TM FN 5-7 pistol. Reliability and Durability problems true?

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

I have always been intrigued by the TM FN 5-7, think it would really suit with my other FN products (Especially the P90 for obvious reasons). 

My Strike Warrior can only really be used above 10 degrees, I am not a huge fan of the M9 U.S (Needs some TLC). So I am looking at something with a huge gas capacity that will run in the colder conditions, thinking the size of the 57 mags would mean a huge gas reservoir. 

I hear about the Frame/slide of the FN 57 cracking a fair amount, is this just people who use gas more then Green gas? I heard there are problems with the BBU/Mag release as well... Is this all just internet hear-say? If there are mods to be made to make it usable, what would I need?

My other options are a TM hi-cappa DOR or TM M93R AEP... but thats a little boring ;) 

22 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

You not thought about the TM FNX .45?

662EA65A-9C8F-410E-8ED1-8BAE6A91A4A8.thumb.jpeg.897b27aadb4fbb8d3811a3bf7417f59b.jpeg

Doesn't float my boat unfortunately :)

My DOR is struggling on nuprol 2.0 currently in the temperature at least FPS wise.  Readings taken last game day about 10 degrees. I do run the TM micro pro site and I have a tracer on the end so they probably effect it a little bit.

It still empties a full magazine and locks back ( tested all 3 magazines). 

@rocketdogbert what makes the fnx so good? 

Screenshot_20191019-104801_AceSoft.jpg

TM 5-7 definitely cracks, fairly consistently, with green gas use as far as I can recall. I don't think they've ever released an improved design but could be wrong.

E: An additional thought, you talk about looking for a "huge" reservoir but considering how 1911 pattern mags have one of the smallest common gbbp reservoirs on the market I'm sure you'd notice a huge difference just from getting something simple, like a Glock

Ive ran my FN5.7 on green/propane all year round for as long as Ive had it (several years now!) and its bloody brilliant. Its loud, snappy, makes an awesome sound indoors, and has a gargantuan gas reservoir normally getting best part of 2.5/3 mags of BBs on a single fill and has some kind of magic that just keeps on working regardless of temperature. Love it. Get one you wont regret it. 

As for slide cracking, everyone and their mum apparently "heard from a friend who knos someone whos mate's cousin's friend had a sister who once heard their brother's friend's dad's uncle's mate" that they crack all the time but never seen or heard of it from a first hand owners report. Maybe if youre going nuts with the trigger trying to make it full auto in the middle of a Texan summer heatwave running black gas it might, but then so might anything.

Pretty good summary from Pure Silver

1. The 5-7 was TM's first release with the then-new 13.5mm BBU architecture, and bluntly the gun isn't robust enough to stand up to the increased recoil. Cracked slides and cracked frames are common unless you shoot the gun on 134A. In hot weather even 134A may be too powerful. Now, there are other TM models that don't stand up well to propane (the Glocks being the most obvious examples) but...
  2. The 5-7 has very poor aftermarket support by TM's high standards. Few parts were made, and very few remain on sale. The one that really saves TM's Glocks (rugged aftermarket frames and slides) doesn't exist for the 5-7 - the polycarbonate Guarder kit is somehow even more brittle than the soft ABS TM use. The soft ABS is still pretty bad, because...
  3. The 5-7 is notorious for wear issues. The magazines erode the magazine catch and then the magazines fall out when you shoot the gun. The BBU erodes the slide and then the whole back half of the pistol falls apart. The controls wear shiny and the gun begins to look cheap.

@Musica 

FNX

Pro’s - 31 rnd capacity, 3 mags per fill, red dot ready, tactical design (attachments don’t affect performance), adjustable front sight, four different grip designs/sizes in the box, snappy and very close groupings straight out of the box, will run on green and red with zero issues it would appear (slide is very thick and robust, BBU relies on slide fit NOT rear sight to hold it in place)

BUT the best thing is an accurately measured, by @Dan1712 and I, 80m range on 0.4’s, and at 65m torso sized groupings every time.

Con’s - It’s baby diarrhoea brown, but Rit Dyemore fixes that 🙂

@Dan1712 has both a DOR Hi-Cappa and an FNX, he can give you direct hands on experience of both

Had an FN5-7 for about 9 months. Bought second hand, ran it on propane for the duration with no issues. I didn’t put a million BB’s through it, but it didn’t break. 

my team mate runs 5-7s on propylene it is detrimental to the internals performance after about 18 months to 2 year. They still workish and hes never have a slide crack.

My DOR does most of that but the FNX has the native support for barrel devices?  No need to hole punch the frame for a rail either and  a adjustable grip. I would tout the part support for DOR but the slide and anything inside it is pretty much a new design so old parts for 5.1 don't fit. No 50 round extended magazines for the FNX however so for a pistol primary it will struggle a bit with ammo but as a secondary it does seem very nice. If they release a black one I can see it being really popular. 

8 minutes ago, Musica said:

My DOR does most of that but the FNX has the native support for barrel devices?  No need to hole punch the frame for a rail either and  a adjustable grip. I would tout the part support for DOR but the slide and anything inside it is pretty much a new design so old parts for 5.1 don't fit. No 50 round extended magazines for the FNX however so for a pistol primary it will struggle a bit with ammo but as a secondary it does seem very nice. If they release a black one I can see it being really popular. 

All true, what’s the range on the DOR?

Totally conflicting opinions here. 

Still non the wiser! I would like to take a risk on the 5-7, but I know if anything goes wrong it will be to me knowing my luck! 

3 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

All true, what’s the range on the DOR?

Only used it at my CQB site but I've never struggled to hit anyone with it.  Made shots at the largest sight lines at my site has on just someone's head or elbow peaking out from cover.  Occasionally I notice 1 bb whiff off course wildly from where I was or thought I was pointing but soon followed up by the next one on target. 

Here is me doing some damage with it and in one of them my tracers can show the shot to shot accuracy. 

The 5-7 Is truly a hideous pistol! 

It looks very 'plasticky' although I'm aware of how ironic that sounds when we are discussing toys here!

Have you held one? It's bloody awful and doesn't sit in the hand well at all! 

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that I suppose...

51 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Totally conflicting opinions here. 

Still non the wiser! I would like to take a risk on the 5-7, but I know if anything goes wrong it will be to me knowing my luck! 

buy one, it’s not like you’re investing five grand in a Hyundai 😂😂

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RMDavis said:

The 5-7 Is truly a hideous pistol! 

It looks very 'plasticky' although I'm aware of how ironic that sounds when we are discussing toys here!

Have you held one? It's bloody awful and doesn't sit in the hand well at all! 

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that I suppose...

The real one is externally all plastic.... Soooooo?

As for the TM 5-7, I had one for a couple of years, ran it on a mixture of propane and green gas, no issues at all.  Never actually seen one with a cracked slide, much like the G17, never seen one of those crack a slide either.  

As always the Airsoft "i heard about a bloke who's mate's brother knew someone that cracked their TM pistol slide using green gas" bullshit is far more compelling than the literally thousands of TM pistols being used every Sunday on green gas with no issue. 

I think a lot of the myth comes from people trying to push them above 300fps with higher pressure gas.  I am riding my plastic slide till the end and if it breaks I am only really  currently considering another one currently as I don't need to short stroke or anything like that because it's so lightweight to begin with it cycles fast. Does the BB give a fuck if the slide is metal or plastic? I doubt it.

4 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

@Musica 

FNX

Pro’s - 31 rnd capacity, 3 mags per fill, red dot ready, tactical design (attachments don’t affect performance), adjustable front sight, four different grip designs/sizes in the box, snappy and very close groupings straight out of the box, will run on green and red with zero issues it would appear (slide is very thick and robust, BBU relies on slide fit NOT rear sight to hold it in place)

BUT the best thing is an accurately measured, by @Dan1712 and I, 80m range on 0.4’s, and at 65m torso sized groupings every time.

Con’s - It’s baby diarrhoea brown, but Rit Dyemore fixes that 🙂

@Dan1712 has both a DOR Hi-Cappa and an FNX, he can give you direct hands on experience of both

Is it a more solid gun than the TM HK45 or the full size USP? 

3 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

The real one is externally all plastic.... Soooooo?

As for the TM 5-7, I had one for a couple of years, ran it on a mixture of propane and green gas, no issues at all.  Never actually seen one with a cracked slide, much like the G17, never seen one of those crack a slide either.  

As always the Airsoft "i heard about a bloke who's mate's brother knew someone that cracked their TM pistol slide using green gas" bullshit is far more compelling than the literally thousands of TM pistols being used every Sunday on green gas with no issue. 

Yeah I'm sure TM used exactly the same polymer as FN did for the real thing... 😂

Nothing wrong with plastic pistols (all of mine are)

But the 5-7 has nowhere near the same level of finish as the pistols I own, maybe because it's one of their earlier models but it's very obvious.

• Supporters

It's a bit Marmite to be fair, prob not a big seller from the off, so not much encouragement for TM to spend time & wonga improving it ?, I'm sure they've never endorsed any QC issues with it, but some things just aren't meant to survive, like dodo's lol.

Archived