TAG rounds; safety and legality?

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So apropos of nothing I've decided I need a grenade launcher. I was going to get the shower shells till someone pointed out the existence of TAG round compatible shells and whilst expensive they're not as bad as I would've guessed.

A few things worry me about them though, firstly the rifling in the tubes; I'm not familiar with firearm legislation but this strikes me as Probably Not Okay? Also the reaper rounds that go bang and flash look amazing, but what happens if they hit a person? Is there anything in the design to make that safe or are you looking at impact injury and potentially setting clothes on fire?

Are these just a fun toy that should by no means be allowed near humans or what?

4 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Also the reaper rounds that go bang and flash look amazing, but what happens if they hit a person? Is there anything in the design to make that safe or are you looking at impact injury and potentially setting clothes on fire?

I have used these - and they're awesome!
However, I have had a couple of mishaps with reapers.
1) I launched one, which bounced off the ground and hit someone in the head, as it exploded. He was "fine", but disorientated and back in the game after a ten minute sit down. I, however, felt like a total cunt and put the launcher away for the day.
2) I was loading my launcher and the round went off at my feet. I was fine, but disorientated and back in the game after a five minute sit down. As, however, I felt like a total cunt, I put the launcher away for the rest of the day.
ymmv...

7 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

So apropos of nothing I've decided I need a grenade launcher. I was going to get the shower shells till someone pointed out the existence of TAG round compatible shells and whilst expensive they're not as bad as I would've guessed.

A few things worry me about them though, firstly the rifling in the tubes; I'm not familiar with firearm legislation but this strikes me as Probably Not Okay? Also the reaper rounds that go bang and flash look amazing, but what happens if they hit a person? Is there anything in the design to make that safe or are you looking at impact injury and potentially setting clothes on fire?

Are these just a fun toy that should by no means be allowed near humans or what?

I dislike them.  Particularly reapers.

When TAGs first came out a paintball magfed retailer began to bring them in, their status was questioned, and with that plus the matter of whether or not an event organiser would permit players to use them they were dropped by the retailer.

Off the top of my head I can’t remember if their status was veering on the dodgy side of the law or whether he opted for them not being worth the cost against potential sales 

4 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I, however, felt like a total cunt and put the launcher away for the day. 

Oh man that sounds horrible; sometimes the worst does happen even when everyone has diligently followed the safety brief but it wouldn't make you feel any better when you're facing the very real possibility of having burnt someone's face. That said, it sounds like you came as close as you can come and the person was shocked but fine? 

3 hours ago, E21A said:

No more dangerous than a mk5 

Are they as loud as that? I don't like those Mk5s, had tinnitus for a day after one went off in the room I was in and I wasn't even that close. I always wear active hearing protection these days. 

24 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I don't like those Mk5s, had tinnitus for a day after one went off in the room I was in and I wasn't even that close.

Probably not the best of ideas for you then, have been nutted by one in the past (standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, like taking a fast served tennis ball to your sack) close proximity they're quite a bit louder than mk5's.

7 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Are they as loud as that? I don't like those Mk5s, had tinnitus for a day after one went off in the room I was in and I wasn't even that close. I always wear active hearing protection these days. 

Reaper rounds are noticeably louder than mk5s, if you can’t handle mk5s then I’d probably avoid tags. 

Mind you, the whole idea of tags os that they’re far away from you when they go off. 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Perfectly legal in the UK

In EnglandandWalesshire. In Scotland, I'd call "airgun" on that, and you'd need a license.

They appear to be close to the 16.27J (12 foot pound) limit for an airgun.  I'm seeing numbers like about 32m/s and about 30g giving 15.36J, but sellers seem reticent to actually specify kinetic energy.

Probably won't be an issue, until it is.

10 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Oh man that sounds horrible; sometimes the worst does happen even when everyone has diligently followed the safety brief but it wouldn't make you feel any better when you're facing the very real possibility of having burnt someone's face. That said, it sounds like you came as close as you can come and the person was shocked but fine? 

He was fine and dandy afterwards 😄 

I think I felt worse than he did! 😂

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

In EnglandandWalesshire. In Scotland, I'd call "airgun" on that, and you'd need a license.

They appear to be close to the 16.27J (12 foot pound) limit for an airgun.  I'm seeing numbers like about 32m/s and about 30g giving 15.36J, but sellers seem reticent to actually specify kinetic energy.

Probably won't be an issue, until it is.

see this is the thing that worries me about these airsoft accessories, cool as they are i wonder what plod's reaction to an airgun that fires explosive ammunition is going to be.

because when it comes down to it that's what it could end up being classified as, worse if the velocity you're quoting is off and it's above the airgun limit.

of course in ni best i can make out it'd be similar to scotland- you'd need a license. and the problem is i'm not sure what site insurance is going to say about registered firearms (for want of a better term) being used in-game.

outside of the foggy legal minefield that all of airsoft stands on i'm of 2 minds about it, on the one hand they're cool and don't look that bad for smokes/timed grenades, seems at range it's unlikely to be worse than being domed by a pyro.

although i've seen the impact ones in action and good lord those are terrifying, feels like it's one badly timed window peek away from doing some serious harm. 

There’s a video of someone taking one to the chest from about 15 meters and he said it was fine. People need to stop being bitches. 

18 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

There’s a video of someone taking one to the chest from about 15 meters and he said it was fine. People need to stop being bitches. 

This. 

Ypure far far more likely to blow your finger off with a mk5 than cause injury with a tag round 

21 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Aye. 

And if people are sensible, and not daft c**ts, there's no reason for them to get banned either.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Was that someone a kid, were they wearing full face or just some mesh goggles.

Because regardless of our opinions on wether or not we're happy with the state of the hobby's safety provisions the sad fact is some sites you'll see that happening and we need to cater for it.

I'm sure on a milsim field full of rough tough men who know what they're letting themselves in for and are cool with it it's just fine, but i'd rather not see the day when someone gets the right combo of bad luck.

@Adolf Hamster don’t all under 18’s have to wear full face anyway? 

Pretty sure it it was a grown man and it was done as a test to stop people whining about them. Isn’t there a vid of that American you tuber catching one midair and throwing it back too? It’s literally just foam. It’s not spraying off red hot ‘sparks’ like most pyro we throw are so to me they’re inherently less dangerous. Can they be abused? Of course, but so can anything in airsoft. 

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Pretty sure it it was a grown man and it was done as a test to stop people whining about them. Isn’t there a vid of that American you tuber catching one midair and throwing it back too? It’s literally just foam. It’s not spraying off red hot ‘sparks’ like most pyro we throw are so to me they’re inherently less dangerous. Can they be abused? Of course, but so can anything in airsoft. 

I've seen some folk not going for full face on the younger side, although mesh full face is a thing at some sites. I suppose you could expand "kid" to "someone who's new enough to the sport to not understand the danger".

I'm not worried about the impact itself, assuming it's from extended range, It's the whole exploding immediately bit makes me uneasy, i suppose a similar argument can be made for any impact grenade.

Of course i may be falling victim to appearances here, i'm just going off what i've seen of them going off, been fortunate not to have been hit with one yet. I'd much rather the timed ones were used, at least that swings the odds to it going off at your feet.

1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

It depends on which shell.

Basic shells are just foam, there are also ones that contain powder and the reaper is a pyrotechnic that explodes after launching 

5 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Basic shells are just foam, there are also ones that contain powder and the reaper is a pyrotechnic that explodes after launching 

It’s still made of foam though, and the fuse on reapers are concealed internally. Unlike a mk5 which has open flame 

4 minutes ago, E21A said:

It’s still made of foam though, and the fuse on reapers are concealed internally. Unlike a mk5 which has open flame 

You explained it better than me. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Yeah, the ones I'm specifically thinking of are the impact detonation, just an immediate boom. I don't mind the idea of timed/smoke/lump o foam.

Maybe even if the impact detonation ones had a second delay it would be better.

Archived