Collector vs Practical Skirmisher

Cr0-Magnon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

No, I'm not proposing a one vs one showdown but am I the only one with this internal conflict?

I'm stuck in a perpetual cycle of "Oohh that one would make a great addition to my collection!" then when I've got ten or so pistols "Am I crazy!? When am I ever going to use all of these"...at which point I sell a load for pennies on the pound, quite often never skirmished or just once or twice.

Apologies, I'm not sure if I'm looking for help justifying this behaviour or a psychological remedy....maybe just reassurance that I'm not alone?

4 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

No, I'm not proposing a one vs one showdown but am I the only one with this internal conflict?

I'm stuck in a perpetual cycle of "Oohh that one would make a great addition to my collection!" then when I've got ten or so pistols "Am I crazy!? When am I ever going to use all of these"...at which point I sell a load for pennies on the pound, quite often never skirmished or just once or twice.

Apologies, I'm not sure if I'm looking for help justifying this behaviour or a psychological remedy....maybe just reassurance that I'm not alone?

I get round it by having any nice rif I fancy, and as a general rule what I own is always up for trade. 

So I usually only have 3 or 4 at a time, but they change every few weeks. 

Well, that was until recently. I bought a type 97, which is fantastic and has become firmly a keeper. Then got myself a KHC maverick bullpup which, again, has become a firm keeper. 

I have an old calico I will skirmish until someone offers me the right money or the right trade, and a KWC type 1911 that I like but hasn't proved itself yet. I'm on aroundabout 150 guns, so far, and they've been results of trades and swaps. Almost done the same with motorcycles too but on a lesser scale. 

The Mrs has given up saying anything, and my mates just post pictures of petunias, referencing hitchhikers guide "oh no, not again" 

• Supporters

You work, you earn money, whatever the hell you do with that money is entirely 100% your decision.  Obviously it's still not smart to spend what you can't afford on bb guns and if you do literally just sell them at a loss that's maybe something to consider not doing again in future, but if you want to collect, go at it.

I only collect stuff that's in good nick and in my size (for kit and uniforms) such that I could use it for a game if I wanted to, but my hobby is collecting ahead of airsofting.

Nope you are not alone. It is partially retail therapy and can be collection building. There does come a point when it slows as you either have most of what you want or things get more niche/expensive. Also factor in these are the closest most of us get to owning the RS version, all those guns that look awesome but can never own - this placates that want.

BTW, I have loads :lol:

I started off just wanting 2 or 3 rifles. A Famas, an ICS Ape and a F2000 (With Hunter Scope). I wanted to just skirmish twice a month and have some fun. 

That changed after about 2 months! I guess I am more of a collector these days though I intend to skirmish my rifles. 

The thing that roped me into buying so many is mostly liking rare things which may not be made anymore. I am always keen to get the rarer item before I might not be able to get it. Hence the T97's and to a lesser extent the XM8's. 

31 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

The thing that roped me into buying so many is mostly liking rare things which may not be made anymore. I am always keen to get the rarer item before I might not be able to get it. Hence the T97's and to a lesser extent the XM8's.  

Yeah this. "I could wait, but what if I can't get it then!?"

44 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I started off just wanting 2 or 3 rifles. A Famas, an ICS Ape and a F2000 (With Hunter Scope). I wanted to just skirmish twice a month and have some fun. 

That changed after about 2 months! I guess I am more of a collector these days though I intend to skirmish my rifles. 

Didn't you have an xm8 for sale? 

Did it sell? 

4 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Didn't you have an xm8 for sale? 

Did it sell? 

It's still for sale. I have two! I may withdraw it though. Depends! 

Don't worry Cr0-Magnon, I think you represent the majority of our purchasing habits.

I've also collected about 15 weapons but don't use all of them in regular games.    There were a few classics I couldn't resist when a bargain came along.  eg. M60 (fixed boneyard), L1A1 (ex IF), AK74 (second hand), MP5 (ex film prop)

I have used them all in at least one game to get a feel for em but my regulars are SpecnaArms Edge03, MP5 and P90

(Yet to try latest MP5K PDW)

I think of them as investments because you can always sell em and possibly even make a bit if you got a bargain or fix up a boneyard.

2 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

(of which 2 are aa12s)

Haha, two AA-12's!? Leave some BB's for the rest of us!

I'm at least trying to give myself a criteria to keep it under control. It has to be something which I would use in a skirmish. If it's too precious or just generally naff, I will move it on quite quickly. Fortunately I'm in the position where I can afford to mess around with this stuff on top of running two cars and paying a mortgage etc. As you guys say, definitely retail therapy to break up the monotony of working life.

Besides this is my only hobby and it's one that gets me off my arse at the weekend!

• Supporters

it's a tricky one for me, i love the weird and wacky and if money wasnt an issue i'd absolutely love to collect.

however i'm just as obsessed with accuracy, and i tinker a lot. problem with that is it sets very high standards, and i find it hard to skirmish something if it can't be tinkered to a respectable level.

for example i'd love an old school bolt gun, but when you have a flat 1j limit it's next to impossible not to say "sod it i'm taking the polarstar".

at the moment this is the battle i'm having with the e&l, it's a beautiful gun and i love it, but trying to get an open bolt hpa to shoot straight is a battle i've failed to win. at some point i'll have the money to get an f2 in there and all will be well with the world.

I have been through possibly thousands of guns in 20 years of playing. I tend to get bored and sell on pretty quickly. At the moment i dont have a gun older than 8 months and have more pistols than rifles. For shits and giggles i tend to carry 5 pistols in game. It be more but u dont have enough holsters or mag holders for that matter. Anyway do what you want if you can afford it.

Meh, I currently own 6 WE G17’s. Only ever skirmish 1 or 2. I like them, they’re all a bit different looks wise and spend most of their time in bits 😂 No intention what so ever of selling any of them. 

Gonna start buying/buliding G19’s soon as well. 

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Its strange, I have a hoarder and collector mentality, always have. I used to collect music, my cd collection of old hiphop was stupidly VAST, plus records and then I had hard drives full of albums and mixes. Went through a phase of comics and memorabilia. I managed to get past all of that though and started buying trainers. 300+ pairs in and I am still buying them. 

Airsoft though, not so much. I dont get why it has not bit me yet. I mean, yes I have more guns and gear than I need and want and could use but I dont 'collect' anything airsoft. They were all purchased to use and then became defunct or were not right etc...

I don't really have room to collect so that kinda forces my hand. I have however kept my old TM Breachers which I pimped up aesthetically and a PTS Masada which I have great love for. I have an workhorse AEG which I skirmish with but my primary is my TM G18c

The British are a nation of collectors.

People will collect literally anything - buttons, match boxes, beer mats etc. It's like a sickness.

I suspect that many airsofters don't actually skirmish as often as they once did. I enjoyed cqb, but always looked forward to the breaks so I could look at other people's guns and gear, learn about different products  and enjoy a bit of banter.

I started collecting springers to assuage my collecting habit it costs less. Also more rewarding finding rare and unusual beasts. I do like collecting old/rare gas pistols but I only have a few of them.IMG_7063.thumb.JPG.1216dd8b7b44ba982ac392330b37e784.JPGIMG_20191023_194508_433.thumb.jpg.d27ea2a350a1042dd6cf82d4e6f9fd71.jpgIMG_20191030_184422.thumb.jpg.16b43b6ef103585c3cc902de9760e760.jpg

Probably more of a skirmisher than a collector, only up to 4 AEGs, 2 pistols and a shotgun.

Then again, currently planning a DMR build using a gun I have yet to buy, really tempted to get a TM FN 5-7 (especially since I realised it was the sidearm used in BSG) and also quite fancy a G&G ARP9 because, why not? 😂

Unfortunately I have a wife, and now keep getting the question "why do you need another gun?" along with the comment "you've already got x pistols/rifles" every time she sees me browsing!  I'd like to be a collector too but it seems I'm not allowed. 😭

I am definitely more on the collecting side of things these days.

Have found that of late, my local sites have been a real letdown and it has affected my motivation to either attend them and give another chance, or to venture further afield.

With collecting, the letdown feeling is significantly reduced!

I really like buying exotic and cool looking weapons. I tell myself that "THIS WILL BE THE ULTIMATE DISPLAY PIECE ETC ETC YADA YADA". But, in the end, that never works out; I don't keep guns that serve no purpose. I still really like exotic and wacky setups. However, if my aeg simply does better, there's no reason to have it. There just has to be a specific role for it that my aeg cannot do.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

Ive found that of late, my local sites have been a real letdown and it has affected my motivation to either attend them and give another chance, or to venture further afield.

Me too, so much so that I've not found a site that inspired me enough to actually play 3 games there in order to kick-start my lapsed ukara (prob a good thing🤔), although last game I attended was at bva, under new management & actually enjoyed it so maybe I'll "lay my hat there".

I feel like a collector, too many gats & not playing enough, mainly due to health problems, but deep down I know I'm a player at heart, if I was forced to quit I'd prob flog the lot, the temptation would drive me up the wall🤪

3 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Me too, so much so that I've not found a site that inspired me enough to actually play 3 games there in order to kick-start my lapsed ukara (prob a good thing🤔), although last game I attended was at bva, under new management & actually enjoyed it so maybe I'll "lay my hat there".

I feel like a collector, too many gats & not playing enough, mainly due to health problems, but deep down I know I'm a player at heart, if I was forced to quit I'd prob flog the lot, the temptation would drive me up the wall🤪

BVA?

Archived