RMR's on Pistols.

Cr0-Magnon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For a few months now I've owned a Secutor Rudis Magna (basically a 1911 with RMR), which I'm yet to skirmish. At first I thought this was a cool feature, especially as one came pre-fitted to the RIF (although at £160, it definitely was included rather than free!). However a few observations have lead me to feel that not only is it useless but actually a pain. The first thing I noticed was residue from the blowback action sprays over the screen, leaving it dotted with marks. Secondly and more importantly it turns off and on as you shoot, in fact after running a few mags through it at the weekend, the whole unit was very loose.

I could loctite the screws, which I assume would solve these issues but then how would I change the batteries when the time comes? Even if I find a solution, are there any benefits over a nice fibre optic front sight?

Anyone here use one on their pistol and wouldn't be without?

They look Gucci Operator as fuck.

Thats about it really. Like all other cheap airsoft optics, theyll eat batteries like theyre going out of fashion, wont hold a zero against the recoil and I find they just get in the way.

4 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

wont hold a zero against the recoil and I find they just get in the way.

Yes, that's the other thing. Definitely doesn't hold its zero and it requires me to buy a new holster with a cut-out.

• Supporters

I think the problem is that beyond any technical difficulties it's a pain to get the dot into view, you end up using the irons to find it which kind of defeats the purpose of having a red dot in the first place.

Generally if they're close then instinct shooting is the order of the day, if they're far enough away that you need to aim properly irons are ok.

For sure red dots on anything with a shoulder stock are a massive boon for speed aiming I'm just not convinced pistols work best with them.

All that said, they are incredibly operator.

It wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't for having to use the ugly base plate/rear sight to cover the gap in the slide underneath. Apart from that it shoots amazingly, so it's a shame. I would definitely swap the slide if I could find a reasonably priced alternative.

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

All that said, they are incredibly operator.

If only I could pull the overall look off!

4 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

The rmr that the secutor comes with is pure trash. Throw it out and get an ace1arms one.

I've had 2 rudis magnas. Great pistols. But, both rmrs were trash.

Interesting...will look into it.

I have a TM micro RMR on a Hi-Capa DOR and I must be the exception as I really get on with it and find it extremely useful and much faster to acquire then engage targets. Can’t comment on battery life as only used it a handful of times. 

However, I may be the lucky exception as most people who ask to have a look and feel really struggle to acquire the dot. 

• Supporters

I can't even get my cheap RMR knock off to hold zero fitted to an AEG let alone a GBB pistol, and that's with the screws done up tight.  It's one of the few things where I'd have to grudgingly agree that if you're going to get one, don't cheap out.

On 20/11/2019 at 13:28, AK47frizzle said:

The rmr that the secutor comes with is pure trash. Throw it out and get an ace1arms one.

I've had 2 rudis magnas. Great pistols. But, both rmrs were trash.

Any recomendations on which Ace1arms model?

Also, what do the different nozzles actually do? I was told the one in the box (has like a metal insert through it) was for green gas but that doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Any recomendations on which Ace1arms model?

Also, what do the different nozzles actually do? I was told the one in the box (has like a metal insert through it) was for green gas but that doesn't seem right.

literally just something like this: https://wolfarmouries.co.uk/ace-1-arms-rmr-red-dot-sight-with-mounting-screws-airsoft.html

One nozzle has a smaller diameter than the other, which means the larger one outputs more fps

Archived