Battery options and barrel suggestions

Raytd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok I have a cyma m14 it’s a beaut but I only have the cheap 7.4v red batteries that last an hour at best I’m scared to burn out my guns (other one is king arms oa15) I’ve been told 11v batteries will last much longer and improve performance rates but will the cyma in particular die if I use higher battery ? I’m useless w all these opting for the usual lower power better safe than sorry batteries so it’s never something I’ve gotten a definitive answer about hence I thought I’d ask you guys because I prefer to trust people’s experience rather than my half baked research methods also what will a new barrel / hop up rubber actually change ???

thanks lads

• Supporters

the 11.1v will push the gun faster, and the extra wear can cause issues like pme etc that will kill the box.

however if you dont want a rate of fire increase then just get some larger 7.4's, you want a larger mah rating (milli amp-hours) for longer run time, generally i find over ~1100 is generally sufficient for a days shooting if you're not so trigger heavy but as long as the battery fits in the gun there's no harm in having even more capacity.

when it comes to barrel/hop really you're looking at 2 areas.

a good hop will be able to spin heavier ammo, and be a bit more consistent, heavier ammo of course will provide additional range (but a hop upgrade on it's own won't) if it's set up right it'll reduce curve deviation to the left/right (consistent left/right deviation means the hop isn't square in the barrel or the gun's being held at an angle). there's different types available, flat hops can be cheap and effective, although can have a very sensitive "sweet spot", PDI's W hop i quite like as a simple drop-in although it won't handle really heavy ammo, there's the likes of maple leaf's macaron, which are good although the feed lips can cause jamming and need some sanding down. the king is a well set up Rhop, but they're a pain to get right.

a barrel will decrease linear deviation, there's arguments about tight versus wide bore etc but imo this is secondary to quality, although tightbores will need to be cleaned more regularly. personally i get good results from PDI, although i've heard good stuff about EDGI/Orga barrels too.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the 11.1v will push the gun faster, and the extra wear can cause issues like pme etc that will kill the box.

however if you dont want a rate of fire increase then just get some larger 7.4's, you want a larger mah rating (milli amp-hours) for longer run time, generally i find over ~1100 is generally sufficient for a days shooting if you're not so trigger heavy but as long as the battery fits in the gun there's no harm in having even more capacity.

when it comes to barrel/hop really you're looking at 2 areas.

a good hop will be able to spin heavier ammo, and be a bit more consistent, heavier ammo of course will provide additional range (but a hop upgrade on it's own won't) if it's set up right it'll reduce curve deviation to the left/right (consistent left/right deviation means the hop isn't square in the barrel or the gun's being held at an angle). there's different types available, flat hops can be cheap and effective, although can have a very sensitive "sweet spot", PDI's W hop i quite like as a simple drop-in although it won't handle really heavy ammo, there's the likes of maple leaf's macaron, which are good although the feed lips can cause jamming and need some sanding down. the king is a well set up Rhop, but they're a pain to get right.

a barrel will decrease linear deviation, there's arguments about tight versus wide bore etc but imo this is secondary to quality, although tightbores will need to be cleaned more regularly. personally i get good results from PDI, although i've heard good stuff about EDGI/Orga barrels too.

Well damn y’all just wrote an essay 

thank you for fast response with such good info I’m looking into making my ka oa15 a high rof fun and increasing range of my m14 I don’t like upgrading my guns myself as I’ve made mistakes b4 

anyone in kent that does upgrades or repairs ? 

Thanks again

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Raytd said:

Ok I have a cyma m14 it’s a beaut but I only have the cheap 7.4v red batteries that last an hour at best I’m scared to burn out my guns (other one is king arms oa15) I’ve been told 11v batteries will last much longer and improve performance rates but will the cyma in particular die if I use higher battery ? I’m useless w all these opting for the usual lower power better safe than sorry batteries so it’s never something I’ve gotten a definitive answer about hence I thought I’d ask you guys because I prefer to trust people’s experience rather than my half baked research methods also what will a new barrel / hop up rubber actually change ???

thanks lads

As @Adolf Hamster said, you could just get a bigger capacity battery (especially with the M14). I would say that an 11.1v isn't really the way to go on the M14 as the gearbox is fairly lazy at the best of times, if you you're still running the original motor then a high torque one might better suit.

Archived