M203 build expectations. Am I treating it wrong?

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey gents. 

So I took in an M203 equipped M16 recently. 

When I push the launcher into the ejecting/reload position with a fair bit of force behind it, the barrel stop lever is pushed hard enough to eject the M203 off of the rail when reloading (The lever you would usually take off the heatshield and press down on to release). The barrel lever itself is in good condition and the spring is nice and stiff. 

Just wondering if I am just mistreating it and if this happens to all M203 launchers? I haven't ever used one before and just wondering if I need to be fairly gentle putting it into the reloading position. 

Cheers!

R

• Supporters

Funny mine does exactly the same thing. I just assumed it was due to age/knackering.

I solved it by drilling through and putting a bolt above the lever to prevent it from opening, worked fine until some "excited" reloading broke the lever, which took another bolt drilled and tapped this time vertically to replace the lever and stop the end popping off.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Funny mine does exactly the same thing. I just assumed it was due to age/knackering.

I solved it by drilling through and putting a bolt above the lever to prevent it from opening, worked fine until some "excited" reloading broke the lever, which took another bolt drilled and tapped this time vertically to replace the lever and stop the end popping off.

So it sounds like it is by design? I got worried because I only ever seen people take it off by pushing the lever rather then forcing the eject forward. 

• Supporters
Just now, Asomodai said:

So it sounds like it is by design? I got worried because I only ever seen people take it off by pushing the lever rather then forcing the eject forward. 

I think the lever is meant to be pulled tighter when you open it up, but mine never worked like that and exuberant opening would see the tube come off in your hand.

I just assumed mine was old but maybe its more a design flaw if your getting it on a brand new one.

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I think the lever is meant to be pulled tighter when you open it up, but mine never worked like that and exuberant opening would see the tube come off in your hand.

I just assumed mine was old but maybe its more a design flaw if your getting it on a brand new one.

It's not brand new. The guy I bought it from says it's only had a few skirmishes. The Barrel stop lever does look pretty new though. I can see the design would allow the launcher to be released when pushed hard though. 

Anybody else like to chime in?

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Just found a photo. The first one is of the airsoft lever style. The second is the real steel, the real steel one is hooked and would probably prevent this issue in the airsoft version. So they are quite different. 

20140605143131_2998.jpg.7293c5067e972045fbc4d2ba1f0fc82b.jpg

1078880.jpg.24ca8864373d813f03349c56f25dd56c.jpg

• Supporters

Yeah, the airsoft version does have a slight hook but evidently not enough.

You could maybe file it (if you want to avoid my just shove a bolt in it method) but given these things are made of pot metal and hope cant imagine it'd help longevity.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Yeah, the airsoft version does have a slight hook but evidently not enough.

You could maybe file it (if you want to avoid my just shove a bolt in it method) but given these things are made of pot metal and hope cant imagine it'd help longevity.

This is my solution. Rolled up electrical tape. Has a very small amount of give which a bolt wouldn't have to preserve the metal and I stuck it underneath the stop lever. It doesnt move under pressure and I can rack the M203 as hard as I like with no issue. I can replace the electrical tape if it fails pretty easily.

Obviously I wont be pumping it like a shotgun. It's just for a bit of peice of mind that it wont full apart!

I can always replace the M203 if that lever fails in the future. 

20191110_013631.jpg

21 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Not a bad idea, bit more stealthy than my fix anyway :P

A little bit easier anyway. The more pressure the lever puts on the tape, the grippier and stickier it gets 🙂

Will let you know I get on. If it gets lots of use then I may invest in a G&P one. 

but I doubt it!

• Supporters

Yeah, as cool as m203's are theyre kinda underwhelming, of course maybe thats just the hpa douche in me thinking "eh, my gun's a 40 mike with a hop" :P

best of luck man anyway, hope it serves you well

My G&P M203 needs very little encouragement to slide all the way off tbh.

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Yeah, as cool as m203's are theyre kinda underwhelming, of course maybe thats just the hpa douche in me thinking "eh, my gun's a 40 mike with a hop" :P

best of luck man anyway, hope it serves you well

TAG rounds... might bankrupt you, but it might also be worth it!

4 hours ago, Sawyer said:

TAG rounds... might bankrupt you, but it might also be worth it!

Just be aware that the TAG launcher shell may need a bit of filing to get it into a G&P M203 launcher...

Archived