Which pistol should I get for starting off

Airsoft-lunatic
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’ve just started off playing Airsoft and was looking at some secondary weapons to go with my military load out, I have been looking at some colt 1911s and other TMs but I can’t make my mind up of which one to get does anyone know what a good starter pistol might be for my Military loadout, I would quite like a green gas blowback or a co2, which one do you recommend for a player like me

thanks,

ps my play style is more up front and into all the action.

And if you guys wanna hear of a new YouTube channel, check out my brothers  channel, it’s mostly airsoft videos.

channel name: Riddler Goose.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as it's a TM it'll be fine. Pick whatever you like the look of. Their 1911s are good but due to having slim mags don't hold a huge amount of gas and can struggle in colder weather. 

DO NOT buy a 1911,  look lovely, but terrible, terrible gas capacity means they are virtually unusable in the real world.

If you want the military look, buy a TM Glock or TM FNX .45

• Supporters

Still want a 1911-ish pistol, then the obvious choice is a TM hi-capa, you'll not regret it.

Incidentally, how is it your here asking for advice (which we're always happy to give😁), but your bruv has an Airsoft YouTube channel, kinda ironic ?🤔

thanks guys, is their any particular sites I should look at for my soon coming future pistol, like a reflex sight or something small

also, what is the best website to get my gun from, because their is a local surplus store near me, should I just get it their

thanks,

TM 1911's aren't that bad. Used one for a couple of years in all conditions. Sometimes the last couple of shots will lack power. I do have a glock now which admittedly has much better gas capacity.

Basically: The worst TM is better than the best of any competitor.

• Supporters

if you have a particular pistol you really love then see if tm make one and buy that, if not then you can go with another brand but you'll have to accept there'll be something about it's performance that won't stack up. for example WE's generally don't like the cold.

if you like the 1911 style and don't mind trading the old school aesthetic for performance then as above the hicapa is a mighty pistol which will certainly serve you well.

end of the day it's whatever puts a smile on your face, i run a WE makarov because whilst it doesnt shoot as well as a tm, it is fun and i like it.

personally i'm not a fan of red dots on pistols, you still end up needing to use the irons to find the dot so it's not much faster and if speed is the requirement at the time you're better off instinct shooting, if speed isn't an issue taking the time to aim with irons isn't so bad. but if it's what you want then do it.

Note re the Tm 1911.  The new M45A1 mags fit the TM 1911 and are a bit better for gas capacity.

For performance and longevity you can't beat the newer generation 15mm bbu gbbps. Yes they may lack the interesting aftermarket parts and are more expensive but . They do last well, you don't have to replace much in terms of breakages (unless you are one of those players who are really unlucky and break everything in 2min) they are worth the extra. 

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

Note re the Tm 1911.  The new M45A1 mags fit the TM 1911 and are a bit better for gas capacity.

Yup. My Strike Warrior does seem to go the distance in all but the coldest days with those mags. 

Of course you can always go with the M45A1 if you want something 1911 like with better gas consumption then the older 1911s like the MEUs. If you dont like it in tan I believe TM are releasing it in black soon. 

Advanced issues found

38 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

If you dont like it in tan I believe TM are releasing it in black soon. 

Don't say that, now I'll have to buy one to replace/go alongside my 1911!

1 hour ago, heroshark said:

For performance and longevity you can't beat the newer generation 15mm bbu gbbps. Yes they may lack the interesting aftermarket parts and are more expensive but . They do last well, you don't have to replace much in terms of breakages (unless you are one of those players who are really unlucky and break everything in 2min) they are worth the extra. 

How would one know if it has a 15mm bbu? 

4 hours ago, Musica said:

How would one know if it has a 15mm bbu? 

earliest model was the fn57. Easiest way to work out is the eagle6 site and look at the aftermarket 15mm piston head an it'll tell you all the models it fits. That said it does miss out the USP ,fnx ,v10 and uspc. 

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/1337/s/laylax-nineball-dyna-piston-head-for-m-p9-hk45-xdm-40-px4-fn5-7-gas-blowback-pistol-series/.

2 hours ago, SuckMySock said:

KJW 1911 with CO2 magazines. Fairly reliable and good enough gas efficiency. 

Can't help but think what's wrong with people who suggest TM for person who is thinking about either GG or CO2. 

I wouldnt recommend kjw or we co2 mags to anyone. In my experience they fail very quickly and are often unsalvageable.

7 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

KJW 1911 with CO2 magazines. Fairly reliable and good enough gas efficiency. 

Can't help but think what's wrong with people who suggest TM for person who is thinking about either GG or CO2. 

I've ran my pistol as a primary multiple game days on Nuprol 2.0 and it's still going strong.  

I've seen it mentioned that a CO2 pistol is a terrible idea for your first GBBP

2 minutes ago, Musica said:

I've ran my pistol as a primary multiple game days on Nuprol 2.0 and it's still going strong.  

I've seen it mentioned that a CO2 pistol is a terrible idea for your first GBBP

Eh, CO2 requires little bit more maintenance, that's all. But if pistol can take both GG and CO2, then you can just fire off one GG mag after using CO2 and you are good to go. Of course, CO2 increases wear on the parts.

With that said, the slide of my TM Hi Capa survived roughly three weeks of target shooting, the area where slide catch locks the slide simply bent, not allowing slide to lock back.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

Dude, he wants a first pistol, his Brother the Airsoft YouTube Expert (lol) is no help to him so he's come here for advice.

Bearing in mind that there's another "what pistols crap" style thread running currently, most members are trying to encourage him to buy something decent to start with, this will:

1. Give him a gun that works under most conditions

&

2 . Give him a baseline for future purchases as to what "should" be the norm in what to expect in quality & performance.

What no one wants to do is buy 7 boxes of shit before being told they fucked up.

(Like the other guy)

• Supporters
18 hours ago, SuckMySock said:

Most TMs run just fine on green gas. The FN57 has well documented issues but the rest do just fine.

@OP, get a TM, anyone short of the 1911 due to the aforementioned low gas capacity

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, M_P said:

Most TMs run just fine on green gas. The FN57 has well documented issues but the rest do just fine.

@OP, get a TM, anyone short of the 1911 due to the aforementioned low gas capacity

Agree, I run propane, essentially GG, all year in my TM's, with no problems.

If nothing else, buy a TM first, then if in a few months down the line you fancy other brands & models, fill yer boots, just don't sell the TM, you'll always go back to it😁

Archived