How clean do you keep your gear?

Albiscuit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Having just played at the weekend at a rather muddy soupy site I got more than filthy. Slipping up a earth bank into wet soft mud didn’t help much.

My pouches in the left (when I fell) and dump pouch are pretty muddy, it’s dried now and I can’t really be arsed to take them off the belt wash them and thread them back on. I will give them a rub with a brush as I don’t mind a slightly dirty look.

So I wondered how clean do you keep your gear? do you wash pouches and vests etc? 

My guns is a bit grimey too but again I like the look of it. Mud in the rails adds a nice worn look.

Am I just being lazy/dirty? :D 

• Supporters

i generally don't bother much outside of necessary gun cleaning (mainly barrel and optics) and clothes.

rig i don't care as much about, tbh i've never really noticed it build up too badly anyhow.

I wash and iron mine every time... 

I play indoors in a full suit. 

Went to a job interview in jeans last Friday. 

Priorities. 

(I am in work, just hate my current gaff. Got the job so maybe jeans is the answer.)

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

So I wondered how clean do you keep your gear? do you wash pouches and vests etc? 

My guns is a bit grimey too but again I like the look of it. Mud in the rails adds a nice worn look.

I played a rental game this weekend as part of a surprise day to a former teammate

All clothing, gloves, etc were dumped in a pile in the back of the car straight after the game (Saturday) and transfered via a bin bag to the washing machine on Sunday night.

A couple of extras were swirled around the bath after I’d been in it

If I had been wearing a vest etc then I’d make a judgement call as to whether to just put it away until next time, swirl in the bath, hose down ... on in the extreme cases / once in a while put it in the washing machine

(That would be turned inside out and bagged in a wash net sack or pillow case etc)

Guns & equipment  would depend on circumstances.  Once in a while I’ll give them a service/internal clean up.  If just dirty then maybe rub down, if soaked then dry off, leave in a fresh role and inspect again later

Don’t get me wrong I was the clothes as well as the neck/snood thingy, gloves and cap as I’m a sweaty fecker so the hat needs it! Sod ironing it though!

Im in two minds about the pouches n stuff. I guess if it was totally mud covered I would have too, some surface dirt and a little ingrained stuff won’t hurt and has that battleworn look us leet oporatorz go for :D 

rifle will stay as is, until I send it for painting that is!!

Rigs/plate carriers I leave to let dry then just brush off any mud etc (same with pouches) clothes obviously go in the wash and are dried inside out, I don't use much detergent if any. Guns get a clean down externally if caked in mud but get a full inside clean every few games days.

• Plate carrier/rig and BDU trousers: dry thoroughly in airing cupboard and then brush down
  • Shirt/hoodie/other clothing: standard machine wash
  • Eye/face pro and gloves: never wash
  • RIF: full strip, clean and lube after every game day (it’s a GBBR so I like to give it some TLC ❤️)

PS: really important to dry your kit out thoroughly. Wet kit attracts mildew which a) stinks and b) will eventually rot your threads and webbing. I've learned this lesson myself from time spent hill-walking in the crappiest of weather.

13 minutes ago, Musica said:

My other half would not be impressed if I put muddy clothes in the washing machine. I am to rinse the mud off before using the machine. 

You sound like you've already been bollocked for that one. 

I clean all my stuff.

Guns and mags get stripped, cleaned and relubed.

Clothes washed but not ironed or anything silly.

If my rig was muddy I would wash it with the hose outside but I just play CQB atm so thats rare.

I basically look after my kit the same way I would/did in the military... Except ironing... Cuz fk ironing!

Guns get the most attention especially after a wet game (made that mistake before) clothes get cleaned and the rest is left. I should take better care of my boots though

Hmm yeah boots are a bugbear of mine. They are a pain in the arse to clean and it’s a job I hate.

Mine are on the verge of being chucked out to be fair as they have been abused.

• Uniform, for lack of a better term, goes in the wash after each session/event.
  • Boots are done as and when required depending on where I've been playing and how dirty/beat up they've gotten. I like to keep on top of my boots simply because they're a high quality pair and I'm hoping to get a good long life out of them.
  • Gloves get washed as and when needed.
  • Guns will receive some form of cleaning/maintenance after each session. Pistols receive a basic strip and clean after every session with a deep clean every month or so.

Anything else receives a wipe down or some other form of basic clean as and when needed simply because I've invested in it and I see it as worth looking after.

Archived