What do you look for in an airsoft blog/channel?

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just asking for your opinion, I'm not planning to make a blog or create an airsoft YouTube channel of any kind, honestly can't be arsed to record and edit gameplay or even buy cameras to do so.

I often take my gopro with me but most of the times I leave it in the car, and the few times I actually record something it's mostly me cursing at thorns stuck in my butt..

What do you look for?

I personally like genuine, unedited gameplay, with some commentary here and there to explain what happens, longish videos (15+ minutes). Obviously no clickbait titles, no insane scopecam headshot montages unless it a sniper video, but then the overlayed reticle has to be minimal, just a very light and thin cross on the full rectangular picture, not those circle shits we see nowadays..

I don't mind guns/gear reviews if they are well done, with proper explanations on key parts, breakdowns, showing what the internals of a gun look like when new and used. Proper chrono and range test with different bb weights. EpicAirsoftHD style, he used to put guns in a vice to remove any operator error.

Loadout videos would be appreciated if the authors took their time to explain why that pouch is there, what real purpose it serves and some tips/tricks they found out over the years. Especially on sniper kits, showing off a beautifully crafted leaf suit is cool and all, but then a "how to" process is nowhere to be seen. Also chest rigs/belts are rarely well shown, most of them are a bunch of random pouches thrown in without a reasoning process behind. Some good ones are the Amped Airsoft kit videos for Milsim West, detailed explanations of why a particular thing is there.

A good blog imo should look like this: https://stipsniper.com/

Your thoughts?

For me......

Well thought out and balanced reviews. No UKAC style "I just bought this £30 pistol from Jbbgnus4less and it is the best sidearm ever" from someone who has been playing for 2 weeks.......

Tied into the above........ impartial reviews of kit and sites. If you're saying good things about product/site X back it up, conversely if saying negative things the same applies (incidently slamming a site cos they refuse to worship the ground you walk on despite you being an 'airsoft celeb' really not cool). 

When reviewing kit/guns say what you're comparing it against and try to do like for like. Obviously a Haley D3CR is ALWAYS going to beat a TMC one on everything apart from price. I for example would love to see an unbiased like for like Bolt Recoil Vs TM Recoil review that goes into more than "teh Bolt is cheaper and betterer bcos all tm fanbois are wrong".

Gameplay videos, I could not care less, especially with clickbaity "OMG airsoft cheaterz get pwned" type titles. 

Loadout videos..... you do you, personally I honestly couldn't care if someones wearing last seasons SEAL kit or this seasons. That said if you ARE going to do a "definitive how to do Loadout Y" make sure your information is correct. I've lost count of the num,ber of times I've seen BHD loadouts in the wrong camo, using helmets from 10 years in the future etc....

18 minutes ago, Skara said:

genuine, unedited gameplay

This is a balance I find hard to strike if I put up me walking back to spawn, standing waiting for a medic in a dark room alone then it's not worth anything. I also don't just want a kill feed or a cheater scene etc. I was actually tempted to edit cheaters out of my videos totally to try not to show the hobby in a bad light but I feel as long as I don't highlight it then it's a more true representation of what that day or game was like.

21 minutes ago, Skara said:

overlayed reticle

This is done in the edit and often they give people a false sense of accuracy by putting the reticle where the bb is going to hit so that they look like a cracking shot and their gun shoots exactly where they want it to every time.

I love gun and gear review videos done well but it's too hard to tell the people trying to sell you things from the people just honestly reviewing gear and kit they have used.

30 minutes ago, Musica said:

This is a balance I find hard to strike if I put up me walking back to spawn, standing waiting for a medic in a dark room alone then it's not worth anything. I also don't just want a kill feed or a cheater scene etc. I was actually tempted to edit cheaters out of my videos totally to try not to show the hobby in a bad light but I feel as long as I don't highlight it then it's a more true representation of what that day or game was like.

By "unedited" I mean cutting out the part in which you wait for 10 minutes to get medic'd back in or a walk to regen, but I'd like to see more scenes of what revolves around the bb slinging part, idk, gearing up, some banter, missing the opponent, looking for a good position to set up an ambush, that kind of stuff.

Won't give you big views, but imo it would be a more immersive experience.

Cheater videos ruined airsoft and only fueled hate towards some "celebs". Amped Airsoft's old videos on MW were good because they showcased the whole milsim experience, not the engagements only.

This is done in the edit and often they give people a false sense of accuracy by putting the reticle where the bb is going to hit so that they look like a cracking shot and their gun shoots exactly where they want it to every time.

Makes sense, but most of the times the screen is just black with a tiny ass hole in which it gets really hard to see where the bb is going and all that. Remove the black part and it's fixed. No BF/COD style hit markers, they're just lame and we already discussed them in another thread.

I love gun and gear review videos done well but it's too hard to tell the people trying to sell you things from the people just honestly reviewing gear and kit they have used.

49 minutes ago, hunter511 said:

Loadout videos..... you do you, personally I honestly couldn't care if someones wearing last seasons SEAL kit or this seasons. That said if you ARE going to do a "definitive how to do Loadout Y" make sure your information is correct. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen BHD loadouts in the wrong camo, using helmets from 10 years in the future etc....

I check LO videos quite regularly for new ideas, recently I've gone through every corner of the internet to find a decent belt loadout video/article, as I was in the process of building my new sniper kit. Couldn't find a single one worth watching/reading.

Nobody who explained WHY he did that or bought this.

Also most of the videos/articles have been made by either 13yo kids who just started playing or by retailers who need/want to sell their products (Novritsch & friends are included in this category).

4 minutes ago, Skara said:

I check LO videos quite regularly for new ideas, recently I've gone through every corner of the internet to find a decent belt loadout video/article, as I was in the process of building my new sniper kit. Couldn't find a single one worth watching/reading.

Nobody who explained WHY he did that or bought this. 

Also most of the videos/articles have been made by either 13yo kids who just started playing or by retailers who need/want to sell their products (Novritsch & friends are included in this category).

Easiest way to get people to tell you what's what is to say you purchased one thing and you will get a list of why you are wrong and what you should of done  🤣.

We all seem to hate hit markers but everyone big adds them so it must be the average viewer likes them.

• Supporters

when it comes to gameplay while i've watched the usual suspects there's always elements of stuff that's not ideal, like the ever pervasive battlefield hit markers or clickbaity cheaters/fights/player justice stuff. i've seen a couple of gameplay vids from sites where i've been playing, and it's kinda dull compared to the actual gameplay, or maybe i'm just having more fun than the cameraman.

for reviews i've a few things:

1. review more than just wether or not it's ambidextrous, also i can see the rails, no need to point that out....

2. show takedown, show internals, highlight which key parts are proprietory and which ones are standard.

3. if you're going to do an accuracy test do it at longer than 10 feet indoors using .2's, if i gun can't hit a man sized target at that distance then it's useless.

4. gas effeciency is more than 10 shots in a nice air conditioned interior

5. if somethings bad say it's bad, even suggest ways it could be upgraded to improve it.

not so much airsoft, but gun related is i tend to like inrange tv's philosophy on reviews where you really need to be using the thing for a few months before you can really make a call on how good or not it is, for example i intend on expanding my makarov reviews section some time but i haven't used the kwc enough to give it a fair shout.

52 minutes ago, Musica said:

Easiest way to get people to tell you what's what is to say you purchased one thing and you will get a list of why you are wrong and what you should of done  🤣.

Help me understand it if I got it wrong.

So, let's say I post a loadout article/video in which I explain why I have come up with what I've come up with (lmao), I get a list in the comments of things I've done wrong. Is it the meaning of your post?

If so, I'd say it's a good thing, as it opens up for discussions and someone may see something I couldn't and vice versa.

Unless of course people type shit like "duh should of pickt X brand cuz Y person haz it reeeee", in that case they can die in a fire, with Y person and X brand. And their pet turtle.

50 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

when it comes to gameplay while i've watched the usual suspects there's always elements of stuff that's not ideal, like the ever pervasive battlefield hit markers or clickbaity cheaters/fights/player justice stuff. i've seen a couple of gameplay vids from sites where i've been playing, and it's kinda dull compared to the actual gameplay, or maybe i'm just having more fun than the cameraman.

for reviews i've a few things:

1. review more than just wether or not it's ambidextrous, also i can see the rails, no need to point that out....

2. show takedown, show internals, highlight which key parts are proprietory and which ones are standard.

3. if you're going to do an accuracy test do it at longer than 10 feet indoors using .2's, if i gun can't hit a man sized target at that distance then it's useless.

4. gas effeciency is more than 10 shots in a nice air conditioned interior

5. if somethings bad say it's bad, even suggest ways it could be upgraded to improve it.

not so much airsoft, but gun related is i tend to like inrange tv's philosophy on reviews where you really need to be using the thing for a few months before you can really make a call on how good or not it is, for example i intend on expanding my makarov reviews section some time but i haven't used the kwc enough to give it a fair shout.

This is what I mean about gun reviews, 90% of them are just unboxings with a quick and useless chrono/accuracy test.

You get the big views if it's something relatively new or popular, but is it quality content?

5 minutes ago, Skara said:

Help me understand it if I got it wrong.

So, let's say I post a loadout article/video in which I explain why I have come up with what I've come up with (lmao), I get a list in the comments of things I've done wrong. Is it the meaning of your post?

If so, I'd say it's a good thing, as it opens up for discussions and someone may see something I couldn't and vice versa.

Unless of course people type shit like "duh should of pickt X brand cuz Y person haz it reeeee", in that case they can die in a fire, with Y person and X brand. And their pet turtle.

You can get constructive people helping by pointing out things like ah well actually product x doesn't have that issue because of y. But usually it's full on keyboard warriors trying to justify their own gear and tearing everyone else's down.

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, Skara said:

This is what I mean about gun reviews, 90% of them are just unboxings with a quick and useless chrono/accuracy test.

You get the big views if it's something relatively new or popular, but is it quality content?

not really, unboxings have their place, and knowing something new and shiny exists can be very useful, but in terms of an actual review i'd preferr someone who's actually used it to be talking.

perfect example- find me a g&g f2000 review that tells you about the blister you'll get on your thumb knuckle if you aren't wearing gloves.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

perfect example- find me a g&g f2000 review that tells you about the blister you'll get on your thumb knuckle if you aren't wearing gloves.

Or how the TM Aug HC's fire select is the sharpest thing in existence. It cut me in one day of mucking about with it, so it got the file. Nice and rounded now, but idk why it's so sharp in the first place. 

I was actually thinking of doing reviews myself eventually. I'm in a unique position where I can probably get ahold of many different guns to test, and I'll be the one doing tech work on them too, but it won't be for at least a year since airsoft is so new to me and my business. It's something that needs to grow. But I have an idea of the general format:

- Unbox + overview

- specs with internals

- breakdown/ease of use for tech work

- how it shoots out of the box. FPS/RPS etc.

- use on a gameday with longer range testing

- conclusion

The only thing I can't do is use after a long time, and full destruction tests since I'd probably still have to resell the gun as used. 

I'm glad to see other people share the concern of lack of comprehensive reviews out there, as it's what got me to start thinking about this. 

EDIT: I totally forgot what I was originally going to say. For content I like House Gamers if you can get passed the titles of his videos. Just seems like a guy who enjoys airsoft. And Negative Airsoft for the scathing criticisms of guns from a tech's point of view. 

On this subject if people could check out my channel that would be great! always nice to get genuine feedback from fellow players!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuc9dbH7xavuomNsOtczig?view_as=subscriber

dont expect any likes or subs, but feedback would be great for the edit side, game play side i just film how i play lol...

Some of my favourite Airsoft videos were by Last Stand Gamers who did great, all paced videos of gameplay at Anzio Camp. He's an interesting one to watch as he used a variety of weapon platforms that aren't just another M4 and his regular primary was actually a GBBR AK which isn't very common for a UK YouTuber. Unfortunately he only does Space Engineers gameplay now but there's still good stuff in his library.y other favourite is Brain Exploder, less for the actual gameplay and more for how he's constantly improving his gear and thinking about where the technology can go with his true 1st person cam. 

As soon as I see sponsored by or paid partnership Ive automatically lost interest. I did hear a rumour that a certain blogger charges around £450 for a review of a single product, now I find it very hard to believe someone can 100% be subjective/unbiased when they are being paid for the review.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Skara said:

If you're very lucky you'll get chrono and shooting.

On that, I do enjoy Bad Influence Airsoft reviews.  No nonsense, just bangs straight in to the stuff that  you'll care about.  Often amusing along the way, but never as an aim in itself.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

As soon as I see sponsored by or paid partnership Ive automatically lost interest. I did hear a rumour that a certain blogger charges around £450 for a review of a single product, now I find it very hard to believe someone can 100% be subjective/unbiased when they are being paid for the review.

@clumpyedge

I would suggest that anyone who charges £450 for a review and then says anything negative about the product won't see a great deal of repeat business.

Especially given that I can't think of a single airsoft product that I could describe as 100% flawless.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

That's sad to hear. Although it is just a rumor, I wouldn't be surprised if someone charged for reviews, given the huge amount of super biased reviews you find online.

Just take a look at what happened with the SSP1.. Everybody jerking off at Nov's new toy, riding the hype train from the SSG24 (which, price apart, is a good gun) and then the masses ended up with a non functioning pistol in their hands. Kinda the same happened with the ssx, although this time I saw/read way more critiques than with the ssp and people were prepared to deal with issues.

33 minutes ago, hunter511 said:

@clumpyedge

I would suggest that anyone who charges £450 for a review and then says anything negative about the product won't see a great deal of repeat business.

Especially given that I can't think of a single airsoft product that I could describe as 100% flawless.

32 minutes ago, Skara said:

That's sad to hear. Although it is just a rumor, I wouldn't be surprised if someone charged for reviews, given the huge amount of super biased reviews you find online.

Just take a look at what happened with the SSP1.. Everybody jerking off at Nov's new toy, riding the hype train from the SSG24 (which, price apart, is a good gun) and then the masses ended up with a non functioning pistol in their hands. Kinda the same happened with the ssx, although this time I saw/read way more critiques than with the ssp and people were prepared to deal with issues.

Whether it is true or not about the charge for a review the only reviews I trust are people that have a proven track record and aren't affiliated with any brand/shop

26 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Whether it is true or not about the charge for a review the only reviews I trust are people that have a proven track record and aren't affiliated with any brand/shop

Actually lost faith in online reviews when I bought the Helikon TMR.

The only review I could find was from an italian airsoft channel in which the guy said: yeah... it's a small rig... has M4 open top pouches... it's very small... for around 6 minutes without showing a single feature of the rig. basically bought it blind and got lucky, as it is an awesome rig. But there was a serious chance of me throwing €100 in the bin. Now, on a side note, I'll probably update the review I posted in here, I've had it for a while now.

I do agree with you, reviews from people affiliated to shops/brands aren't reliable.

• Supporters

YouTube ad money has gone waaaaay down, how d'ya reckon full-time social media people keep the lights on?  Charging for their promotions of stuff, it's not a rumour believe me.  Airsoft is small fry, big guns channels in the states charge thousands for 'reviews' then ask you for Patreon; the price list for IV8888 is floating around out there somewhere, used to be anyway, all of them are at it.  Subscribe to a bunch of them you'll see reviews for speicfic guns and Olight all weirdly publishing on the same day at almost the exact same time.

5 hours ago, C4milz Airsoft UK said:

On this subject if people could check out my channel that would be great! always nice to get genuine feedback from fellow players!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuc9dbH7xavuomNsOtczig?view_as=subscriber

dont expect any likes or subs, but feedback would be great for the edit side, game play side i just film how i play lol...

dont us someone else thread to post jeeez

What do I look for? 

Nothing.

I honestly don’t care for watching Airsoft, I prefer playing :D

I don’t use YouTube other than an instruction video on the odd occasion.. but then I’m not really of that ‘millennial’ mindset

well tbh i didnt mean to butt in, but it is rather on topic isnt it? for instance you lot are saying what you look for in a channel, if i give an example if you want to look go for it, im not exactly mashing your face onto the keyboard telling you to "watch like & subscribe" am i lol

really pisses me off when they are reviewing a rig or something and they don't even fucking wear it! show me how easy or hard it is to get the fucker on and what it looks like how it sits.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.