New rifle hot out of the box

Superkillyjedi86
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just wondered if someone could give me a second opinion. Picked up a new ares rk47. I test fired it and it's coming out between 357 and 362 fps.  Have only run about 100 rounds through it. The site i play at is pretty strict on max 350 fps. If I run about 3000 rounds through it should this bring it down a bit ? I've read that the spring just needs to be run in sometimes on a new gun. Should that do it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Although its within the legal limit, so not sure why the seller would agree to sort anything out. Unless they told you it was below 350fps

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Although its within the legal limit,

When tested with 0.2g plastic BBs, yes.

so not sure why the seller would agree to sort anything out.

So that they don't get named and pick up a reputation for selling toy guns that are too hot to use at most UK sites.

PatrolBase chrono all of their guns.  Why can't other sellers?

But it's not the responsibility of the retailer to decide which sites they could be used at. As long as it's under the legal limit,  which it is, then that's the responsibility covered regarding the fps.

• Supporters

You'd be happy if you bought an AEG shooting at over 360fps and failed chrono, right?

Are  you aware of any UK sellers who don't list energy or fps for their guns?

If my site limit is lower then I would do my homework. And ask the retailer to downgrade if it was needed.

UK legal limit is not 350.

Do buyers not have to take any responsibility on buying what actually suits their needs?

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will see if running it in does anything. If not will go back to the retailer for help. I did ask specifically about it shooting under 350, and it was confirmed it would. If any issues post that will to back to the retailer. And if worst comes to the worst will just look to get the spring swapped.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Been out of the hobby for some years so wasnt sure.

• Supporters

In that case it's been mis sold as they said sub 350 fps.

you-dont-say-meme.jpg?w=500

So, about those very simple questions that you didn't answer.

Do you have any answers yet?

It's a bit moot really, either it was advertised as sub 350 or it wasn't.

If it was, as is indeed the case, it's been mis-sold. If not, whilst 360 is not ideal, it's not illegal.

Yes I would be happy with a gun shooting 360fps as it's not illegal. I wouldn't order one if my field limit was below 360fps though.

I don't need to be aware of any retailers that don't list fps. I am capable of asking if I want to know. Have done so, and have not ordered as a result on the past.

23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

you-dont-say-meme.jpg?w=500

So, about those very simple questions that you didn't answer.

Do you have any answers yet?

Whilst you might think you are being clever, it's only in his latest post that the OP stated the shop had said it would be sub 350.

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Yes I would be happy with a gun shooting 360fps

I totally believe you and absolutely don't think that you're giving it Billy Big Bananas on the internets when you'd really be crying like a baby if you'd been kicked off site at chrono, without any doubt, certainly.

Roger, it seems you're being deliberately obtuse.  If you wanted a 360fps RIF, you buy one.  If you wanted a 350fps gun and it turns out it's 360fps, I'm sure anyone would be annoyed. 

You look at the details on the site and then complain if it's different to what's advertised.  I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Roger, it seems you're being deliberately obtuse. 

you-dont-say-meme.jpg?w=500&key=a9137c17

Also, Plonk Fish for everyone in this thread.

Plonk.

Fish.

If a UK retailer wants to sell a gun that shoots over 350fps it should be made VERY clear to the buyer without the buyer having to ask for this type of information. Most UK sites are 350fps limit. Some are lower some are higher but those are the minority not the majority.

Patrol base even list this as stat on their website. This pistol is uk legal it can actually shoot another 110FPS and still be UK legal but patrol base have the sense to tell customers it's not site legal.

image.png.fc51d83af9b47146f1ccb86f4f910c09.png

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-mk1-pistol?pv=944

It's a very stupid discussion going on here. No one would be very happy with a gun shooting over 350 unless that was their intention in the first place when ordering. I certainly wouldn't order from a retailer if they don't cover all the postage costs etc for OP to get this sorted. Mistakes happen but if a retailer was arsey about this I would never order from them again.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Musica said:

It's a very stupid discussion going on here

<you-dont-say.pn... ;)

Of course it is.  No reputable UK retailer would market or deliberately sell a full auto AEG that chronos at over 350fps.

If I had to guess, or even if I didn't, I'd guess that OP has bought from a retailer with "BB" in their URL.

• 2 months later...

I have a very understanding site that let's me run @354-362. This is out of the box and in terrified to clean it. The shop I brought it stated a test fire of 348,  from the first time I used it, it fired hot. it couldn't send it back due to timings.

I do have to dump near a full (hi-cap) mag through it to take the edge of a battery

Have you got any hop on it ? set it up for the weight you are going to use in it then chrono it again, ideally on joules . 350 fps on .2s is 1.132 j , or using .2s if that's how your site does it. Given that it's not firing a lot over the 350 that may well do the trick. I've got an MP5 a bit like that, set for .25s it chronos fine , we chrono on joules at my local site, but if I take all the hop off it gets a tad hot for the site limits, but then it'll never get used with the hop right off.

5 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Have you got any hop on it ? set it up for the weight you are going to use in it then chrono it again, ideally on joules . 350 fps on .2s is 1.132 j , or using .2s if that's how your site does it. Given that it's not firing a lot over the 350 that may well do the trick. I've got an MP5 a bit like that, set for .25s it chronos fine , we chrono on joules at my local site, but if I take all the hop off it gets a tad hot for the site limits, but then it'll never get used with the hop right off.

On a couple of my rifles adding a little bit of hop actually makes it fire hotter as their is less air escaping around the BB! So be careful with that on some rifles!

14 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

On a couple of my rifles adding a little bit of hop actually makes it fire hotter as their is less air escaping around the BB! So be careful with that on some rifles!

To be fair my sniper is like that, don't seem to get the issue with my aeg's though. I wonder if choice of hop rubber has an affect ?

3 hours ago, Nick G said:

To be fair my sniper is like that, don't seem to get the issue with my aeg's though. I wonder if choice of hop rubber has an affect ?

If it seals around the BB then not a lot but if the seal isn't great and applying a bit of hop makes it seal then you'd expect this. Fairly common thing on VSR's and also a wonderfully underhand way to try and get a hot gun through a chrono if you knock the hop off to chrono. Fairly large drop in FPS by doing that.

Archived