What have you been watching - Film edition...

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, what's been getting your pennies recently?
Here are a few that I've seen in the last few weeks...

Rambo Last Blood - I had only seen the first one, so wasn't sure what to expect.
Devoid of character development, plot development or pretty much anything requiring a brain. Unbelievably violent in places. And utterly absent of violence where there really should have been a lot. At 1h30(ish) just the right length of time.
If you don't expect much, it's a thoroughly enjoyable revenge romp.
But Liam Neeson did it better.
Hereditary - What a load of total utter shite.
American Hangman - Enjoyable thriller.
Cold Pursuit - Really very strange, but enjoyable. Now I want to see the original.
Glass - Awesome film with a disappointing climax.
Inside Man Most Wanted - Excellent. Even my wife sat still, which is saying something.
The Nun - Pure unadulterated shite.
The Poison Rose - Disappointing, despite an excellent cast.
The Predator - Loved it. Because, you know, The Predator.
Us - Wank. Didn't bother finishing it.
Night Hunter - Very good, even if predictable.
Fate of the Furious - Ridiculous. But loved it anyway.
Anna - La Femme Nikita lite.

John Wick 3: Finally got around to watching this. It was... ok. The story was fine, but it had a Jump the Shark quality to many of the scenes. JW was always on the edge of believability but the horse chases and desert scenes just spoiled it. 

I did enjoy it for the most part though. I do like the idea of the Continental as an entity and glad they expanded on it.

Just not as good as the first one. 

I liked hereditary .And talking of it "the house that jack built". Same director gets a bit overly arty and symbolic at the end but the bulk of it is very dark, amusing and quite disturbing. 

49 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

John Wick 3: Finally got around to watching this. It was... ok. The story was fine, but it had a Jump the Shark quality to many of the scenes. JW was always on the edge of believability but the horse chases and desert scenes just spoiled it. 

I did enjoy it for the most part though. I do like the idea of the Continental as an entity and glad they expanded on it.

Just not as good as the first one. 

Yeah the second act was complete wank imo - The first and third were good to great, depending on what was happening.

I just don't get why they thought the African section was any good; the main fight was just quiet mundane, the same dog takedowns/IPSC style shooting that felt like it went on for way too long.

4 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Yeah the second act was complete wank imo - The first and third were good to great, depending on what was happening.

I just don't get why they thought the African section was any good; the main fight was just quiet mundane, the same dog takedowns/IPSC style shooting that felt like it went on for way too long.

I preferred JW2 to JW3. 

I forgot about the dogs! Ridiculous. 

John Wick 3 - A bit too over the top compared to previous films.  Seemed to have taken the shoot people in the face a bit too far, several people left the cinema during the Casablanca shootout.

Angel has fallen - Actually surprised, much better than previous films imo. 

Anna - I enjoyed this

Ad Astra - A bit disappointed tbh, wasn't the film I was expecting.  Can appreciate it for the film it is, but not something I'd watch again.  

I liked the JW3, not as good as the previous 2 but entertaining. I thought the dogs were novel. I liked the amusing body armour issue at the end, the ninja gang leader was comical. Very obvious a lot was blue/green screened. One thing that annoys me is that all this killing  happens blatantly in front of the public yet nobody ever reacts. I mean take the train station, JW knifes the bloke in front of loads of people and throws the body behind him whilst talking to the bald ninja - nobody reacts, I find that unrealistic. OK maybe the odd one could be so subtle to be ignored but there's so many public kills and no reaction. Not a single police response in any of the films!

Music was better in the first 2 films as well. Not so much in the 3rd. I thought it felt like someone else had directed the other 2.

Look's like there will be a 4th going by the ending, I hope they remove the comedy aspect and go back to grit.

EDIT: Major Dog fight scenes were over choreographed...

41 minutes ago, Immortal said:

One thing that annoys me is that all this killing  happens blatantly in front of the public yet nobody ever reacts. I mean take the train station, JW knifes the bloke in front of loads of people and throws the body behind him whilst talking to the bald ninja - nobody reacts, I find that unrealistic. OK maybe the odd one could be so subtle to be ignored but there's so many public kills and no reaction. Not a single police response in any of the films!

Like the shootout in the train station in JW2.  I know Cassian had that tiny suppressor on his pistol and John had a suppressed P-O9? But still, not exactly whisper quiet.  You'd still need ear pro.  No one batted an eyelid.  Most odd.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I forgot about the dogs! Ridiculous. 

Wot ?, Malinois rock, even if we're not talking about jw3, they are literally like canine John wicks 🐕

Films I've watched recently:

Braven (2018) - Good film - Organised crime, Cocaine cartel type film

Running with the Devil (2019) - Good film - Organised crime, Cocaine cartel type film

A Score to Settle (2019) - Average - Gangster revenge

Dark Phoenix (2019) - Entertaining/Average - just another Xmen film

The Dead Don't Die (2019) - Average - Bill Murray Zombie spoof film

Doom Annihilation (2019) - Average - Scifi horror

Glass (2019) - Good film - Links other films and characters from his previous movies. Scifi real world super heroes

Watching next: In the Shadow of the Moon (2019)

I really couldn't list all the films I watch, I'm the guy who goes through top 500 lists of films and finds that I've seen around 90% of them - including a lot of the foreign language films.  Currently considering a projector and 100" screen to go with it to link my media PC to - strangely it was the wife's idea!

A recent stand out though was Atomic Blonde - finally got round to watch it while in a hotel on business.  Surprisingly good film, a lot better than I was expecting.  One of the best hand to hand combat scenes I've seen in any move, done single camera in one very long take.  One of the rare exceptions that shows that some people in Hollywood do know how to shoot fight sequences (instead of changing cameras every millisecond).

Another good recent watch was Hidden Figures, highly recommended.

Really, really, really looking forward to Jay & Silent Bob Reboot!

Archived