Better options than B&T tracer

Cromulon1994
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I've got a B&T tracer unit on my type 97.

It's not massively bright, and it eats AAA batteries. 

Will I see a difference between an acetech and my current B&T? 

I have a Xcortech X301 that replaced a B&T. The XCortech is much brighter. Battery life is OK. I wish it would take standard batteries though for day long games. 

6 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I have a Xcortech X301 that replaced a B&T. The XCortech is much brighter. Battery life is OK. I wish it would take standard batteries though for day long games. 

I would like something that still resembles a moderator. Though the good thing about a 301 is it could fit in other shells. 

I'll take a look. Aren't they a bit fragile? 

Just now, Cromulon1994 said:

I would like something that still resembles a moderator. Though the good thing about a 301 is it could fit in other shells. 

I'll take a look. Aren't they a bit fragile? 

It is a little fragile, but because its smaller it means there is less change of it taking damage. I got it because my B&T's microswitch broke within 2 games. 

Glad you asked this... Been meaning to ask about tracers as I'm required to have one for a game at the end of the month and want to get a decent one rather than spending almost £50 on the B&T they've offered to get me if its a bit 'eh' as you described above!

I've seen fairly good feedback on the acetech/xcortech ones so would assume they're a worthwhile brand to get?

Also, saw a unit from I believe acetech on Amazon yesterday that was almost £100 and had a built in chrono with a link to an app?? Surely that's just a gimmick? Would hardly imagine if you're spending maybe £20-30 more than a normal tracer you're gonna get decent accurate readings from it!

I've got two of the xcortechs, which are ace and I run on pistols.
I've also got one of these:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Silencers_ACETECH_Predator_Tracer_Suppressor_Unit_w_VFC_KAC_Silencer.htm
Which is awesome. I can't comment on battery life as I haven't played with it enough yet to change the batteries.

I ran 2 B&T tracers, both ate through batteries as mentioned, were not too bright and slow (they sound like me), they couldnt always keep up with a high ROF.

I now have a Acetech tracer and LOVE IT!! I wouldnt use any other tracer. They are smaller (less chance of banging on door frames etc, I have seen a B&T one snap on the thread when someone went flying into a wall gun first) the battery last for ages and super bright.

There are various ones available, I have seen the chrono/ROF version (as mentioned) and didnt think much of it but the standard units are great.

They are a little pricey but I Highly recommend!

I have the Xcortech 301 compact super bright and reliable (it's more durable than other tracers, this survives rain no problem), also to recharge in long game days just bring a portable phone charger and charge during breaks but if you have the auto shutoff feature enabled it will last a long time.

7 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

Glad you asked this... Been meaning to ask about tracers as I'm required to have one for a game at the end of the month and want to get a decent one rather than spending almost £50 on the B&T they've offered to get me if its a bit 'eh' as you described above!

I've seen fairly good feedback on the acetech/xcortech ones so would assume they're a worthwhile brand to get?

Also, saw a unit from I believe acetech on Amazon yesterday that was almost £100 and had a built in chrono with a link to an app?? Surely that's just a gimmick? Would hardly imagine if you're spending maybe £20-30 more than a normal tracer you're gonna get decent accurate readings from it!

If you want to try one out, I'll sell my B&T one for £25.

It works, obviously, just not as good as some other options. 

• Supporters

So much misinformation 

B&T tracer is really old tech and basically crap

Marui tracer is generally good and fairly robust but a bit dated tech wise. Only issues is the threads can be weak and some have a power issue that kills the batteries.

Xcortech xt301 is a fragile thing. The threaded section snaps easily if dropped and the way it is packed in to that tiny housing is very iffy. Lots have failed where they won't charge.

The X3300w combined unit works really well but again has problems with being fragile. The tracer end caps get shot off easily so you need to glue them in place. The control unit on newer models has really brittle plastic that doesn't stand up well to bb strikes.

The xt501 is a normal sized tracer  that works well but needs the end gluing same as the x3300w.

Acetech lighter is ok. Can have issues with quality like all the mini tracers but not the worst of them.

The lighter S is basically a rip off of the xcortech xt301.

Acetech predator ( the VFC shrouded one) is laughable. While performance is fine the power led is inside the tube and you can see it quite easily blinking away from the front. No hiding in the dark with that one.

The acetech AT1000 is again another clone of the xcortech xt501 but the build quality is slightly better.

6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I've got two of the xcortechs, which are ace and I run on pistols.
I've also got one of these:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Silencers_ACETECH_Predator_Tracer_Suppressor_Unit_w_VFC_KAC_Silencer.htm
Which is awesome. I can't comment on battery life as I haven't played with it enough yet to change the batteries.

oh no.... this is the exact style of suppressor I want and I currently need a tracer unit... I'm already reaching for my wallet😱😱

4 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

If you want to try one out, I'll sell my B&T one for £25.

It works, obviously, just not as good as some other options. 

No need, as above... 😂 thanks for the offer tho mate👍

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Acetech predator ( the VFC shrouded one) is laughable. While performance is fine the power led is inside the tube and you can see it quite easily blinking away from the front. No hiding in the dark with that one.

Hmm... I guess you just saved me an expensive error then😅

I definitely need robust.

Thanks.

So which would you actually buy? 

12 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

So much misinformation 

B&T tracer is really old tech and basically crap

Marui tracer is generally good and fairly robust but a bit dated tech wise. Only issues is the threads can be weak and some have a power issue that kills the batteries.

Xcortech xt301 is a fragile thing. The threaded section snaps easily if dropped and the way it is packed in to that tiny housing is very iffy. Lots have failed where they won't charge.

The X3300w combined unit works really well but again has problems with being fragile. The tracer end caps get shot off easily so you need to glue them in place. The control unit on newer models has really brittle plastic that doesn't stand up well to bb strikes.

The xt501 is a normal sized tracer  that works well but needs the end gluing same as the x3300w.

Acetech lighter is ok. Can have issues with quality like all the mini tracers but not the worst of them.

The lighter S is basically a rip off of the xcortech xt301.

The acetech AT1000 is again another clone of the xcortech xt501 but the build quality is slightly better.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Cromulon1994 said:

I definitely need robust.

Thanks.

So which would you actually buy? 

If robust is the most important qualification then the marui.

If brightness then either the actech AT1000 or Xcortech xt501 but glue the end caps.

If on a pistol then the normal lighter.

• Supporters

Aside, if you have some basic airsoft tools (drill, soldering iron) and the nous to use them then I'd suggest that the most robust and value-for-money airsoft tracer for an AEG is a a DIY hop-up tracer unit (HUTU), with UV LEDs in the feed tube.

Plenty of how-to guides out there and 3mm UV 3000mcd LEDs are now dirt cheap, easily available, and run directly off of a (nominal) 3.7V li-on battery (18650, 14500 (AA) or even a 10440 (AAA)), so no need to even add a voltage drop resistor.  If you cheap out you're looking at under £10 in parts, and even if you buy a spare hop up chamber, and a whole bunch of LEDs, battery holders, JST/mini-Deans connectors and switches, you're running under £30 with enough spare to do multiple units.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Aside, if you have some basic airsoft tools (drill, soldering iron) and the nous to use them then I'd suggest that the most robust and value-for-money airsoft tracer for an AEG is a a DIY hop-up tracer unit, with UV LEDs in the feed tube.

Plenty of how-to guides out there and 3mm UV 3000mcd LEDs are now dirt cheap, easily available, and run directly off of a (nominal) 3.7V li-on battery (18650, 14500 (AA) or even a 10440 (AAA)), so no need to even add a voltage drop resistor.  If you cheap out you're looking at under £10 in parts, and even if you buy a spare hop up chamber, and a whole bunch of LEDs, battery holders, JST/mini-Deans connectors and switches, you're running under £30 with enough spare to do multiple units.

Maxx do a really good hop up tracer unit.

I have done several before, however, there's very little space in a realsword type 97. 

Nor are spare hop units sitting on the shelf in the local airsoft shop. 

That would have been ideal as I'd like to shove a bayonet on it rather than a tracer. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

I have done several before, however, there's very little space in a realsword type 97. 

Nor are spare hop units sitting on the shelf in the local airsoft shop. 

Can be done but like everything with a 97 it can be a dick. The marui looks good on one of those, mini tracers on either type 97 model look stupid.

97b with a suppressor style unit looks great.

10 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Why you using a tracer in the day time? 🤔

I've had a G&G rechargeable tracer unit for a couple of years now, no batteries, when fully charged has lasted an entire Milsim with plenty of hours put in at night. Compatible with both Red & Green tracers - Can't fault the unit IMO

12 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Can be done but like everything with a 97 it can be a dick. The marui looks good on one of those, mini tracers on either type 97 model look stupid.

97b with a suppressor style unit looks great.

Well, airsoft world have the hop units in for 15 quid. I'll have to get one and make a tracer hop. 

Archived