Collector vs Practical Skirmisher

Cr0-Magnon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

Me too, so much so that I've not found a site that inspired me enough to actually play 3 games there in order to kick-start my lapsed ukara (prob a good thing🤔), although last game I attended was at bva, under new management & actually enjoyed it so maybe I'll "lay my hat there".

I feel like a collector, too many gats & not playing enough, mainly due to health problems, but deep down I know I'm a player at heart, if I was forced to quit I'd prob flog the lot, the temptation would drive me up the wall🤪

I am currently wrestling between selling up all my stuff...or waiting for the malaise to pass and knowing it will be their afterwards...

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

BVA?

Bush Valley, down near Leeds castle

4 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I am currently wrestling between selling up all my stuff...or waiting for the malaise to pass and knowing it will be their afterwards...

I never like to hear of anybody quitting, especially long-term players, but I'm starting to realise the reality of it😭

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I never like to hear of anybody quitting, especially long-term players, but I'm starting to realise the reality of it😭

Ah yeah. I quite like Bush Valley. Glad to hear it's still going as I was worried it had closed up again. Is it still the family that's running it?

10 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I just wish sites could offer a straightforward game day, without mucking around with childish games, frequent breaks and long, dull briefings.

• Supporters

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Ah yeah. I quite like Bush Valley. Glad to hear it's still going as I was worried it had closed up again. Is it still the family that's running it?

The family still own the site, but SEO Airsoft run it, I've been meaning to do a mini review, now I'm stuck in the spare room with norovirus I should do it lol.

1 hour ago, Dentonboy said:

I just wish sites could offer a straightforward game day, without mucking around with childish games, frequent breaks and long, dull briefings.

Where you located ?

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

The family still own the site, but SEO Airsoft run it, I've been meaning to do a mini review, now I'm stuck in the spare room with norovirus I should do it lol.

Where you located ?

East Sussex, but within reach of Kent, Hampshire, West Sussex etc.

Have played at Dog Tag, Combat South Woodland, Ace Combat, Battle Lakes and Worthing. None really do it for me now tbh. All have their negatives.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Dentonboy said:

East Sussex, but within reach of Kent, Hampshire, West Sussex etc.

Have played at Dog Tag, Combat South Woodland, Ace Combat, Battle Lakes and Worthing. None really do it for me now tbh. All have their negatives.

Combat South used to be good for a day out, but not been there for years, maybe it's "slipping" ?.

Maybe BVA is worth a try ?, I'm hoping to get another game in there soon, as well as a monthly regular walk-on day they run some 12-24hr scenario based games.

Combat South is still good, but it is 90mins each way...

What is BVA?!

Funny reading this thread. I’m somewhere in the middle myself, I buy more guns than I ever have a use for, but nowhere near as many as some of you guys and if I do take one out to skirmish I’m always quite conscious of getting nicks or damage on it.

When I’m buying a new gun I try to rationalise it like “oh you have good cqb weapons and a nice DMR best get something in the middle“ but deep down I know it’s all BS - I just want it because I want it. I do hold onto mine though, I get too attached to them!

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

Combat South is still good, but it is 90mins each way...

What is BVA?!

found myself in a jiff. I myself have become more of a collector then a skirmisher. Always wanted to play but commitments always get in the way. 

I was unable to renew my ukara due to my local site closing down. But i really got a itch to buy the john wick pistol from swiftairsoft.

will custom problems arise if i put my old ukara in when ordering. i dont want break any laws or find myself at a loss. i need advice 

On 10/11/2019 at 18:13, Dentonboy said:

You're a family man so its difficult, however, this is why I only play private days (throw in the odd charity event cus im not a monster) now and instead go to 'filmsims' or 'milsims' as its much much better than a skirmish. Yes you do get dickheads but you get dickheads everywhere. 

Anyway, you would be accepted with open arms with your kit ;)

7 hours ago, enzo47 said:

found myself in a jiff. I myself have become more of a collector then a skirmisher. Always wanted to play but commitments always get in the way. 

I was unable to renew my ukara due to my local site closing down. But i really got a itch to buy the john wick pistol from swiftairsoft.

will custom problems arise if i put my old ukara in when ordering. i dont want break any laws or find myself at a loss. i need advice 

They'll most likely check UKARA, find out it's not valid, seize the package and you'll need to prove a valid defense.

6 hours ago, enzo47 said:

Had an issue recently where Border Force seized my RIF in a random shipment search and despite having a UKARA number on the parcel, I had to re-confirm the UKARA number which was then checked. BF now have direct read access to the database so I would advise not importing without one.

It might get through, but it might not and you could not only have the RIF seized and destroyed, but you could also be charged for attempting to import a RIF without a recognised and provable defense. 

Despite having a UKARA number, it took me over 3 and a half months to get the rifle.

11 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

You're a family man so its difficult, however, this is why I only play private days (throw in the odd charity event cus im not a monster) now and instead go to 'filmsims' or 'milsims' as its much much better than a skirmish. Yes you do get dickheads but you get dickheads everywhere. 

Anyway, you would be accepted with open arms with your kit ;)

Thanks Chief...sign me up.

Not that I can think of. For better or worse, rules is rules, and these rules aren't flexible.

I reckon putting the cash equivalent of the gun in an envelope under the tree is your best bet until your UKARA's renewed. To be honest a clone Glock isn't going to run that well in Christmas weather anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I rarely play now (once every 2.5 months due to work schedule and family life) and contemplated giving up the hobby entirely after 11 years, earlier this year, I always find myself browsing guns and getting that "want" feeling........Then I remember I'm skint, can't afford anything and will very likely just think everything else is sub-par compared to my upgraded Scorpion Evo A1, so any new guns would not get much use anyway.

That, plus I despise hoarding/collecting. I hate clutter and untidiness. If something isn't being used, it's gone.......regardless of what it may be. My CD, DVD and computer games collections went some time ago. Unworn clothes are gone. Music T-shirts from gigs have been sold recently. We're forever selling and binning items in the house, to keep it uncluttered. Very few mementos are kept.

I only have my Evo, a TM G17 and a TM G34. That's it. I only ever play CQB now (outside is too cold, wet, muddy, simply not as much fun as CQB).

I promised myself I'd never sell my TM Breacher, TM AKS74U RS, KSC Vz61 GBB, PPSH-41, TM Desert Eagle and TM MK23 Socom......but they all went in time, after some fond memories.

However, I am a lover of pistols and always fancied building a little collection....then think what a waste of money..........and unnecessary clutter.

Lately I find myself hungering for 80's action movie guns, like a Beretta M92, MP5, M16VN, Uzi etc, with ideas of new movie inspired loadouts to go with them..........but then the reality check that money is in short very supply and movie loadouts are impractical for the sole CQB site I play at, where sufficient protection is necessary to avoid injury and I always put practicality before aesthetics. 

So in the end, I'll just stick to my existing single loadout of whatever works best, my Evo and my G34. It is fun to fantasize though.........

Archived