Beginner Gun

josh200025
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am looking into buying my brother his first airsoft gun as a Christmas present as he’s recently started playing and just got his UKARA. Is the G&G CM16 still considered the best beginner gun or is something along the lines of Specna Arms better? I also see a brand ‘Arcturus’ on Taiwan Gun which seems like really good value.

@L3wisD you seem to be a big fan of Specna, give me some insight please.

• Supporters

Are we to assume ar/M4 platforms are all he's interested in ?, depending on your budget, there's a lot of other stuff worth having for not a lot of dosh.

12 minutes ago, E21A said:

Either CM16 or equivalent specna is going to serve you well. Pick the one you like the look of best and don’t forget the other essentials 

13 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Are we to assume ar/M4 platforms are all he's interested in ?, depending on your budget, there's a lot of other stuff worth having for not a lot of dosh.

Don't worry he will piggy back off all the other shit I have collected too, can you please elaborate Tackle? I am assuming you mean something along the lines of a Cyma AK?

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, josh200025 said:

Don't worry he will piggy back off all the other shit I have collected too, can you please elaborate Tackle? I am assuming you mean something along the lines of a Cyma AK?

i think it's more a case of if he has money and likes X gun then maybe there's a good one out there in his budget that might suit.

the m4 might be a good platform, and popular for good reason, but it isn't the only thing out there and it's ok to love the finer things in life.

if he's into his ak's then a cyma's not a bad shout, sure it's no lct/E&l but they're not half bad shooters for the money, neither are jg (despite jg's not entirely stellar reputation)

or maybe he'd like a p90, or an aug, or something else.

• Supporters

I'd agree that the G&G Raiders, and the Specna EDGE range are the best value at their respective price points.  Even most basic CYMA M4s and AKs do actually function though, they just have cheap feeling externals.

It's really a question of budget: how much do you like your brother?

• Supporters
2 hours ago, josh200025 said:

can you please elaborate Tackle? I am assuming you mean something along the lines of a Cyma AK?

As has been mentioned, some JG kit is pretty good, a teammate ran a JG Aug for a few years with no probs, in using a cyma M14 socom a lot at the mo & I gotta say it's up there with my old TM M14.

Don't get me wrong, I like AR's & have a few, but their so "vanilla" nowadays, every man & his dog has one on sites, getting a bit meh, & even when a manufacturer announces its "NEW" xr16.2 terminator or some other ridiculous name, & you click on the link & fuck me, it's another bastardised M4 variant......yawn🤭

As others have stated it really depends on budget allocation and what platforms he likes/are suitable.

The G&G CM16 has a good reputation for a reason but as @Rogerborg has highlighted, there are other options which are just as good (if not better). @Adolf Hamster and @Tackle also raise valid points about there being many more viable options available in the event you/he wants to break away from the herd.

I’ve looked into the SMG8 by WE as currently it’s selling for £130 on GunFire though I haven’t heard the best reviews, there is also the ARP 9 on GunFire currently for £150😱

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, josh200025 said:

I’ve looked into the SMG8 by WE as currently it’s selling for £130 on GunFire though I haven’t heard the best reviews, there is also the ARP 9 on GunFire currently for £150😱

Out of the two, I'd go with the arp9.

2 hours ago, josh200025 said:

if your brother isn't a full grown yet then the ARP9 will be great, light but holds its own. 

Specna Edge is pretty damn good for the money as well.  Paying above the cost of these usually net features vs performance/consistency upgrades. 

Just go with whatever you actually like, and don't feel afraid to get something odd. 

I actually started with an AGM Sten and a handful of low caps. 

I don't know what your budget is, but spending a little more on a gun will pay off if you buy something decent first time round. 

I'm not a fan of M4s, I can recommend the cyma 048 AK range, they are very cheap on Taiwan gun. You'd actually struggle to get one cheaper second hand in the UK. 

Tbh I'd just buy him an asg MP40, and 5 extra mags as they're ludicrously cheap on Taiwan gun, they're a bit unusual and if he doesn't like it you'll sell it for what you paid for it. 

But then I'm a bit odd when it comes to gun choices. 

I would go for an old school TM AEG from Fire Support and know that it will hold value if looked after and last for years too.

AK, MP5, M4, FN P90 and FAMAS options available between £199 and £250, and in stock.

Archived