Help me with a "not sure if exist" problem

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hi guys

So one of the things I've been doing with my m4 is a sort of half hearted copy of inrange tv's weed rifle. < The autocorrect is funnier but that's meant to be "wwsd" rifle :P

It's not perfect, but I am running an sp1 style stock (which I preferr to tube stocks anyway) and I managed to half inch some carbon fiber test peices from work and made a free float tube out of one of them.

Which gives me a rifle that's wonderfully balanced and cool as hell.

Problem is the way it's attached, and the kinda bad at having holes drilled in it nature of carbon I've not had much luck with simply bolting on a stub of rail for mounting the torch/bipod I occasionally find need of using.

I was wondering if there's such a thing as a clamp, like those barrel clamp rails but bigger and not as terrible, that I can use to bolt stuff on to, currently I have no rail real-estate apart from the receiver, which is filled with scope.

I've found some for attaching an end to a scope, but they're all 1"/30mm fitment and my tube is 38mm.

Does this exist or am I gonna have to get an "essential test fixture" made up that just happens to fit perfectly....

• Supporters

Pictures would help ?

I have a "part", feck knows what it's called, that gives me short sections of ris on 3 sides, slides over the barrel & tightens with a grub screw ?.

I'll try to find it tomorrow & post up a pic.

• Supporters

The scope mount ones are like this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077GC8BLB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_i2Y1DbPWJ0CVW

Basically I'm interested in anything that's low profile, clamps onto a 38mm tube and has a short stub of rail on it.

• Supporters

I tried, problem is twofold, firstly the way the handguard is on its just threaded so it'll rotate, second is carbon's not a good material for drilling holes in.

Hence wanting to go the clamping route, I can adjust it to be square if needs be

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, BigAl said:

You could use a long rail that clamps onto receiver.  Another possibility is an MP5SD torch mount, don’t know diameter of an MP5 can offhand though. 

are reciever rails like that a thing?

i'm currently running through a design and maybe see if i can get a colleague to 3d print one to see if it fits.

• Supporters

I'd say that if you can't get the M-Lok slots machined into the CF tube and attach rail sections that way, your best bet would be to either screw into the rail from inside the tube (clearance hole in the top, drill and tap the rail, access holes on the opposite side of the tube) or just bond a rail section on with epoxy (which would probably be stronger if you can line it up properly).

Archived