What do you look for in an airsoft blog/channel?

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 minute ago, Samurai said:

No one would watch average joe's average airsoft games.

Youtubers create controversial content on purpose. Look at this thread, we are talking about a video, that's exactly what they are going for. They are not like that in real life, the audience, you form them to what you want to see. So I think it's not the youtubers who influence the players to be like that, it's the other way around.

Mustang moves crosshairs to the head, chooses titles and thumbnails that can be triggering, etc because that's what people want. Even the ones hating him. He's very good at creating good content from normal game days.

Wasnt long ago it was Nov doing the same thing. Yet you look at the old vids from people like caferacing and you see what youtube sniper videos should be like.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Oh I don't deny that there are some shots that he could quite easily have got a body hit. I don't think I was defending him in that respect and I don't agree with taking headshots when a full body is on display but I will say and coming from a person that generally only wears shooting glasses and has had a tooth knocked out by a face shot, if you don't want that to happen regardless of who is shooting you...wear full face. If you choose to play without it, I'm not sure what you expect to happen. Myself included.

i'm not saying that skipping full face isn't a risk, i have a right shiner on my cheek at the moment testament to that, although i've been lucky enough to keep all my teeth thus far (although i've seen it happen to mates).

it's just a case of regardless of what some is or isn't wearing on their face, shooting there intentionally when you have a choice is a dick move that shouldn't be encouraged, to do so "in the name of airsoft justice" doubly so.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Samurai said:

So I think it's not the youtubers who influence the players to be like that, it's the other way around.

Absolutely they do it because clickbait works and viewers are culpable for rewarding it.  Me, I just report sidebar CHEETAR PUNIHSED!!! as harmful/dangerous now, because it's harmful to the hobby.

And I truly believe that it is, because I doubt that everyone who watches is doing so in order to tut and disapprove.

If sites don't want that sort of play (whether it's real, or the magic of editing), then it's up to them to put a stop to it, and I'm glad to see it happening at long last.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

If sites don't want that sort of play (whether it's real, or the magic of editing), then it's up to them to put a stop to it, and I'm glad to see it happening at long last.

Careful, we will be playing laser tag instead of airsoft at this rate.

Maybe not even that. Laser melts snowflakes.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Samurai said:

Careful, we will be playing laser tag instead of airsoft at this rate.

At least my eyepro won't fog up.

8 hours ago, Samurai said:

Maybe not even that. Laser melts snowflakes.

As you said, everyone's LARPing online.

• 2 weeks later...

What do I look for in a blog?

Somewhere that will cover gear, RiFs, be authentic and totally honest.

Somewhere like here: https://thegearconfessional.wordpress.com/

• Supporters

Aaand I've just unsubbed from the otherwise excellent Bad Influence Airsoft because he posted a clickbait CHEETAR video.

You don't need to adduce statistical evidence that showcasing being a Dark Knight Punishertm normalises and promotes that behaviour in others.

Did over hear some kids on sunday going on about  nov's pistol.  Clearly big fans of his. To the point that any silent nbb pistol on site must be his ssg ssx? Or whatever its called.  Even though it was definately a mk23 of unknown brand... was kinda funny. 

If your gonna drool over youtube advertising at least be able to recognise the gear in person.  But i guess thats how he lines his pockets

Teammates always ask me to try my ssx and if it's worth.

The answer is always:

Yes you can try it, no it's not worth it.

I'm still thinking of a decent response to KM that doesn't involve insults.

21 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Aaand I've just unsubbed from the otherwise excellent Bad Influence Airsoft because he posted a clickbait CHEETAR video.

You don't need to adduce statistical evidence that showcasing being a Dark Knight Punishertm normalises and promotes that behaviour in others.

One of his vids popped up on my feed and I initially thought it was a Licking Turd video.  Shame.

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

Teammates always ask me to try my ssx and if it's worth.

The answer is always:

Yes you can try it, no it's not worth it.

I'm still thinking of a decent response to KM that doesn't involve insults.

Don't bother.  The trouble with arguing with idiots is they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Or alternatively (and in bad taste) arguing on the internet is like the Paralympics, even if you win you are still........

I just automatically report his videos now when they somehow creep into my YT feed.

53 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Played at Edinburgh airsoft on sunday and they don't allow recording if people are going to clip their videos to make them look amazing or just put cheaters up. Obviously hard to prove etc but interesting that they try to mandate that at the brief.

50 minutes ago, Musica said:

Played at Edinburgh airsoft on sunday and they don't allow recording if people are going to clip their videos to make them look amazing or just put cheaters up. Obviously hard to prove etc but interesting that they try to mandate that at the brief.

There is an argument to be made that videoing someone without their permission then posting it online shouldn't be allowed.  Perhaps express permissions should (not) be included in the waivers that everyone signs when they go to play?  @Rogerborg - your legal knowledge is better than mine, thoughts?

15 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

There is an argument to be made that videoing someone without their permission then posting it online shouldn't be allowed.  Perhaps express permissions should (not) be included in the waivers that everyone signs when they go to play?  @Rogerborg - your legal knowledge is better than mine, thoughts?

Interestingly in the brief they asked if anyone had a problem being on video or photographs. No one objected.

3 minutes ago, Musica said:

Interestingly in the brief they asked if anyone had a problem being on video or photographs. No one objected.

When I go to Gunman games I usually ask not to be photographed as I am serving military.  Not cos I do a super secret squirrel job but cos I don't want the piss ripped LOL.

Thats one of the few sites that I have heard that actively mention it.

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Photography & videos have legal implications but are not widely understood 

A blanket waiver giving permission would not help - but including information in the waiver that photography may take place is a start (though may not be read) and a mention in briefs etc

They give the option for individuals to object - for piss taking defences, just because you don’t want it, or you may have protection issues.

Legally I can take your photo in a public place, I can publish it online (social media, general internet etc), I can sell the photo - but I cannot make “commercial use” of the photo without your permission.  (If you sign off permission then I can use it commercially in many ways that you may not have thought of)

A site is a private place rather than a public place, so I need some form of permission to take photos - I could just take photos unless I’m told not to, I could be representing the site, I could be official/recognised media, I could be just some bloke taking photos of a fun day out 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

@Rogerborg - your legal knowledge is better than mine, thoughts?

Eh, I just LARP this stuff online based on reading statute and case law for giggles, I don't even do it as a part of my day job any more.

My understanding is that absent eliciting information about members of armed forces, police officers or the intelligence services which is likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism, privacy is a civil matter cobbled together from the Human Rights Act 1988 (which only applies to public bodies) and prior and subsequent common (judge-made) law which has been influenced by the HRA and ECHR.  The cases that turn up are mostly cause célèbres rather than Joe Public.  Despite many broken promises, privacy expectations between private individuals hasn't been codified in statute law yet.

tl;dr version - you won't know if you have a case unless and until you get it before a court.

One thing I would mention is that the distinction between public and private places is also blurred.  Any place to which the public enjoy a general right of access can be considered public.  In Scotchland in particular, with right to roam, this makes pretty much every outdoors airsoft site a public place, in which you should have no expectation of privacy.

26 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Photography & videos have legal implications but are not widely understood 

A blanket waiver giving permission would not help - but including information in the waiver that photography may take place is a start (though may not be read) and a mention in briefs etc

They give the option for individuals to object - for piss taking defences, just because you don’t want it, or you may have protection issues.

Legally I can take your photo in a public place, I can publish it online (social media, general internet etc), I can sell the photo - but I cannot make “commercial use” of the photo without your permission.  (If you sign off permission then I can use it commercially in many ways that you may not have thought of)

A site is a private place rather than a public place, so I need some form of permission to take photos - I could just take photos unless I’m told not to, I could be representing the site, I could be official/recognised media, I could be just some bloke taking photos of a fun day out 

So Licking Dogturd posting your image in a video on YT without first seeking your permission could be seen as making a commercial use of it?  Like Rogerborg said all theory till before a court but might be a way to get his videos pulled down by YT.

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

So Licking Dogturd posting your image in a video on YT without first seeking your permission could be seen as making a commercial use of it?  Like Rogerborg said all theory till before a court but might be a way to get his videos pulled down by YT.

From my experience, as an image, then the sale of the image isn’t commercial, but the use of one of my images in advertising would be (and I received some nice compensation for a copyright breach which did so!)

(I can sell an image containing you, if it is on the basis that the sale is my ‘artwork’ taken from my camera)

Commercial use means that the imageis used directly in the marketing and promotion of a product that results in monetary gain.

YouTube however can include monetarisation ..... With a quick google, this is a result dating to 2017:

Good question, and one which YouTube does not answer. Paragraph 4.D. and 4.E. describes a few examples of what do and do not constitute "commercial uses." ... It's okay to embed a YouTube video on a website with advertising, but only if your "primary purpose" in posting the video isn't to gain advertising revenue.

With monetarisation being based on YouTubes advertisers then would consider a content providers click bait headline to be primarily based on more clicks and more advertising revenue

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.