M4 mag pouch advice

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've started running with my MWS again, but have noticed that I absolutely fucking hate my mag pouches.
I currently use WAS double mag pouches, which are elasticated with a fold over pocket lid, like these:

https://www.uktactical.com/p-4489-warrior-double-m4-556mm-coyote-tan.aspx

I can't use em quickly for the life of me and it drives me nuts.
What can I get that won't break the bank (I like the polymer ones, but at 20£ each when I need four I can't have em) and will allow me faster reloads without fighting with elastic. Need something that can take weight (each mag is about 600g unloaded) and abuse, which is why I initially went with warrior...

• Supporters

Sticking with the WAS theme, you could go with the old "NSR" pouches. They have a non slip retention lining which grips pretty well (and surprise, surprise I may just have some I don't use anymore).

Alternatively I would HIGHLY recommend the Esstac range https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/esstac-260-c.asp

19 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Sticking with the WAS theme, you could go with the old "NSR" pouches. They have a non slip retention lining which grips pretty well (and surprise, surprise I may just have some I don't use anymore).

Alternatively I would HIGHLY recommend the Esstac range https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/esstac-260-c.asp

Ouchy on the Esstac prices!
Have you a link or pics to the other pouches you mentioned? Cos the only WAS NSR I could find after a quick google look like the ones I currently have...

6 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Have you a link or pics to the other pouches you mentioned? Cos the only WAS NSR I could find after a quick google look like the ones I currently have...

Add to the esstac price the cost of some way to attach them to molle as well and it gets even more ouchy!  

Still desperately want some pistol mag pouches from them though 😬 

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

22 minutes ago, E21A said:

Add to the esstac price the cost of some way to attach them to molle as well and it gets even more 

Yeah, but they're great though.

The nsr pouches have a rounded end to the flap, you can tuck it away if you want to use them without. Come to think of it, the flap on the was pouches can be taken off completely iirc. 

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

The nsr pouches have a rounded end to the flap, you can tuck it away if you want to use them without. Come to think of it, the flap on the was pouches can be taken off completely iirc. 

I think those are the ones I already have... The problem isn't the flap for me, the problem is the strength of the elastic making it a ballache to get em back in the pouch...

45 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I think those are the ones I already have... The problem isn't the flap for me, the problem is the strength of the elastic making it a ballache to get em back in the pouch...

That's more down to technique. I use the same pouches with my GBBR and the way to do it is take from the front and put back in the pouch behind the mag that's already in there

4 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

That's more down to technique. I use the same pouches with my GBBR and the way to do it is take from the front and put back in the pouch behind the mag that's already in there

Actually, that's a fair point. And what I normally do - but was running it with singles in each double to spread the weight.
Will go back to old way and see how I get on...

p.s.
Are you sure you're an airsofter? You just convinced me NOT to spend money on kit! 🤣🤣🤣

51 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Why not get a dump pouch, simply throwing  the empty mag into it, instead of trying to reinsert it?

2 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

Why not get a dump pouch, simply throwing  the empty mag into it, instead of trying to reinsert it?

In principle a good idea, but there are a couple of reasons why I don't:
1) The mags are 600g each, so 3Kg of mags is quite a lot to be in one place
2) I use the dump pouch for a red gas tin and BBs

Got a CB BFG double mag pouch I'll do you for £23 posted...used it for my M4 but swapping it out for an MC version.

• Supporters

Maybe a utility pouch then for gas/bb's freeing up your dump pouch for regular use.

All these fancy mag pouches are a trade in retention for speed, personally i'd rather have slower reloads with confidence knowing that at least the mag will be there when needed, shtf moments can be dealt with by a sidearm and ensuring your reloading in cover.

If your using a dump pouch you can always lighten it up during a lull in the fighting by putting mags back in pouches, same theory as just dropping on the ground and picking up after.

2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

In principle a good idea, but there are a couple of reasons why I don't:
1) The mags are 600g each, so 3Kg of mags is quite a lot to be in one place
2) I use the dump pouch for a red gas tin and BBs

When your dead take a moment to put empty mags back in their pouches from your dump pouch...

or or get a drum mag :D 

Archived