UKARA, Two-Tones and stripping paint

FirsthandSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I'm just a little intriguied at what point it is okay to take the paint off of my two tone.

I bought my first weapon in July, Classic Army ISSC Mk.II, and as I wasnt a member of any particular site at that time I had to purchase a two tone. Still yet am I to become a member anywhere as I have visited a few sites rather than just one particular site multiple times. However, with regards to UKARA, does anyone know if that is only required for the purchase of RIF's or is that needed in order to strip the paint from a two tone?

What I'm trying to ask is, do I need to have UKARA registration before I strip the paint from my rifle? :)
And if I can, what is the best thing to remove it?

Many thanks and warm regards

Snow.

This topic comes up so often;

If you're nota member of a site and removed the paint, nobody will check, nobody will care. Your defence is you play Airsoft. To buy a gun, that is black, is a different story

The UKARA is just a scheme produced by airsoft retailers, this is a method of validating a buyers intention as an airside skirmisher.

Original drafts of the VCR bill had removing paint from an IF or painting an IF into a RIF as a specific offence,  but this has subsequently been removed.

As long as your intent is to play at established sites then you are fine.

Nobody is gong to know or care.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

You need a VCRA Defence (UKARA being one suitable defence) to manufacture a RIF, which is what you're doing when you take the bright paint off.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

(c) he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

(d )he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

As long as your intent is to play at established sites then you are fine.

Nobody is gong to know or care.

Anyway, that.

The offence is committed at the point where you do it, not the point where it's discovered.  If you play airsoft at an insured skirmish site after modifying your IF into a RIF, then you will have established by performance what your intent was.

As to what to use, it depends on the paint and whether it's on plastic or metal.  You could start with isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) and move up from there.  Petrol is a powerful solvent, just don't get it on any plastic parts.

• 4 weeks later...

also  from painting minitures I found fairy power spray was relativerly good for removing paint safely- leave on lover night then scrub off.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, remus said:

also  from painting minitures I found fairy power spray was relativerly good for removing paint safely- leave on lover night then scrub off.

How recent is this? T'intardnets suggest that it's no longer effective: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/331914-fairy-power-sprays-newcurrent-formula/

7 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

How recent is this? T'intardnets suggest that it's no longer effective: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/331914-fairy-power-sprays-newcurrent-formula/

was a few years- in that time gw has replaced its paints afew times to tbh but quite likely a recipe change on the fairy front. I will test it out in the new year when I get time to pick up minis again...

Archived