Best way to deal with a blind man?

Musica
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've seen a few people take their eye protection off at my field. I don't want to shout the whole site down but also I don't want these idiots getting their eyes shot out. I read some fields actually have a call out for it called blind man. 

I have just been telling them if a Marshall sees them they will probably get kicked off and I point them towards the safe zone. I am not usually one to poke in to other peoples business but I think pretending I didn't see it would be a mistake as the next guy to see him might fire etc.  How do you guys deal with it as players  and marshals? 

7 minutes ago, Musica said:

I've seen a few people take their eye protection off at my field. I don't want to shout the whole site down but also I don't want these idiots getting their eyes shot out. I read some fields actually have a call out for it called blind man. 

I have just been telling them if a Marshall sees them they will probably get kicked off and I point them towards the safe zone. I am not usually one to poke in to other peoples business but I think pretending I didn't see it would be a mistake as the next guy to see him might fire etc.  How do you guys deal with it as players  and marshals? 

Unless you know the sites code is ‘blind man’ and all the players know what that means then I don’t see how useful that is - shouting it would inform marshals for them to act, but it depends on their immediate action, is it to blow whistles and stop play etc if not able to immediately get the eye pro back on the face???

My immediate action drill is to get in the players face, (block the possibility of incoming fire) shouting if I’m more than a couple of feet away and getting my whistle in my mouth 

It’s a major safety breach.  If nothing else can be done then shout goggles

goggles goggles or eye pro eye pro eye pro 

If not back on in the next second then as a minimum localised game play needs to be stopped

• Supporters

The dilemma: if you save them from injury you hurt their feelings by reminding them of being forgetful / their eye gets shot.

Don't be afraid to hurt their feelings, you are doing the right thing by shouting eye pro to get them safe as soon as possible. If there is a firefight around then throw yourself in his face too as Tommikka said.

Oh god I can just see the rage in the Scottish eyes when some English Twat is in their face yelling at them 😭 The hero they need. 

6e2a3ea814e1e1c624353aea8518c192.jpg

I think I will raise it at my safety brief as it's genuinely discouraged to run up yelling at people specifically they have mentioned not to do so if you see someone blind firing (you are to tell a marshal not ignore it). 

• Supporters

kinda wish blind man or some similar shout was more standardised for this.

had a rental pull his mask in front of me mid game, rushed over and got my hand over his eyes shouting at him to put the mask back on.

was kind of ridiculous just how many hits i got making that run, and while standing next to the kid, would have been nice to have had something to shout to get folk to stop shooting.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

kinda wish blind man or some similar shout was more standardised for this.

had a rental pull his mask in front of me mid game, rushed over and got my hand over his eyes shouting at him to put the mask back on.

was kind of ridiculous just how many hits i got making that run, and while standing next to the kid, would have been nice to have had something to shout to get folk to stop shooting.

At first I read this like you John Wicked your way over there taking out all the threats with 1 hand while matrixing the bbs away from his eyes with the other. Then I realised you were the deer in the headlights. 

f2e.jpg_large

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

....was kind of ridiculous just how many hits i got making that run, and while standing next to the kid, would have been nice to have had something to shout to get folk to stop shooting.

Couldn't you just raise your arm to show you were out of play?

A worthy sacrifice nevertheless

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Couldn't you just raise your arm to show you were out of play?

A worthy sacrifice nevertheless

Could have, didnt care about me getting hit, i was respawning when it happened anyway, was just more concerned that folk were shooting when it was bloody obvious someone had their mask up.

Same thing happened when a fight near broke out and i went to try calm things down, just went back to my spot after and resumed play.

• Supporters

So, this one time, at Depot Camp, I saw a rental get fragments through his mesh, and he instinctively lifted it to rub his eyes, as you do.  This happened square in the middle of active ball slinging, and right next to a marshal, who failed to notice until some hero (I wasn't wearing my cape) yelling "Eye-pro! EYE-PRO, FOR RADIO-EDIT'S SAKE!" finally got through to him.

Players aren't supposed to call a cease-fire, but I think it is worth asking what exactly we're meant to do in that situation.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Players aren't supposed to call a cease-fire, but I think it is worth asking what exactly we're meant to do in that situation.

It's like anything in life, if you can justify it, do it. If you're gonna save someone's eyesight, no matter how wasted it might be on someone absent minded enough to remove their eye pro in the middle of BB warz, it's justifiable.

You scream it loud enough everyone is gonna think you're a marshall anyway!

If someone removes there eye protection, then maybe after the game the punishment should be a shot from a bolt action at two feet away, with everyone watching? Hoping they would learn the lesson or am I too harsh? I’d rather suffer that and have everyone laugh at me than potentially losing my eye sight.

You should not for a single damn second worry about stopping everyone playing pretend soldier for the sake of someone's eyesight. What moronic bunch of marshalls would question a player calling "ceasefire" over someone's safety? 

Shout the whole site down, you could be saving someone from permanent injury. 

Actually it's probably a great way to get them to put their eyepro back on. Make everyone stop because they took their eyepro off, hopefully if they did it for a dumb reason they'd feel guilty enough that it became a big deal (as it should be imo). If there's a serious enough reason to remove eyepro in the middle of a game then a ceasefire should go into effect anyway.

We have a strict rule over eyepro: put them on when you leave the car, take them off when you enter the car.

If someone, for some reason, needs to take off his eyepro, he has to take himself out of the game. (just a reminder, our games last 15 minutes tops, so you don't lose much). This way we ensure the smallest chance of injury possible and so far it has worked great.

Last Sunday tho, I had to yell at the club we invited a lot, as some elements kept taking their eyepro off mid game to clean them.

It's common sense really, people should not be reminded of such a basic rule.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Dino said:

If someone removes there eye protection, then maybe after the game the punishment should be a shot from a bolt action at two feet away, with everyone watching? Hoping they would learn the lesson or am I too harsh? I’d rather suffer that and have everyone laugh at me than potentially losing my eye sight.

why not just give them a punch in the face and then have everyone laugh at them?  since we're dishing out corporal punishment mixed with public humiliation.

This is something I love about Combat South. They cover in the safety brief not only to shout blind man but how marshals will communicate this across the field (3 long whistle blasts) and what everyone else must do if it's called (mag out, clear your gun, lean it against a tree and take a few places back until the game is resumed). In all the times I've played there it's only been called once but everyone new what to do and did very little to interrupt the flow of the game. It's an excellent, well communicated system that manages to make the whole field immediately safe.

Archived