ebay nonsense

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys. just had some airsoft parts removed from ebay. nothing functioning, just accessories.

anyway rang them up and asked why, i have just been told that no airsoft parts can be listed on ebay.co.uk only on ebay.com.  that cant be right surely?

9 minutes ago, mimozine said:

hey guys. just had some airsoft parts removed from ebay. nothing functioning, just accessories.

anyway rang them up and asked why, i have just been told that no airsoft parts can be listed on ebay.co.uk only on ebay.com.  that cant be right surely?

Are you asking whether the interpretation of the rule is right, or whether it is right/wrong for them to be able to have restrictions in a particular country.

It’s their service and their rules.

Depending on the parts (and also how you list them) they do restrict airsoft guns and particular parts 

You will however see airsoft guns on eBay which may or may not complete.  This depends on wording and whether it gets reported / detected

As above, I bought an AK47 bayonet from a Seller on eBay. He was in the UK but I couldn't buy it due to the rules. But he could sell them on the .com to a wider audience but as he was located in the UK and I was I could still not buy it. (I bought it privately to circumvent the block). They have some funny rules.

Also worth noting your rights are governed by your country. My brother had an issue with a USA seller. Both were right in accordance to their countries eBay rules. But my brother as the Buyer found his rules trumped the Seller via the buyer protection which was lacking in the USA rules. SO a Seller in another country may say no (rightfully) but if your countries Buyer eBay rules say yes you win overall.

Also some items get pulled because another Seller doesn't like the competition so they report you to keep their listing as the only option.

Wording is also key as mentioned above and a disclaimer may help stating what it is and what it can or can't be used for.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, mimozine said:

just accessories.

What accessories?  I've bought plenty of airsoft stuff via ebay.co.uk, listed as airsoft, including suppressors which you imagine they might get in a flap about given how even the Septics seem to think they're Devil's dongs.

eBay have been tightening the noose for the past 3 years.  At first it started off with works like "M4" and "AK", fast forward 3 years and now it's keywords such as "trigger", "silencer",  "barrel" and "grip".  As a subscription seller (£25 monthly fee)  you firstly get a warning, then you get a 3 day new or edit listing ban, then you get a 30 new or edit listing ban.  I've spent hours trying to argue that they are not firearm accessories but they never budge.  Not all listings get caught, they are pretty guarded over how their detection algorithm works.  You normally end up chatting to some Indian guy when you use their chat function to complain.  If you phone up you generally get someone in Ireland.

Last 30 day ban I had I kicked up an almighty fuss and threatened to move to Amazon, I'm sure that would have rocked the eBay share price lol...but in the end they reduced me back down to 3 day ban.  I'm slowly removing gear on eBay, had enough, I think a lot of others are doing the same.  

I'll dig out their Firearms rules page later...

• Supporters

Thanks, and that's about what I'd expect.  It is surprising that they don't seem to have declared "suppressor" to be a killing word, but I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually.

It's weird there's no real pattern to it all.  Quite a few of the eBay retailers have been hit.  I've been slowly moving away from it, posting up less and less but some suppliers rely on it heavily.  I guess eBay are just covering their ass. The real problem I've found over the past 5 years of being on there is that there is no real competitor to eBay out there and that's a sad thing to see.  Amazon had potential but it's expensive

I very rarely  buy anything airsoft related from eBay or Amazon, generally direct from retailers or airsoft selling sites.

I noticed eBay rules do say no weapon parts, including airsoft, at all

As eBay have the monopoly on the lower end marketplace they invariably do what they want.  Only last week they changed the GUI / frontend to the business sellers page, without telling anyone.  It changed to way everyone had to work, made it harder for the customer etc.  The eBay forums lit up like a christmas tree - revolution was in the air, accept no where to migrate to lol

well im even more confused now, even though i got got an email and a message on ebay saying my irem had been removed, and the person i talked to in india said it could not be listed the item i was selling is still listed?

they really dont have a clue do they

2 minutes ago, mimozine said:

well im even more confused now, even though i got got an email and a message on ebay saying my irem had been removed, and the person i talked to in india said it could not be listed the item i was selling is still listed?

they really dont have a clue do they

Is it fully listed & active?

Whats the item number ?

(Perhaps it was flagged as opposed to de-listed)

29 minutes ago, mimozine said:

yeah its fully active, they said i was on a 3 day susspension aswell, and i can still revise listings?

just hope they dont think i have relisted it! that would put me in the shit lol

You can't revise, you can only cancel I think

3 days - pah nothing I just got handed a 30 day this morning lol

Here's the current policy:

What is the policy?
The following are not allowed:

- Firearms of any type 
- Parts and accessories for assault weapons, including blueprints and instructions
- Any part or accessory in violation of local law
- Firearm receivers, even if incomplete
- Ammunition for firearms, including bullets, cartridges, casings, shells, and hulls 
- The following firearm accessories are not allowed:
Gun parts, including, but not limited to, barrels, firing pins, trigger assemblies, and magazines

Firearm accessories that we allow, such as grips, holsters, and scopes, must follow these guidelines:

- The listing must clearly identify the part or accessory being sold as well as the type of firearm it fits (“type” can mean general use and not necessarily brand or manufacturer). For example, “This part can be used with bolt-action rifles."

- The listing cannot show a picture of an actual firearm

Listings that don’t follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller’s rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.

So today I got handed a 30 day ban for a foregrip listing that had been there already for 6 months or so, after I started a chat session with them and asked why, they said because it could be used on an Assault Rifle.  I explained how it couldn't, different sizes etc (I know bit of a fib) however their policy kind of contradicts itself.  Says "Parts and Accessory" for assault rifles are not allowed then says grips are allowed.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

however their policy kind of contradicts itself

Kind of?  Sounds like you've followed it to the letter.

Huh, ebay.co.uk only turns up 7 hits for "airsoft foregrip" - looks like they have been on a purge.

I had issues earlier this year trying to buy a loadbearing vest from mainland Europe. I raised the issue with eBay and they couldn't see why it wouldn't allow me to put through the purchase until it got handed to another assessor who cited that it could not be sold to UK residents as  it breached UK legislation in relation to the sale of knives... I kid you not. All this stemmed from the fact that one of the sleeves on it could accommodate a bayonet.

I challenged it and presented them with the legislation asking them for an explanation on how it actually breached said legislation and they couldn't tell me. In the end I gave up, talked to the seller directly who pointed me in the direction of their own website (wasn't listed in my Google searches due to their location based algorithms) and consequently picked it up that way. Saved me a few quid too so can't complain in the end.

Ebay does have some truly strange policies in place. I guess all the airsoft stuff being purged ties into the high profile shootings over the last few months in the states.

1 hour ago, mimozine said:

well i can revise listings so im clearly not on a 3 day ban either.

it seems to me all those rules are for firearms, not once have i seen the word airsoft in any of there rules?

see attached

FD40876C-4A2F-45E1-BFF2-4633FA8BE0A9.png

12 minutes ago, #blackadder said:

If you look on Ebay now all the suppliers have renamed their supressors as “barrel extensions”

That happened a couple of years ago, around same time as words such as m4 and ak became banned.  I even got banned for using M110 when selling springs cos m110 is also a firearm.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, #blackadder said:

If you look on Ebay now all the suppliers have renamed their supressors as “barrel extensions”

The curious thing is that they haven't, not all of them.

I still get 47 hits for "UK" sellers (aye, right) listing "airsoft silencer" and 24 for "airsoft suppressor".

Curiouser and curiouser: when I search for "airsoft suppressor" (but not for "airsoft silencer"), I get shown this item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223356610666 from some dodgy fly-by-night seller who's probably shipping from a child slave labour sweatshop in China[*].

Listed as "Big Dragon Airsoft Barrel Extension Short 110mm x 34mm (14mm CCW CW Black)".  The word "suppressor" appears only in the item specifics as "m4-suppressor", not in the title - and I didn't include the description in the search.

Might not be consistent, but if anyone is wanting to put Killing Words in their listings, the item specifics section could be the place to do it.

[*] ;)

Archived