Which pistol should I get for starting off

Airsoft-lunatic
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 01/11/2019 at 11:52, heroshark said:

For performance and longevity you can't beat the newer generation 15mm bbu gbbps. Yes they may lack the interesting aftermarket parts and are more expensive but . They do last well, you don't have to replace much in terms of breakages (unless you are one of those players who are really unlucky and break everything in 2min) they are worth the extra. 

I know they have greater recoil and slide speed, but wouldn't that result in faster wear of parts?

In what way is longevity improved.? Are they made from better materials?

I'm not doubting you. Just asking.

10 minutes ago, MAX DICKER said:

For pretty much 10 years or so I've run all my TM's on Colemans propane. Zero issues.

I think TMs tend to work fine on higher powered gas in the UK simply because of our crappy weather.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things like the slide stop are better designed so it's not metal on plastic, often a complaint of earlier models. Metal support spreading the load at the front of the slide from the recoil/spring. Better design hop adjustment and arm. The general builds are less complex and parts that need to be metal are. 

You'd be better spending the money on a blank firing grenade first, it'll come in much more handy than a pistol. 

My list of priorities (for weaponry) would be:

1. Primary

2. Blank firing grenade

3. Backup primary, so if something goes wrong you can still carry on with your game day (like a spring trishot shotgun, cheap and maintenance free) 

4. Pistol

I'd recommend a dynatex dominator, over a trmr having owned both. 

Or spend a little more and get a timed but they both have their advantages. 

Although I really do appreciate the draw of spending a lump of money on a nice new gbb pistol over what is essentially a lump of metal and plastic. But my honest advice is they're indespensible.

BFG is great in cqb not so much in woodland. In fact impacts on the most part will not go off on soft ground. Tbh depends how you like to run and the environment. Personally I run pistols only a lot ,depends on the site. Woodland I run a rifle but fibua and definitely cqb always pistols only. 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, heroshark said:

Things like the slide stop are better designed so it's not metal on plastic, often a complaint of earlier models. Metal support spreading the load at the front of the slide from the recoil/spring. Better design hop adjustment and arm. The general builds are less complex and parts that need to be metal are. 

Slight OT but do you know if this extends to the G19?  I've been back and forth on buying one since before they came out and I've seen some people say they're fine on propane as well as reports saying the exact opposite.  I know the old 17s weren't really up to it and to be honest it's only so I can have a skirmishable Glock as my 226 is all the pistol I could ever need for anything.

1 hour ago, heroshark said:

BFG is great in cqb not so much in woodland.

100%, close to money down the drain for someone who might only play woodland, I don't even bother carrying one in the woods.  Yeah sometimes it'll go off or you can find a hard surface but for the few times I use one in a day I'll just save the weight and have a couple of mk5s on my that'll go off anywhere at all.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Cromulon1994 said:

You'd be better spending the money on a blank firing grenade first, it'll come in much more handy than a pistol. 

Lol, I genuinely laughed at this bit, really, a single grenade more use than a pistol loaded with 20+ bb's ?, so for example, middle of a firefight your primary chokes, you'll reach for a grenade first ?.

How about when a site organiser says "right guys, the next game is pistols/single shot weapons only" , which I've seen many times, but never seen "guys, next games grenades only".....shall I go on ? 

Incidentally I've owned a timed dynatec for about 18yrs, but not used it for at least 3 years as it's been all woodland games, with the best will in the world it's too easy to lose, but I've not lost a pistol in 19yrs 😛

48 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Lol, I genuinely laughed at this bit, really, a single grenade more use than a pistol loaded with 20+ bb's ?, so for example, middle of a firefight your primary chokes, you'll reach for a grenade first ?.

How about when a site organiser says "right guys, the next game is pistols/single shot weapons only" , which I've seen many times, but never seen "guys, next games grenades only".....shall I go on ? 

Incidentally I've owned a timed dynatec for about 18yrs, but not used it for at least 3 years as it's been all woodland games, with the best will in the world it's too easy to lose, but I've not lost a pistol in 19yrs 😛

Fair enough. Just my experience. Though I play pretty much exclusively cqb and fish, and haven't found myself in that postion for a long time

I have played for a while loading the first few shots into a midcap as reds and the rest greens, it's pretty foolproof. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

have played for a while loading the first few shots into a midcap as reds and the rest greens, it's pretty foolproof. 

Yeah, I was literally referring to any malfunction etc, for example I had a 249 lock up on me, at the same time I lost my footing on a wooded hillside site, as I slid I dropped the 249 on its sling , pulled my pistol from a chest mounted serpa & got 3 kills, while still sliding, JW & JB would have bowed down to worship me it was that slick.

Obviously totally by accident of course, had a been trying to do it I'd have prob broken me ankle 😭, & obviously a grenade would have done me no favours either.

I get that you've prioritised according to your site's & play style, but a pistol gives so many more options in general, as many have said it's almost their primary for some sites.

2 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Slight OT but do you know if this extends to the G19?  I've been back and forth on buying one since before they came out and I've seen some people say they're fine on propane as well as reports saying the exact opposite.  I know the old 17s weren't really up to it and to be honest it's only so I can have a skirmishable Glock as my 226 is all the pistol I could ever need for anything.

100%, close to money down the drain for someone who might only play woodland, I don't even bother carrying one in the woods.  Yeah sometimes it'll go off or you can find a hard surface but for the few times I use one in a day I'll just save the weight and have a couple of mk5s on my that'll go off anywhere at all.

Would that be a TM Sig 226?

2 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Looks to...

Mk23 nbb is a great woodland gun. I tend not to bring mine out for cqb unless it's a site with some rangy areas. Woodland it's my long range gun and have an upper running 400 fps and my 416c is my sub 350fps gun. It is a different kettle of fish to a gbb. Much slower/long trigger pull, but I find it an essential tool. 

Just now, heroshark said:

Mk23 nbb is a great woodland gun. I tend not to bring mine out for cqb unless it's a site with some rangy areas. Woodland it's my long range gun and have an upper running 400 fps and my 416c is my sub 350fps gun. It is a different kettle of fish to a gbb. Much slower/long trigger pull, but I find it an essential tool. 

interesting some sites near me wouldn't allow that only bolt actions allowed over 350. I think it's so marshals can easily police MED without having to think about pistols being above MED.

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Would that be a TM Sig 226?

Yeah the E2, I've got an R as well but the E2 is a nice update/upgrade, which is saying something since the original is already a top class skirmisher.

I think the best possible GBB sidearms would be (from TM) the 226E2, M9A1, HK45, M&P, FNX-45 and 4.3/5.1, whichever the gentleman prefers the look of.  Probably the USP as well but I know zero about that one.

TMs gbbs I've had the 226r, 4.3, detonics. Hk45 , uspc are my current 2 and my compact is my favorite of all. Out the new ones I've also had a go with usp, xdm, m&p and fnx and still would pick my uspc. 

42 minutes ago, Musica said:

interesting some sites near me wouldn't allow that only bolt actions allowed over 350. I think it's so marshals can easily police MED without having to think about pistols being above MED.

Some its a realism thing. I'd just switch to my 350 upper if it were the case but I very rarely travel for woodland play. Mainly stick to cqb sites and my locals where I use it are fine with it.

15 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Yeah the E2, I've got an R as well but the E2 is a nice update/upgrade, which is saying something since the original is already a top class skirmisher.

I think the best possible GBB sidearms would be (from TM) the 226E2, M9A1, HK45, M&P, FNX-45 and 4.3/5.1, whichever the gentleman prefers the look of.  Probably the USP as well but I know zero about that one.

Yes, I've got the P226, M9A1 and Hi Capa 5.1. I am very much into pistols and very happy with these guns, and my rifles will be going for sale because I can no longer skirmish.

I have been tempted to try one of the more recent models with  15mm bbu  - the FNX45,  HK45 or HK USP full size - just to see what they are like. And because I like collecting pistols. 

On 02/11/2019 at 11:42, M_P said:

Most TMs run just fine on green gas. The FN57 has well documented issues but the rest do just fine.

@OP, get a TM, anyone short of the 1911 due to the aforementioned low gas capacity

Except for the fact that pretty much all TM pistols are rated for duster gas only, which means they will break over time if used with green gas. I don't think it makes sense to spend 150-170 on TM just to spend another 100 on slide and BBU when stock one breaks, might as well get KJW that is compatible with GG (and CO2 to certain extent) and use the rest of money for upgrading it, making it perform better than TM.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

Except for the fact that pretty much all TM pistols are rated for duster gas only, which means they will break over time if used with green gas. I don't think it makes sense to spend 150-170 on TM just to spend another 100 on slide and BBU when stock one breaks, might as well get KJW that is compatible with GG (and CO2 to certain extent) and use the rest of money for upgrading it, making it perform better than TM.

I've been running my TM hi-capa's on propane for at least 12 years, without a hiccup, every manufacturer of every item ever known makes recommendations on what to use with its products, doesn't mean said items gonna fail.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

I've been running my TM hi-capa's on propane for at least 12 years, without a hiccup, every manufacturer of every item ever known makes recommendations on what to use with its products, doesn't mean said items gonna fail.

And mine broke after 2 weeks of running green gas, didn't even have to take it to game.
Slides breaking due to too high pressure gas is well known issue with TM models, you can't deny that fact.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I've been running my TM hi-capa's on propane for at least 12 years, without a hiccup

14 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

Slides breaking due to too high pressure gas is well known issue with TM models, you cna't deny that fact.

Lol, apparently, based on my own proven experience, I can 🤔

1 hour ago, SuckMySock said:

And mine broke after 2 weeks of running green gas, didn't even have to take it to game.
Slides breaking due to too high pressure gas is well known issue with TM models, you can't deny that fact.

Certain models it is more common but not a regular occurrence. Certain models are rock solid due to the nature of the slide design. Often it's also the case of higher pressure gasses in hotter climates for prolonged periods where slide breakage complaints stem from.  What model was it? 

25 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

Yep, sample size of one is far more reliable than sample size of hundreds. 

Your both 1 person so best odds you can say is 50% not one vs hundreds. There is a bit of a joke that everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody whos uncle had a plastic tm slide crack. 

It does happen slides break but given my limited experience with my plastic slide and my chrono numbers I can't imagine a metal slide working soon.

I use ASG Ultraair which is a lower powered green gas and a good halfway house between standard green and duster. All year round on both my TM pistols for over two years. No problems so far. 

Archived