Rubber Machete

AmberYooToob
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a “real steel” rubber machete but I don’t have space for it in my bag/bike alongside the rest of my gear but the sheaf has clips that could attach to the outside of my bag, would this be a problem legally or would I be best off leaving it at home?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mostly Retired Moderators

That'd be a big no if it was me.

Anything that can be mistakenly interpreted as an offensive Item should not be visible to the public.

I don't even have magazines or even carriers or belt rigs out in public (though chavs are wearing mini chest rigs as fashion pieces - Jesus wept).

1 minute ago, L3wisD said:

Anything that can be mistakenly interpreted as an offensive Item should not be visible to the public.

I don't even have magazines or even carriers or belt rigs out in public (though chavs are wearing mini chest rigs as fashion pieces - Jesus wept).

My friend recognised it immediately as a fake without me taking it from the sheaf or knowing I even airsoft though I realised after your reply a picture would almost definitely be helpful for answers 

image.jpg

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, AmberYooToob said:

I have a “real steel” rubber machete but I don’t have space for it in my bag/bike alongside the rest of my gear but the sheaf has clips that could attach to the outside of my bag, would this be a problem legally or would I be best off leaving it at home?

The fact that your asking the question tells me that deep down you already know the answer 😏

18 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

What he said 🙄

14 minutes ago, AmberYooToob said:

My friend recognised it immediately as a fake without me taking it from the sheaf or knowing I even airsoft though I realised after your reply a picture would almost definitely be helpful for answers 

image.jpg

Still no, a member of the public might think it's real, make a panicky 999 call, & then the proverbial shit hits the fan, best case you get a severe bollocking, worst case you get shot dead by a jumpy cop & in the ensuing public inquest airsoft gets the shit kicked out of it & we have to paint ALL of our kit orange.

PS. Are you saying you have a rifle in a bag/case, but don't have room to squeeze the machete in with it ? 🤔

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AmberYooToob said:

Well, you've got what you wanted.

985.jpg

Now stop being so bloody silly.

You know fine well what the likely consequences are of open carrying a machete.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Well, you've got what you wanted.

985.jpg

Now stop being so bloody silly.

You know fine well what the likely consequences are of open carrying a machete.

Considering I’ve worn a rubber pirate saber taking my niece trick or treating and going to a costume party with no issue I felt it to be a perfectly reasonable question I don’t care for attention.

3 minutes ago, Musica said:

would sites even allow a ruber machete ?

I asked my local site and they said as long as it bends 90 degrees it’s fine as a “combat knife/ Bayonet” and obviously don’t go snacking people with it plus it doesn’t count as a weapon in terms of the weapon hit rule

1 minute ago, AmberYooToob said:

Considering I’ve worn a rubber pirate saber taking my niece trick or treating and going to a costume party with no issue I felt it to be a perfectly reasonable question I don’t care for attention.

hmm I wonder what could be different about a day where people aren't in costume.

Just now, Musica said:

hmm I wonder what could be different about a day where people aren't in costume.

The two incidents were at different times of the year they were not both Halloween related.

image.jpg

Yeah. No. Don't take that outside in plain view. When you're being red dotted by a Taser officer, they won't give two fucks that you're saying "it's rubber".

1 minute ago, Sawyer said:

Yeah. No. Don't take that outside in plain view. When you're being red dotted by a Taser officer, they won't give two fucks that you're saying "it's rubber".

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

Thanks for the answer

also it would be more likely a traffic officer or a patrol car as I would be driving my bike, moot point though

Just now, AmberYooToob said:

also it would be more likely a traffic officer or a patrol car as I would be driving my bike, moot point though 

Pretty much all traffic and response/patrol carry now, but yeah.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

PS. Are you saying you have a rifle in a bag/case, but don't have room to squeeze the machete in with it ? 

I have 2 rifles, a pistol, a drop leg holster, a chest rig, a boony, 2 bottles of gas, 4 pistol mags, 2 hi cap ak mags, 3 sniper mags, 2 optics (one magnified 1 red dot), an unjamming rod, 2 90 round speed loaders, 3 sets of eye protection, 2 different forms of lower face protection (gas mask and mesh mask depending on game mode) a set of Alan keys, a gas grenade, a pair of gloves and a bag of .20 bbs in my bag

in my bike I’m carrying a pair of boots, a bag of G&G.25 bbs, a pair of hiking boots , a hydration bladder (full), a bottle of sniper bbs, a sandwich and 2 protein bars for in game snack if I get hungry oh and 2 heavy duty reinforced chains for when I park my bike

my bags weight is at the maximum I can carry

There are a few scenarios that may not be immediately obvious, and can vary by location and appearances.

There is the obvious of being seen to be carrying an offensive weapon.  
You may be stopped by traffic officers whether that is due to the weapon being seen or for other reasons, then they notice it during the stop.

However you may be reported by any member of the public, and an appropriate response begin called out

Best case scenario is a chat and some advice

Bit worse is a more enforced response that can vary based on your attitude/reactions and how they are primed.  There may be other issues going on to heighten their response

Things can go bad very quickly due to other factors, such as being shot dead in an armed response due to being Scottish in London with a table leg in a carrier bag.  This was in the height of the IRAs London campaign and members of the public reporting a man with an accent and a sawn off shot gun.  The wrong reaction in the heat of the moment ended up with a dead innocent man

We also have the case of armed police being commended for not shooting a teenager who pulled out their BB gun ‘jokingly’ from their trousers pointed back at the armed police.  This idiot remains alive because a policeman hesitated in disbelief.  If they were wrong then the officer would have died 

There is also another possibility, terrorism remains a threat, both classic organized and modern individuals. To both an airsofter who travels partly dressed, and with military looking gear maybe confused with a valuable target.

You will see off duty / traveling service personnel out and about who have the signs.  They are advised based on security threats on what is and is not wise.  Mixed dress is a no no, but regularly happens.

An airsofter can unwittingly come to the attention of undesirables as an opportunistic target, and if they are mistaken it’s still worth the bad publicity.

The majority of the time nobody pays any attention.  But the odd fancy dress does get reported 

Locally we had an armed response due to an AK47 being seen.

The manager of the local vodka bar slept in the bar after the New Year’s Eve party.  In the morning he pottered around clearing up, put his comedy fancy dress ak47 in his car boot, pottered around some more, then found himself being called out by megaphone and the street full of armed police 

Bag and cover your kit

If you have too much to bag / transport for your method of travel then thin down the kit.

6 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

There are a few scenarios that may not be immediately obvious, and can vary by location and appearances.

There is the obvious of being seen to be carrying an offensive weapon.  
You may be stopped by traffic officers whether that is due to the weapon being seen or for other reasons, then they notice it during the stop.

However you may be reported by any member of the public, and an appropriate response begin called out

Best case scenario is a chat and some advice

Bit worse is a more enforced response that can vary based on your attitude/reactions and how they are primed.  There may be other issues going on to heighten their response

Things can go bad very quickly due to other factors, such as being shot dead in an armed response due to being Scottish in London with a table leg in a carrier bag.  This was in the height of the IRAs London campaign and members of the public reporting a man with an accent and a sawn off shot gun.  The wrong reaction in the heat of the moment ended up with a dead innocent man

We also have the case of armed police being commended for not shooting a teenager who pulled out their BB gun ‘jokingly’ from their trousers pointed back at the armed police.  This idiot remains alive because a policeman hesitated in disbelief.  If they were wrong then the officer would have died 

There is also another possibility, terrorism remains a threat, both classic organized and modern individuals. To both an airsofter who travels partly dressed, and with military looking gear maybe confused with a valuable target.

You will see off duty / traveling service personnel out and about who have the signs.  They are advised based on security threats on what is and is not wise.  Mixed dress is a no no, but regularly happens.

An airsofter can unwittingly come to the attention of undesirables as an opportunistic target, and if they are mistaken it’s still worth the bad publicity.

The majority of the time nobody pays any attention.  But the odd fancy dress does get reported 

Locally we had an armed response due to an AK47 being seen.

The manager of the local vodka bar slept in the bar after the New Year’s Eve party.  In the morning he pottered around clearing up, put his comedy fancy dress ak47 in his car boot, pottered around some more, then found himself being called out by megaphone and the street full of armed police 

Bag and cover your kit

If you have too much to bag / transport for your method of travel then thin down the kit.

Thanks, I’ll leave it behind this time

1 hour ago, Sawyer said:

Pretty much all traffic and response/patrol carry now, but yeah.

Nope.

Thanks, I’ll leave it behind this time

I don't think you have to leave it behind, grab a molle attachment bag, and place it inside there. Or if youre on a motorbike, put it under your seat. If it's out of view and locked away, a reasonable response for having it would be you're going to Airsoft, along with the gun and other type of property you'll have on you, plus a booking email potentially. Failing that, move some bits around in your bag and squeeze it in, you'll be surprised how much space a red dot takes up when that can go in your pocket or somewhere else. Something like this

Huntvp Tactical Military Water Bottle Pouch Holder Keelte Canteen Bag Pack Molle Gear Crossbody Pack(800ml) Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRWKJ3D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bILPDbWQEEA32

21 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Nope.

Considering I only left in Feb, I'm hard gonna disagree, but carry on...

If you're not dog shit, and you're not a probbie, and you're on team, you're getting one, or you have one.

You got a pretty high percentage chance of coming across one now in any case. More often than not I would suggest, in London in any case.

26 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I don't think you have to leave it behind, grab a molle attachment bag, and place it inside there. Or if youre on a motorbike, put it under your seat. 

Unfortunately I have to leave something behind in order to do my insane pistol/machete charges as under my seat is full my bag is full and I’ve spent my expendable funds already on a sniper+scope and bbs plus a second sling point attachment for my RK74 

48 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

Considering I only left in Feb, I'm hard gonna disagree, but carry on...

If you're not dog shit, and you're not a probbie, and you're on team, you're getting one, or you have one.

You got a pretty high percentage chance of coming across one now in any case. More often than not I would suggest, in London in any case.

Only 6000 ish have them currently within the met out of 31000 officers. By 2020 they want the met to have roughly 6500. 

Unlike other forces, the met does not find it necessary or practicable to arm every officer with a taser. 

If you're looking outside the met, you only have to Google the word taser to see that many forces are now arming a lot of their officers with tasers.

I'll give you a clip from BBC news from August 2019 following the recent attacks on constables

"Earlier this week, Northamptonshire Police announced it will be the first force in the country to arm all of its frontline officers with the electric stun guns" Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't traffic/patrol/team whatever you want to call them frontline? Probbies are surely including the ALL FRONTLINE part, right?

11 hours ago, AmberYooToob said:

10 hours ago, AmberYooToob said:

image.jpg

9 hours ago, AmberYooToob said:

Thanks for the answer

8 hours ago, AmberYooToob said:

I have 2 rifles, a pistol, a drop leg holster, a chest rig, a boony, 2 bottles of gas, 4 pistol mags, 2 hi cap ak mags, 3 sniper mags, 2 optics (one magnified 1 red dot), an unjamming rod, 2 90 round speed loaders, 3 sets of eye protection, 2 different forms of lower face protection (gas mask and mesh mask depending on game mode) a set of Alan keys, a gas grenade, a pair of gloves and a bag of .20 bbs in my bag

in my bike I’m carrying a pair of boots, a bag of G&G.25 bbs, a pair of hiking boots , a hydration bladder (full), a bottle of sniper bbs, a sandwich and 2 protein bars for in game snack if I get hungry oh and 2 heavy duty reinforced chains for when I park my bike

my bags weight is at the maximum I can carry

• Unless that bends you're shit out of luck on using it anyway
  • Just because your friend recognized it means fuck all to the general public, even real firearms officers struggle to tell if something is a legitimate gun until inspected upi need to treat everything that could be considered a weapon as if it is as general public have no clue when it comes to this sort of thing.
  • Is appropriate to be transporting that amount of gear on a bike (not sure why but I'm assuming peddle bike)
  • If the bag weight is the max you can carry I'd suggest looking at how much you actually need to take with you, Id call into question the safety implications of if the load in your bag shifts and you take a tumble

To reiterate a point raised above... if you actually have to ask if its a bad idea then it probably is and I don't thing Luke at Reforger would take kindly to having the police following you onto site because you cant fit a fake machete in your bag that you probably wont use anyway.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

To reiterate a point raised above... if you actually have to ask if its a bad idea then it probably is and I don't thing Luke at Reforger would take kindly to having the police following you onto site because you cant fit a fake machete in your bag that you probably wont use anyway.

It’s a motorbike btw but more importantly I’ve got the message which is why I’ve unfollowed my own post, thanks for reinforcing the message hope to see you on Sunday assuming you’re going.

8 hours ago, Robert James said:

Only 6000 ish have them currently within the met out of 31000 officers. By 2020 they want the met to have roughly 6500. 

Unlike other forces, the met does not find it necessary or practicable to arm every officer with a taser. 

Please, keep explaining my former work to me. You're clearly an expert. Read "pretty much all" in my first post.

As for probbies, yeah they're frontline, they're also new and don't have the necessary experience to be put forward for the course. That's the attitude of the Met anyway, other forces may differ.

Edit: and you've still got to pass the course once you're on it. 

2 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Please, keep explaining my former work to me. You're clearly an expert. Read "pretty much all" in my first post.

As for probbies, yeah they're frontline, they're also new and don't have the necessary experience to be put forward for the course. That's the attitude of the Met anyway, other forces may differ.

Edit: and you've still got to pass the course once you're on it. 

It's not pretty much all though is it? Im not an expert but 1/5 of ALL officers is not pretty much all. 

I know you still have to pass a course. I also understand that if a knife was mentioned on a call, a taser unit would attend however, not all response have one though as per your original post. So if a knife wasn't mentioned, just a strange guy on a moped wearing camo and going up and down the road, chances are taser wouldn't be deployed.

I spoke with a colleague about this, his response to your original statement was the same as mine "Nope"

But hey, I'm not lecturing you on your former work. Just giving you insight of my current work. I'm probably still wrong though, right? 

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

It's not pretty much all though is it? Im not an expert but 1/5 of ALL officers is not pretty much all. 

If you're ERPT in the Met then you know the numbers are significantly higher than that. 

I'm not here for a dick waving contest. I know what I know and clearly you know what you know.

Archived