The Fitness Thread

Sawyer
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

4 minutes ago, Aengus said:

chicken and rice

Wholemeal rice. Although I don't really partake in that at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Image result for i believe in fitness pizza meme

Papa Johns is life, and it's also why I nearly made it to a whole 15 stone. Don't want to be back there 😂

• Supporters
Just now, Sawyer said:

Papa Johns is life, and it's also why I nearly made it to a whole 15 stone. Don't want to be back there 😂

I feel your pain. I went from 18.5 stone to 14, crept back up to 17 now :(

6 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I feel your pain. I went from 18.5 stone to 14, crept back up to 17 now :(

I'm down to 12.5 now, from just over 14.5.

Simply through eating less, and making sure what I did eat wasn't utter shit. I still do a curry on a weekend with mates etc, but for the most part, refined sugar is out, as is white bread. You've got to hold yourself accountable for what you eat, and some excercise helps too (Airsoft should have that covered, haha)

13 stone 5ft9 

I just weight the bad things so I can keep under my calorie goal. It's a goal as well I make sure I eat that many not under because then I know I've had enough to eat to survive. 

9 minutes ago, Musica said:

13 stone 5ft9 

I just weight the bad things so I can keep under my calorie goal. It's a goal as well I make sure I eat that many not under because then I know I've had enough to eat to survive. 

I try and get as close to a 40/40/20 split of Protein, Fat and Carbs, within that calorie goal.

5 foot 10, was 12 stone at my highest, around 11 now. Aiming to heavily reduce my body fat, before bulking back up in muscle. I don't really control portion sizes because I only eat twice a day. I've cut out all snacking and sugar, helped massively. Need to do more cardio, was thinking of getting of travail fitness plates but can only justify them if I can find some discrete plate carrier, don't want to be running around town with my multicam plate carrier tbh just for the sake of fitness, i'm walting it up enough as is playing airsoft.

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago.

A mate calls me:

Mate: "What you been up to?"

Me: "Just been to the gym"

Mate: "What???  Where are you now?"

Me: "Just at the kebab shop."

Genuine conversation 🤣

41 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

Mate: "What you been up to?"

Me: "Just been to the gym"

Mate: "What???  Where are you now?"

Me: "Just at the kebab shop."

Literally me when I quit mtb downhill racing 11 years ago.

Went from 75Kgs to 90 in a couple of months.

Never been slim, but now i'm just a little ball of fat .-.

8 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Wholemeal rice. Although I don't really partake in that at the moment.

Never really bothered with whole meal rice, would you recommend? Add in a lunch before lunch and a protein shake during the day then one after a session when you’re on the bulk. Got me to 76kg (a healthy overweight bmi 😂, 96th percentile considering my age and height) and the most lean I’ve been. 

Not weighed myself in a while so could be verging on 80kg nowadays.

10 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Never really bothered with whole meal rice, would you recommend? 

Nutritionally it's incredible, loads of fiber and micronutrients that you don't get in more refined types of rice.

It's a bugger to cook right though, at least to a bad cook such as myself, and is a lot chewier. I find it a chore to both cook and eat - I prefer wholegrain pasta to get a similar nutritional profile

• Supporters

Mea culpa on giving in to the belly big style.  I switched from pedal cycling to motor cycling about a decade back and the pounds and stones just went on and never came off. :(

I'm rolling it back slightly and gradually now through restricted eating hours - I'm only eating between noon and 7pm. Don't break your fast, embrace and extend it for as long as possible to give your body time to come off the sugar rush and start burning fat - carbs really are Satan's spunk.  Best part, you'll likely go into ketosis while you're asleep rather than getting those "Stay on the sugars, man, don't crash," cravings when you're on the verge of switching to burning fat during the day.

I find a simple rule like that is much easier to stick to than calorie counting, and curiously am not ravenous by mid-day.  Quite the opposite actually: once you're in ketosis, the sugar cravings stop and you can eat something sensible rather than Jonesing for more Devil jizz.

Bear in mind that Caveman You wasn't evolved to wake up, scratch his arse, and find a bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs waiting for him first thing in the morning.  It's unnatural to have food, especially high carb food, constantly to hand.

tl;dr version - skip breakfast, spend the money you save on a smaller belt.

Caveat: still a fat bastard though, and may be delirious from hunger. ;)

+1 for restricted eating hours. I eat between 1400 and 2000.

Black coffee, no sugar, and water in the morning.

Lunch about 1400

Dinner before 2000

Like @Rogerborg said, not nearly as bad as you might think for cravings. Water intake naturally increase too I've found. 

I don't let this rule me on the weekends, but I find I can stick to it Monday to Friday without issue.

41 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

I don't let this rule me on the weekends, but I find I can stick to it Monday to Friday without issue.

I think it is important to have an outlet as no one can stick to a cold turkey diet forever. You need something to look forward to short term. Almost every Friday night I get a few snacks for the weekend on the way home from work. I'd lose more without it but I might of sacked it altogether by now if I couldn't have some fun. Me and the OH are saving for a Disney holiday so we cut out deliveries all together 😭

BEEEEEEEEEEEER

Literally my biggest flaw,  popping to the pub after work and having a couple of beers a night with my mate piles on the pounds, at least around the waist!

5 minutes ago, Musica said:

Obviously airsoft uses  cardio at times but for excercises to help with say holding your rifle at ready etc what do people think? 

Just get generally strong across all ranges of motion + some isometric holds for front side and rear delts but i would guess the former is significantly more important. 

27 minutes ago, Musica said:

Obviously airsoft uses  cardio at times but for excercises to help with say holding your rifle at ready etc what do people think? 

Shoulder raises for sure. Front, sides etc...

blew up to 16stone, got down to 13, then back up to 15 and now sitting about 14st 9lbs. My weight fluctuates so much that even my scales get confused. Working in a chip shop makes the battle even worse.

But somethings i have slowly come to understand.

Portion size, try to get it under control.

Snacking... bane of my life. Finish a 5 hour shift and nearly always hungry. That means chips because there are some left. Trying to stop that.

Swapping out fizzy drinks for squash or water. Easier said than done but it does make a difference in both weight control and well being..

Exercise wise i found 2-3 runs a week of around 5k and a couple of gym sessions on non run days also made a difference. Especially if your throwing in a mix of cardio and free weight work. Thinks like deadlifts etc. But keep the weights lower if your just in it for weight loss and go for higher reps/sets.

Some stuff takes a lot of mental adjustment. I was playing american football and training for that is all small sets with big weights and lots of protein/calorie heavy meals. Now i am just trying to adjust to a shape other than round and it s a mental battle against what i was doing.

If you want to strengthen your core try some focused circuits.

45 secoonds ab crunches 15 seconds rest.

45 seconds toe touches 15 seconds rest

45 seconds leg raises 15 seconds rest

45 seconds russian twists 15 seconds rest

45 seconds plank.

1 minute rest.

try to work up to 3 circuits of that allowing a 1 minute rest between circuits. If you start finding it easy, add in a light weight and start 'piking' your legs up on the raises.

A good back strengthener is to do supermans. Basically lay flat on the floor, arms and legs stretched out and then raise your arms and legs a few inches from the floor and hold for 5 seconds. Rinse and repeat either for a minute or until you fail.

9 hours ago, ghostwalker said:

blew up to 16stone, got down to 13, then back up to 15 and now sitting about 14st 9lbs. My weight fluctuates so much that even my scales get confused. Working in a chip shop makes the battle even worse.

But somethings i have slowly come to understand.

Portion size, try to get it under control.

Snacking... bane of my life. Finish a 5 hour shift and nearly always hungry. That means chips because there are some left. Trying to stop that.

Swapping out fizzy drinks for squash or water. Easier said than done but it does make a difference in both weight control and well being..

Exercise wise i found 2-3 runs a week of around 5k and a couple of gym sessions on non run days also made a difference. Especially if your throwing in a mix of cardio and free weight work. Thinks like deadlifts etc. But keep the weights lower if your just in it for weight loss and go for higher reps/sets.

Some stuff takes a lot of mental adjustment. I was playing american football and training for that is all small sets with big weights and lots of protein/calorie heavy meals. Now i am just trying to adjust to a shape other than round and it s a mental battle against what i was doing.

If you want to strengthen your core try some focused circuits.

45 secoonds ab crunches 15 seconds rest.

45 seconds toe touches 15 seconds rest

45 seconds leg raises 15 seconds rest

45 seconds russian twists 15 seconds rest

45 seconds plank.

1 minute rest.

try to work up to 3 circuits of that allowing a 1 minute rest between circuits. If you start finding it easy, add in a light weight and start 'piking' your legs up on the raises.

A good back strengthener is to do supermans. Basically lay flat on the floor, arms and legs stretched out and then raise your arms and legs a few inches from the floor and hold for 5 seconds. Rinse and repeat either for a minute or until you fail.

Don’t go for low weight high reps if you just want to be fit and healthy. You’ll enjoy it more (and therefore more likely to stick it) of you lift heavy because you’ll see your progress hitting new pr’s and gaining visible muscle mass as you go! Found 6-8 reps is my sweet spot between lifting heavy and doing more than 3 reps. If you don’t want to be a circle work on getting your shoulders and lats wider 👍

Archived