PS4 / Pro - SSD - Yay or nay?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 minutes ago, Yukarin said:

PS5 coming out next year or two, SSD inbuilt. Maybe wait?

Or do the sensible thing and get a proper pc setup.

True, but it's unlikely I'll get it as soon as it comes out.
And a proper PC set up? Hell no. lol

2 hours ago, Yukarin said:

Why not?

Cost. Time. Effort. Space.

A console fits in a computer won't.
If my life was different, then my answer would be different.
But my life is what it is. And it won't fit.

Edit: This seems to have caused some confusion, so here's a new version...

Cost. Time. Effort. 
A console fits into my life, whereas a computer does not.

Just now, sonofsammo said:

Mini-ITX pc. Problem solved space wise.

But fair enough, I won't keep pushing you to make a good decision 😂.

I have a new SSD in my PS3, even though its hampered by the SATA 1 bus, I do see a noticeable difference in random read and write times if not maximum read and write. 

I would wait for the PS5 personally. 

16 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Cost is true but space not really plenty of small gaming PCs out there if that is a real issue. Hassle/ time true PC probably would need more effort than a console.

https://business.currys.co.uk/buy-rent/N246003W?cidp=Froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq97uBRCwARIsADTziyaIl9ujXthh_Lq0jfYh6oGhJBF0c2hQ9fyNXO6oaDTBJnDfFg1iG8oaAjwiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.ebuyer.com/881435-msi-trident-a-9sc-085eu-i5-2060-gaming-pc-9s6-b92611-085#gallery-modal

As for your initial question. It depends how much loading times bother you really as I don't hear of any other reason to use a SSD. 

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

PS4 Pro has a volume of 22.7L, cases are available which are less than 4L capable of running most titles at 4K60, so this particular statement is complete BS.

Aside from that, PS4 only has a SATA2 bus, so the advantage of installing an SSD is very minimal, as modern SATA3 ssd's fully saturate a SATA2 bus at about 23% of their capability. So at best, you would load stuff about 6% faster. Pro has SATA3, but hasn't got mature enough drivers to really make full use of it, and you won't see any advantages because of that over the standard PS4. 

1 hour ago, GiantKiwi said:

PS4 Pro has a volume of 22.7L, cases are available which are less than 4L capable of running most titles at 4K60, so this particular statement is complete BS.

I'm not sure why people are having such a problem with this.
The statement is not BS. 
A computer DOES NOT FIT INTO MY LIFE.
I'm not sure why that's so confusing to everyone.
And someone saying I'm talking bullshit about my life and what fits in it? Seriously?
So to help clarify, I will rewrite the post to avoid any confusion.

And as far as I know the PS4 Pro has a SATA 3 bus...

1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

I'm not sure why people are having such a problem with this.
The statement is not BS. 
A computer DOES NOT FIT INTO MY LIFE.
I'm not sure why that's so confusing to everyone.
And someone saying I'm talking bullshit about my life and what fits in it? Seriously?
So to help clarify, I will rewrite the post to avoid any confusion.

And as far as I know the PS4 Pro has a SATA 3 bus...

Clarify your wording in future then. Contextually the original reads as a consideration in physical size, nothing else, so wind your neck in.

I also covered the SATA3

1 hour ago, GiantKiwi said:

Pro has SATA3, but hasn't got mature enough drivers to really make full use of it, and you won't see any advantages because of that over the standard PS4.

6 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Clarify your wording in future then. Contextually the original reads as a consideration in physical size, nothing else, so wind your neck in.

I'm sorry you couldn't understand my meaning. That is an utter failure of my ability to use language accurately to convey meaning.
By aiming for brevity, I lost the opportunity to elucidate.
However, context is provided in the entirety of what was written in that post.
You chose to focus on one of four elements. To fit in is an idiomatic expression, not just an expression of physical reality.
I apologise profusely and have now wound my neck in so far I now resemble a tortoise.

• Supporters

I too occasionally "game" too, but the PS4 is in the bedroom & gets used more for various streaming apps, Netflix/prime etc, something a pc, especially a high end gaming set up wouldn't be of use, so I get where he's coming from 👍

The main problem with a PC is you have to become a massive douche canoe and tell everyone about it. All. The. Time. Also sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard. 

And tell everyone you're superior. 

There also ruinously expensive for a good one, and you need a decent monitor rather than using your nice TV which you most likely already have. 

And  you have to tell everyone you’re a PC MASTER RACE GAMER all the time. 

And know about frame frame rates and computery things. 

And tell everyone about your PC and how it makes you superior to them. 

😂

41 minutes ago, E21A said:

The main problem with a PC is you have to become a massive douche canoe and tell everyone about it. All. The. Time. Also sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard. 

And tell everyone you're superior. 

There also ruinously expensive for a good one, and you need a decent monitor rather than using your nice TV which you most likely already have. 

And  you have to tell everyone you’re a PC MASTER RACE GAMER all the time. 

And know about frame frame rates and computery things. 

And tell everyone about your PC and how it makes you superior to them. 

😂

No idea what you're talking about...

fkin console peasants

1 hour ago, E21A said:

The main problem with a PC is you have to become a massive douche canoe and tell everyone about it. All. The. Time. I won't dispute this!

Also sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard. Wrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

And tell everyone you're superior. Nor here

There also ruinously expensive for a good one, and you need a decent monitor rather than using your nice TV which you most likely already have. Wrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

And  you have to tell everyone you’re a PC MASTER RACE GAMER all the time. Nor here

And know about frame frame rates and computery things. Nor here

And tell everyone about your PC and how it makes you superior to them. Nor here

😂

2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I'm sorry you couldn't understand my meaning. That is an utter failure of my ability to use language accurately to convey meaning.
By aiming for brevity, I lost the opportunity to elucidate.
However, context is provided in the entirety of what was written in that post.
You chose to focus on one of four elements. To fit in is an idiomatic expression, not just an expression of physical reality.
I apologise profusely and have now wound my neck in so far I now resemble a tortoise.

By aiming for brevity, the post had no relevance to your intent.

I chose to focus on an element, for brevity, but gave context relevant to the entire entity.

Either way, fine, PC's aren't ideal for some people. Putting an SSD in a PS4 (even a Pro) is complete waste of time and money though, having done it to my Pro out of boredom. I didn't have to pay for one, having a couple of dozen's sitting around. Loading time difference on BF1 with and without an SSD has a grand old difference of 9 seconds.

2 hours ago, E21A said:

Where exactly did you get that inference from? Got a fair chance at owning more consoles than most, given that I collect the things to a stupid extent. 

• Supporters

heres-one-for-those-who-love-both-pcand-consoles-and-4048217.png

9 hours ago, GiantKiwi said:

By aiming for brevity, the post had no relevance to your intent.

I chose to focus on an element, for brevity, but gave context relevant to the entire entity.

Either way, fine, PC's aren't ideal for some people. Putting an SSD in a PS4 (even a Pro) is complete waste of time and money though, having done it to my Pro out of boredom. I didn't have to pay for one, having a couple of dozen's sitting around. Loading time difference on BF1 with and without an SSD has a grand old difference of 9 seconds.

Where exactly did you get that inference from? Got a fair chance at owning more consoles than most, given that I collect the things to a stupid extent. 

Dude, you really need to pull the stick out your arse and lighten up 😂

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Don't wanna fan the flames again lol, but my son (who's xbox1), sent me (PS4) this pm, little twat 😒

received_973190279728777.jpeg

I've (very) recently changed from a normal PS4 with SSD to a PS4 Pro with normal HDD and in all honesty can't tell any difference in loading times at all. I also can't really tell any difference in the graphics quality either but that is another story...

(also PC Gaming sucks) 😛🤣

Archived