I have a UPS problem....

AK47frizzle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, if anyone remembers, I bought a SRU bullpup kit for the KC02 back in May. It was off evike, so thus charges etc. I paid the import fees 29 minutes after I received the email of said charges. Great. Except, they fucked off for 2 weeks and I even made a status about it. The package didn't arrive until the 10th June.

All is well... right? Na. About a month ago, I received a letter regarding more charges on the package by UPS. £109.20 EXTRA! I thought it was a scam since it had poor grammar and the typical "dear customer". So, I ignored it. They wanted an extra £109.20 for a 123.75 USD item, ontop of a £44.34 import charge fee that I paid in advance. Blasphemy. 

However, I received another letter regarding the matter. Still poor grammer and the same shit. Telling me to contact this "rscarr" guy. Ignored. Then, a few days ago, I received a "FINAL NOTICE" that, if I didn't pay it, they'll send their "solicitors" to chase the debt. With no explanation on how to pay or anything.

So, I finally emailed the guy to stop false charging me for no reason. And apparently, this charge is for "storage charges". "STORAGE CHARGES". What "storage" charge? What was there to "store"? I had paid the charges on the dot and expected it arri..... oh. So, they want to charge ME, the guy who never got his package immediately with no explantion, £109.20 for them fucking off to the middle of nowhere? Fuck off UPS. 

Currently, this "rscarr" guy has heared my side of the story and is forwarding it to the "brokerage team" about the "storage charges". I believe I should've been rightly notified about these hidden charges. But, I wasn't. And now they want me to cover for their mistakes. 

I'm no legal expert here. But, what should i do in this instance? I can probably dig up evidence of the delay. If they still pursue the charges, I'm not quite sure what to do other than ignore it. Tbh, I still think this is a scam.

You have had the item though right?

Why the fuck are they now charging you? it does sound all sorts of wrong to be fair..

Luckily the only courier problem I have is they all know be on first name terms as all the big players are dropping boxes off once a week at the moment. The mrs is getting suspicious so I am sending everything to work, but now have no space under my desk for my feet :(

Just now, Albiscuit said:

You have had the item though right?

Why the fuck are they now charging you? it does sound all sorts of wrong to be fair..

Luckily the only courier problem I have is they all know be on first name terms as all the big players are dropping boxes off once a week at the moment. The mrs is getting suspicious so I am sending everything to work, but now have no space under my desk for my feet :(

Their reasoning on the letter IIRC, was that they sometimes omit or don't have time to sort it, so they retroactively charge you later. Like wtf.

So they are charging you for them storing it? Why didn't they just return it to the sender if they were unable to deliver.  Did they even attempt delivery? Seems dodgy

Have you got the parcel yet?

• Supporters

sounds like a scam? i'd leave it until someone with actual authority tries to contact you, if they're using badly worded communications that seem like a scam on first viewing then it's not unreasonable to ignore them as such.

as for the storage charges bollocks, you paid them to deliver an item, you don't pay them to not do the first thing.

I work in shipping and our import team often has to charge storage fees, much to the dismay of the consignee. As a company we look at whose fault  it was that the item was held in storage. If it was a case of paperwork etc not being in order or customs deciding to put a hold on it, then these charges are legitimate. However if it was us (or our warehouse) at fault for whatever reason, then we would absorb them.

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

So they are charging you for them storing it? Why didn't they just return it to the sender if they were unable to deliver.  Did they even attempt delivery? Seems dodgy

Have you got the parcel yet?

Ye I did a while ago. And nope. No more notifications of deliveries apart from the first one on the 28th may.

Specific dates would help imo, i.e.:

What time did the package arrive/what time did they let you know about the charges?

What time did you pay the customs charges(I know you've covered this but helps explain my thinking)?

What time did they acknowledge receipt of customs charge? Did you let them know?

What date did the package finally turn up?

_____

The closest number I can get with the assumption that £13 = the charge, is £104 - 8 days worth of storage.

• Supporters

Is there any chance that the delay is because it got held up by Border Farce?  Either way, it's nothing that you've done, failed to do, or that you could have avoided.

That aside, I'd be asking UPS to send me a copy of the contract where I agreed to pay these charges.  (Hint: their contract is with the sender, not you).  Absent that, what they're sending you is merely a speculative invoice.

You're emailing this "rscarr" chap at an @ups.com address, right?

I will also add that our SOP is to invoice the consignee and receive payment prior to releasing the cargo. Don't think we'd dream of trying to claw them back months later. So possibly someone at UPS has cocked-up and is trying it on.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Is there any chance that the delay is because it got held up by Border Farce?  Either way, it's nothing that you've done, failed to do, or that you could have avoided.

That aside, I'd be asking UPS to send me a copy of the contract where I agreed to pay these charges.  (Hint: their contract is with the sender, not you).  Absent that, what they're sending you is merely a speculative invoice.

This. Ask for the contract you entered into with them where it specifically asks you to pay the storage costs and where you have signed to agree to this. 

Why did they even store it in the first place if you paid original fees immediately? You buy, you pay import, you receive. Where's the wait time occured? 🤔

• Supporters

All charges are prior to release of item, if you paid duty & vat on the day it was demanded, then there is no reason for storage, if a company can get an item across the world in less than 24hrs, they should have got yours to you the day after payment was received, any delay & subsequent charges are down to them & their shoddy working practices.

Hell, you should be charging them for preventing you from using your kit, which by my reckoning they owe you £91 🤔

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MAX DICKER said:

Maybe you should counter charge them for time spent deciphering their barely legible correspondence.

Litigant in person costs can be recouped at £19 an hour plus directly incurred expenses, last I checked.  Since they're threatening legal action.

46 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Litigant in person costs can be recouped at £19 an hour plus directly incurred expenses, last I checked.  Since they're threatening legal action.

In theory yes.  In reality, very slim chance.  Parking, public transport, fuel, absolutely.  Anything else, they would have had to put together a particularly incompetent case.

Alrighty:

Letter 1:

20191120_203023.thumb.jpg.883249a4d64d386420f07e7df1a22a70.jpg

Letter 2:

20191120_203041.thumb.jpg.fcea7f06e5a8c8fe30ca6becbe601ce6.jpg

Letter 3:

20191120_203052.thumb.jpg.305a8640bb630fada56d2aaa8e4d8259.jpg

Evidence of them fucking off:

b2b3c0b56c34210d71f8fcbfa23cea38.thumb.png.7e0eff7a21d239c8cb539ea0ef3df988.png

Now, I take pictures of every package I receive. And this picture was taken on the 10th June as evidenced:

cf1ec78bcba0db6189105ac9720294c8.thumb.jpg.30dcc1589cfa8d91a025c5b6ba17f2ab.jpg

7 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Specific dates would help imo, i.e.:

What time did the package arrive/what time did they let you know about the charges?

What time did you pay the customs charges(I know you've covered this but helps explain my thinking)?

What time did they acknowledge receipt of customs charge? Did you let them know?

What date did the package finally turn up?

_____

The closest number I can get with the assumption that £13 = the charge, is £104 - 8 days worth of storage.

Arrived like midday 10th june, import was emailed to me 28th may at 12:18pm.

I have no time that I paid, but was acknowledged on 28th may 12:47pm in an email. So, not even half an hour.

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

No idea tbh. The tracking from the screenshot above kept saying "warehouse scan" over and over. And ye, emailing this "rscarr" guy.

If it were me, I’d ignore any contact details you’ve been sent,, look up UPS customer enquiries number and ring it to confirm all the details, then decide what you want to do

As Dogbert said I would avoid the details you've been sent and I would get straight onto their complaints team as they will be able to confirm the legitimacy and also if you make enough noise you'll be able to get it cleared. However if you've got a payment receipt for the customs charges as soon as reasonable (1 or 2 working days normally) then they've not got a leg to stand on really.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, E21A said:

If you paid the amount of tax’s, fees etc requested and have the parcel in your possession I’d be telling them to go fuck themselves even if it’s legit.  

Agree, tell em to fuck off, even if it's legit, it screams of some kinda "Ryanair" style scam where a company tried every loophole to squeeze a bit more from punters, even if 1 in 10  bites it's a massive boost to its income.

Shysters

Archived