Which pistol should I get for starting off

Airsoft-lunatic
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

There's never a definitive answer to this type of question. For any airsoft gun I would tell people to hold as many as possible to find out if the ergonomics work for them, then when you have a model in mind, go for a reputable make. Particularly for pistols, you really can't go wrong with TM's. You can use green gas most of the year and then a lower powered (nuprol 1.0) gas for the few days it's baking hot.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
2 hours ago, SuckMySock said:

Yep, sample size of one is far more reliable than sample size of hundreds. 

Not disputing that plastic slides can break, in much the same way that chinesium "metal" pistol parts can crack or wear excessively, but I've owned numerous TM's, none of which have failed in that manner, some I still have & some I sold on, merely because I may not have got on with the aesthetics etc, but mechanically I couldn't fault any of them.

So if I recommend literally anything, guns, motorcycles etc, I do so from experience, not from what I've "heard" on the net, or read in print from a biased paid journo 

2 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I use ASG Ultraair which is a lower powered green gas and a good halfway house between standard green and duster. All year round on both my TM pistols for over two years. No problems so far. 

I've heard that the Abbey Predator Ultra is also a lower powered gas than most green gases.

Are ASG Ultrair and Abby Predator Ultra about the same sort of power? Anyone know?

2 hours ago, Musica said:

Your both 1 person so best odds you can say is 50% not one vs hundreds. There is a bit of a joke that everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody whos uncle had a plastic tm slide crack. 

It does happen slides break but given my limited experience with my plastic slide and my chrono numbers I can't imagine a metal slide working soon.

There is this magical website called Google. There you can find many cases of broken Hi capa slides. 
I will admit that it also depends on more factors, i.e. climate of your location. 

Metal slides work great, as long as you get proper aluminium one, not potmetal, and stronger recoil spring + lightweight BBU to compensate for more weight.

9 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

There is this magical website called Google. There you can find many cases of broken Hi capa slides. 

Metal slides work just fine, as long as you get proper aluminium one, not potmetal, and stronger recoild spring + lightweight BBU to compensate for more weight

I'm sure you can find anyone to agree with your opinion if you look hard enough. I see your google and raise you a  Reddit. I'm not trying to say the slides won't crack or don't crack they do and have and will. It's just not a common as people pretend. 

• Supporters
16 hours ago, SuckMySock said:

Except for the fact that pretty much all TM pistols are rated for duster gas only, which means they will break over time if used with green gas. I don't think it makes sense to spend 150-170 on TM just to spend another 100 on slide and BBU when stock one breaks, might as well get KJW that is compatible with GG (and CO2 to certain extent) and use the rest of money for upgrading it, making it perform better than TM.

They're made for weaker gas in accordance with the FPS laws in Japan but they can withstand green just fine for the most part, especially over here in the UK.

You're unlucky that yours broke but that's the exception not the norm. The vast majority will be fine on green gas/propane as evidenced by the literal decades of people doing so.

9 hours ago, M_P said:

They're made for weaker gas in accordance with the FPS laws in Japan but they can withstand green just fine for the most part, especially over here in the UK.

You're unlucky that yours broke but that's the exception not the norm. The vast majority will be fine on green gas/propane as evidenced by the literal decades of people doing so.

Good factual information ^

I don't know how many times I've had the argument about Marui guns being able to run off green gas/propane with the aggressor adamant that they are shit and will break within a mags worth of ammo when you do. Generally that information comes from people who have either never used a Marui gun, read crap information or have just seen/been the unlucky few that it has happened to.

20 hours ago, Musica said:

I'm sure you can find anyone to agree with your opinion if you look hard enough. I see your google and raise you a  Reddit. I'm not trying to say the slides won't crack or don't crack they do and have and will. It's just not a common as people pretend. 

Unless it's a TM FN 5-7! 

I've got three TM pistols. I run them all on red gas for most of the year, except when it gets really hot and I'll swap to green.
Never have I had to use duster.
And nothing on/in them has ever broken from gas use.
Tripping over, launching one in the air and it dropping on concrete, however, is a different story...

Friend of mine has on original fixed hop m9. It must be 20 years old. Always ran it on green ,never had to replace a part.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, SuckMySock said:

There is this magical website called Google. There you can find many cases of broken Hi capa slides

I've sacrificed a goat, but I'm not finding "many" cases of broken hi-capa slides forming in flaming words of burning fire.

What words should I be incanting?

Bonus if it doesn't turn up threads where people are running HPA or Super Black Extreme Ultimate Power-Up Power gas.

I've actually seen  people write that the magazines can't handle the higher pressure 🙄

If I'm honest I think people just want an excuse to ignore the TM mantra because they don't want plastic because navy seals don't have plastic pistols so they need to find a problem with them so they can convince themselves for a full metal build.

The chick from gun gamers runs a 3d printed hi-capa slide because of how fast it cycles. I'll caveat that she does say it's mostly disposable i.e she knows it will break eventually.

27 minutes ago, Musica said:

I've actually seen  people write that the magazines can't handle the higher pressure 🙄

The only TM mags I know that's mostly true of would be the mk23. For some reason, possibly cos they're NBB, they havea . different valve set up.
It's such a problem that there's actually a healthy cottage industry in fixing the mags once they've blown.
However, aside from the TM MK23... nope, nope and thrice nope 😄 (imho)... 

Mike Crips runs black Nuprol 4 in his TM's including plastic TM slides ones and thats what he recommends. Put a rubber O ring on with the return spring to soften the impact and don't worry about the gas (cut down lego tyres are perfect for this)

• Supporters
15 hours ago, MadMole said:

Mike Crips runs black Nuprol 4 in his TM's including plastic TM slides ones and thats what he recommends. Put a rubber O ring on with the return spring to soften the impact and don't worry about the gas (cut down lego tyres are perfect for this)

<interesting-if-true.png>

Is this word-of-mouth, or is it documented anywhere?  I ask only because of the potential for tears, and that sellers specifically recommend not using it with plastic slides.

The 20-1911 shape/design slide compared to something like the glock with just a small tab of material that comes down an interacts with the recoil makes the 1911 slide design very strong. The only tm slide of this type I heard of breakages is the gold match due to the vents making it weaker. This said the gold match will still last well if you don't use high pressure gasses in the warm for prolonged periods.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

<interesting-if-true.png>

Is this word-of-mouth, or is it documented anywhere?  I ask only because of the potential for tears, and that sellers specifically recommend not using it with plastic slides.

My 2.0 says not for use with plastic. I think it's cover their arse to put it on the tin for people in Texas wanting MORE POWER 

tim-taylor-home-improvement-meme-we-just

On the topic of the recoil being at fault here I read conflicting opinions on "oh yea just run a 120% recoil spring if your running green gas to stop the slide breaking" to people saying that is BS or that you should perhaps even run a weaker recoil spring. 

The spring rockets the slide forward after it has been cocked backwards. I can see the sense in a tougher spring would cushion the back stroke but it will also throw it forward with more force so got to really wonder if it does more harm than good. 

On 05/11/2019 at 11:08, Musica said:

If I'm honest I think people just want an excuse to ignore the TM mantra because they don't want plastic because navy seals don't have plastic pistols so they need to find a problem with them so they can convince themselves for a full metal build.

The chick from gun gamers runs a 3d printed hi-capa slide because of how fast it cycles. I'll caveat that she does say it's mostly disposable i.e she knows it will break eventually.

By the way... That 'she' is now a 'he' lmfao

On 07/11/2019 at 17:15, Seven said:

'she' is now a 'he'

Not a real thing

Anyway, back on topic.... Are we all agreed just about any flavour TM is the best starter pistol for op?

my advice(great as it is owning only 3 pistols) is to try some in the hand. not gonna use something much if it dosent fit your hand right. I got lucky that I just love how my m92 sits in my hand- but then I hate the likes of glocks and such. worth asking whilst at sites if other player mind you trying the grip test. will definatley narrow it down, or give you a list of must haves lol.

Archived