WE Vs TM Hicapas

Milk__
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

pretty simple. WE is a clone of TM, but make there guns form "zinc-alloy" metal (essential pot metal). TM make theirs out of polymer due to japanese laws but have tighter tolerances, better quality checks, and if taken care of their guns last longer with better efficiency and more consistent performance. 

I used to own a WE p226, and it didnt take long for the loading nozzle to break, and for part of the slide where the blowback housing was to shear a bit off itself.

The only decent WE gun I’ve ever owned is a Glock.

Everything else performed poorly, wore out quickly, or just broke. I’ve had WE Hi-Capa’s, M4’s, G36, PX4 none of which I’d buy again, but I’d happily buy a WE Glock any day

Sadly IMO it's TM or nothing. And if you don't like plastic slides another 90 quid for an aluminium one, if you really like Hi Capas and are prepared to save.  That is the route I followed and I don't regret it. My gun worked really well with the plastic slide though, and at least the frame on the Marui is metal.

The WE will probably not last long without problems. Some people have been lucky. The AW ones are essentially WEs, with more attractive exteriors and  better quality control  I had one and it was certainly accurate. But even they have problems. You can pay £140 minimum or upt to £200 for an AW or you can buy a TM with a metal slide from Mike Cripps for £220. I think I know which will last longer. Yet most people aren't prepared to pay the same price for a pistol that would get them a very decent aeg rifle that will never run out of power or  be affected by the cold..

Some say get the KJW KP05, which is probably betterthan WE as pot metal guns go, but it is also prone to problems, especially in cold weather. And the finish will wear off quite quickly. All the metal ones are made to a price. TM are made to a standard.

4 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

The only decent WE gun I’ve ever owned is a Glock.

Everything else performed poorly, wore out quickly, or just broke. I’ve had WE Hi-Capa’s, M4’s, G36, PX4 none of which I’d buy again, but I’d happily buy a WE Glock any day

I concur.

• Supporters

Have owned both, WE was shit, you can prob lock the thread now, what am bestest pistols etc has been done to death the last few weeks, 99.9% percent will tell you TM, & the odd "speshul" person will vouch for WE lol 🤪

• Supporters

if you're gonna have a hicapa then get the tm one.

we's are all right but aren't to the same standards, really the only reason not to choose a tm for a given pistol design is if tm doesn't make it.

21 hours ago, Tackle said:

Have owned both, WE was shit, you can prob lock the thread now, what am bestest pistols etc has been done to death the last few weeks, 99.9% percent will tell you TM, & the odd "speshul" person will vouch for WE lol 🤪

Sorry to fall into your “speshul” stereotype category 

I started playing airsoft only 18 months ago , I play at least once a month and use a WE G17 , the very few times that I have had to use it , it has never failed me

i could have had two for the price of a new TM, but would have been a false economy for me. Have I been lucky and got a good one? Or are you all blowing smoke up one & others arses about being “Super Speshul” in an exclusive ( read expensive) club , make your associate feel better about spending more money on a pistol pew-pew!

Im not buying it , literally 😉👍

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Sorry to fall into your “speshul” stereotype category 

I started playing airsoft only 18 months ago , I play at least once a month and use a WE G17 , the very few times that I have had to use it , it has never failed me

i could have had two for the price of a new TM, but would have been a false economy for me. Have I been lucky and got a good one? Or are you all blowing smoke up one & others arses about being “Super Speshul” in an exclusive ( read expensive) club , make your associate feel better about spending more money on a pistol pew-pew!

Im not buying it , literally 😉👍

That's funny, I thought We were comparing Hi-Capas from WE & TM........not Glocks ?.

so-speshul_o_722101.jpg

14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

That's funny, I thought We were comparing Hi-Capas from WE & TM........not Glocks ?.

Does the QC differ between the models from either of the manufacturers? 🤔

Does the quality change between the model from either of the two manufacturer’s?

is everything from WE substandard, except for their G range? 🤔

22 hours ago, Milk__ said:

Yeah, I knew what responses would come, just wanted to see people experiences of them

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, and should be, is that the newer WEs aren't fully TM-compatible; in fact not very much above their frame rails is TM-compatible, which means they're incompatible with a lot of what the aftermarket has to offer. WE's decision to upgrade to the larger BBU is arguably something TM should have done 10 years ago to every gun in their lineup, but until either TM follows suit or the aftermarket decides to support WE alone (highly unlikely) the WEs are out in the cold. KnucklesGSM is probably the foremost YouTube authority on the Hi-Capa - here's his take:

12 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Does the quality change between the model from either of the two manufacturer’s?

Yes, it absolutely does. The WE Glocks have a really pretty good reputation. The WE Hi-Capas had a cataclysmally bad reputation (literally as one of the worst pistols on the market), which has improved to "still not as good as TM". Even TM make a couple of bad pistols: the Five-seveN is notoriously fragile, for example. The difference is that virtually all of TM's range is really good (within the usual constraints of being all-ABS) whereas a lot of WE's range is mediocre verging on the sub-par.

WE have improved a lot in recent years. A lot of the flaws in their guns are reasonable considering how incredibly inexpensive they are - their Glocks' propensity to snap their outer barrels is less irritating when you're only paying $80 for the pistol, for example. I am a gigantic snob, but even I am thinking about picking up one of their MOS Glocks when they're released - they're so cheap it'll make a good tester and loaner gun. A lot of their guns are pretty good on their own merits - their GBBRs are widely liked - and some of their stuff doesn't have a competitor, like their (admittedly deeply flawed) GBB P90. All of their stuff is still subject to the same rules as always when it comes to cheap metal guns: low-quality metallurgy means heavy but fragile parts that wear quickly and break easily.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

As Pure silver has kindly pointed out, & that I had also heard previously, the Glocks are THE go to pistol within the WE range, & everything else is mediocre at best.

Which is a shame as I've got a serious hankering for a px4 sub-compact, but only WE make them, what to do ?.

On the subject of Glocks, I've got a KSC G19, metal slide model, first pistol, didn't miss a beat in over 17 years regular usage, prob still awesome if I give it a clean & lube.

Not just TM making awesome kit.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Actually yes in some cases, I've had in the region of 10 rifles and pistols from each brand and how they stack up definitely depends on what you go for.

It's boring to say but with the TM you pretty much always get a good dependable performing gun ad nauseam.

The WEs vary pretty wildly depending on which particular model you go for. They've improved the brand as a whole over the last 5-7 years or so but there's very much still some pitfalls in their range and the 1911s and Hicapas are at the top on that list. Conversely their Glocks are pretty much universally regarded as solid performers and were definitely a significant part of the reason their upswing started with regards to pistols as the G36 was for their rifles. 

But no not everything is substandard, a lot of it nowadays is alright, but there is still some stuff best left on the shelf *looks disappointedly at my WE M&P*

• Supporters

It must say something that at the moment I'm on the lookout for a pistol for my son's girlfriend, she's not sure what she wants (women eh🙄), & most of what's coming up for sale on a number of forums is made by WE, my interpretation of that is they're not "keepers" ?.

.When it comes the choice of we or tm the way I figure it. Are you solidly using it pistol or will it be more now and again. And are you bothered about cold weather performance. The we t-rex series are not bad for what you get. 

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

It must say something that at the moment I'm on the lookout for a pistol for my son's girlfriend, she's not sure what she wants (women eh🙄), & most of what's coming up for sale on a number of forums is made by WE, my interpretation of that is they're not "keepers" ?.

That would have something to do with the fact that WE pistols sell well, because they are cheaper than most of their competitors and they provide lots of different models to choose from. If you want a Makarov, Tokarev, Browning, Beretta Cheetah, P38 etc. WE are your automatic go to.

So there are bound to be more of them on the market.

As Hero Shark says, they are not that bad. If you want a belt hanger for emergency use, they look good and are generally fine for occasional use. Some of the VFC and KWA pistols are also underwhelming in terms of reliability, but they cost considerably more and parts availability can be a problem.

In my opinion, WE are a step up in quality from KWC and not much inferior to KJW. They also make nice collectors' pieces.

12 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

As an aside if you must have bells and whistles at a reasonable price the armourers works are genuinely upgraded we and are better generally but they are like a souped up Ford Focus great but still a Ford Focus underneath 

however

if you run pistols exclusively TM 

if you want a decent hicapa with a plan to upgrade its TM

if you want to upgrade for competition it's TM

the answer to any other questions it's TM

On 12/11/2019 at 21:43, Enid_Puceflange said:

It’s all about the combination of design, materials and tolerance. I’ve found WE pistols to be shit. Even the g18c from them couldn’t hit a barn door at 15 meters. I picked up a used TM g18c and it’s not missed a beat all year on propane and it’s FAR more accurate. My friend has an AW glock and that runs well too. 

Yet some of their GBBR’s I’ve found are fantastic like their g36c which is probably the best budget gbbr available. Scar H and mp5 are fantastic too. Yet their scar L is crap despite a near identical design because the mag doesn’t have the gas capacity to cycle the bolt efficiency throughout the mag. That’s why most green gas 1911’s are hopeless unless it’s warm. Nothing wrong with the gun but the mag is too small to hold a sufficient amount of gas. 

I own a WE Glock G23 and it has performed great in all conditions.  No issues with the magazines.

1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

It’s all about the combination of design, materials and tolerance. I’ve found WE pistols to be shit. Even the g18c from them couldn’t hit a barn door at 15 meters. I picked up a used TM g18c and it’s not missed a beat all year on propane and it’s FAR more accurate. My friend has an AW glock and that runs well too. 

Yet some of their GBBR’s I’ve found are fantastic like their g36c which is probably the best budget gbbr available. Scar H and mp5 are fantastic too. Yet their scar L is crap despite a near identical design because the mag doesn’t have the gas capacity to cycle the bolt efficiency throughout the mag. That’s why most green gas 1911’s are hopeless unless it’s warm. Nothing wrong with the gun but the mag is too small to hold a sufficient amount of gas. 

I do believe the WE G23 addressed many issues with the G18 etc..

• Supporters
On 13/11/2019 at 13:50, emilianoksa said:

That would have something to do with the fact that WE pistols sell well, because they are cheaper than most of their competitors and they provide lots of different models to choose from. If you want a Makarov, Tokarev, Browning, Beretta Cheetah, P38 etc. WE are your automatic go to.

So there are bound to be more of them on the market.

As Hero Shark says, they are not that bad. If you want a belt hanger for emergency use, they look good and are generally fine for occasional use. Some of the VFC and KWA pistols are also underwhelming in terms of reliability, but they cost considerably more and parts availability can be a problem.

In my opinion, WE are a step up in quality from KWC and not much inferior to KJW. They also make nice collectors' pieces.

Very well said, yes tm's are the gold standard for out of the box performance, but they dont make everything and we covers a wider range of designs.

Some are terrible (luger), some are pretty good (makarov) and whilst a tm is a more sensible option for heavy use for a "hey bro they kinda close" sidearm they're not bad.

As long as you're aware of the limitations- longevity, out of the box accuracy and cold weather performance then its fine.

But when it comes to a competition between the same guns from we/tm then for sure tm hands down if your priorities are functional.

Archived