Mayhem Paintball - Saturday evening/Night game

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m going to chuck a review up as I went last night to their evening game.

Mayhem Paintball has been around for a while, and as such does a lot of Paintball games, laser tag and birthday parties and has recently ventured into Airsoft! 

Site:

Romford Essex was close enough for me to have to visit and I was very surprised. I had actually been before for a kids party a year or so ago but hadn’t realised until I pulled in. It’s signposted from the road and pretty easy to find, even if my satnav did take me to the airfield next door :) 

lots of car parking spaces, worth noting you could park in the first car park and have a bit of a walk or keep going and get much closer to the entrance. But plenty of space for cars, gravel pathway so no muddy issues and free from obstructions.

the website didn’t mention much so I went with low expectations but was surprised. Safe zone was in the building, lots of space throughout (although as there were others using the site, Paintballers, birthday party etc) we were stuck in a room that was a little too cramped for everyone and gear but it was dry, warm and a lot better than 90% of other places. If it gets busier we will need a larger space as Airsofters take up waaay more room than paintballers it seems :D 

toilets were indoor affairs, porcelain and clean with running water. Seemed to be a couple around too so a big plus point.

Food:

tea and coffee station was available, all free. They told us halfway they order pizzas from dominoes for us at £11 for a large pizza, I didn’t know this and brought sandwiches and snacks with me.

there were vending machines too, chocolates and drinks etc

a little more information on this would be good and allow people to be more prepared.

shop:

Very well stocked shop with guns, ammo, and everything you could want to play.. 

If playing Paintball is what you do :( 

I spoke to them and they have no real desire to open an Airsoft specific shop as they are still a Paintball field but would consider Airsoft specific items in the future, bbs and basic essentials which would be nice.

No batteries though which was a shame as a few people needed some for tracers/torches etc

gamezones:

like most Paintball sites they have quite a few “fields” which are pretty small and geared towards Paintball style games but the fields we were in worked pretty well. 

We played 20 min games with unlimited respawns for the first 10 mins and then one life for the last, all games were flipped around so each team took a turn from each end. This worked surprisingly well and I had fun. The night games were a first to 50 kills style game and having lights on/off and dimmed added a nice dimension.

Special mention to the kill house, it would have been much better to have walls/rooms splitting the inside rather then the low barricades as neither team pushed out of their spawns as we could literally see and shoot each other’s spawns, but it was a very fun game.

good points:

well priced, £25 was a very fair price, as the site makes its money elsewhere it doesn’t need to charge Airsofters a premium for running water or covered toilets :D the rental package seemed good and they can pick up and drop off to local train stations too which is a lovely touch.

Low numbers which worked well, no more than 20 each team and some left early, if it got busier I don’t think. It would work as well.

No problems I saw or heard with play. Hits were taken and players were very friendly in the safe zone, I spoke with more people here than in any other site!

Quick games turn around, but plenty of breaks and time to reload, didn’t fee we were sitting around much.

Site amenities were almost perfect.

Bad points:

Someone had their go pro taken from in the safe zone room. Was a pretty low point to an otherwise good night. Even after this I didn’t feel my gear was not safe though as everyone seemed friendly enough. 

Shop would have been an issue for some, personally I tend not to buy anything at games, but some bbs, batteries and other basics would be nice.

Communication, I had a little look on the website but didn’t see much, being told about the food before hand and knowing the amenities would have been helpful.

Meh points:

Marshalling was neither great nor bad. A very hands off approach and was led by one adult and a few young guys who took us out on the field. While there were no issues for the marshals to deal with I think they lack Airsoft experience as one did say “they find Airsofters more honest than paintballers, and they are glad as they can’t often tell who had been hit and rely on the honesty of the players” I had no negative experience at all with the marshals but feel they could do with an experienced airsofter taking the lead.

safety brief was VERY brief. Whilst this is generally a good thing, there was hardly any rules or briefings explained other than the game rules. This worked on the night but if they had a group turn up who were not honest or unwilling to play properly it could cause issues or could lead to a lot of options for cheating in the future.

Games were very limiting, team death match, search and destroy, protect the vip and first to 50 kills were what was played. Would get very boring playing here regularly I feel.

Conclusion:

I had fun!!! Lots of fun, have never played a night game and it was great.

I wouldn’t make it a regular skirmish however as I prefer rolling games through a large site rather than short games in limited spaces.

I would go back for the evening games every few months and think a fair few people on here would like it too, I would certainly recommend the evening games and think the site would be great for newer players and make a nice change for experienced players.

Given some time and more experience has the potential to be a really good addition to Airsoft.

Looking forward to giving it a go myself. maybe next month. 

Wondering how different this is to Splatoon as they both seem very similar sites. 

12 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Looking forward to giving it a go myself. maybe next month. 

Wondering how different this is to Splatoon as they both seem very similar sites. 

Let me know when your thinking, I might pop along.

I heard about Splatoon from one of the guys there on Saturday, I will check that one out soon too.

26 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Let me know when your thinking, I might pop along.

I heard about Splatoon from one of the guys there on Saturday, I will check that one out soon too.

I was thinking of popping to Splatoon or Red 1 The School this Sunday. Though I have been invited out to the Outpost and Ultimate Wargames on Saturday. So the world is my oyster! 

On 30/09/2019 at 11:05, Asomodai said:

I was thinking of popping to Splatoon or Red 1 The School this Sunday. Though I have been invited out to the Outpost and Ultimate Wargames on Saturday. So the world is my oyster! 

Let me know if you're going to red1 I might be able to make it too. Plus I only live 15mins from site so if you need a lift for last part of journey if using public transport let me know. 

5 hours ago, Keldon said:

Let me know if you're going to red1 I might be able to make it too. Plus I only live 15mins from site so if you need a lift for last part of journey if using public transport let me know. 

Pmed mate 🙂

• 1 month later...

Went along this eve thought id write something up before i forget!

Review above is spot on really.

Good:

- 25 min drive for me

-  a non-weekday evening game is convient

- its a good site. Maybe too paintbally for some but i liked it and lots of work has been put in

- safe zone was cracking nice and cosy and toilets were nice too

Bad

- i dont have facebook so maybe i miss out but games were on 3-9 not 4-10 as mentioned 

- marshalls seemed very switched on but some pretty overt and ott full auto during a semi auto only very cqb game wasnt dealt with at all which led to everyone on my team (bar me, billy no mates) sacking it off. But some people switched sides and we had a good game.

- people took off eyepro too much for my liking + dry fire in the safezone just rubs me up the wrong way h&s aside.

2 weeks from now is the last evening game as its getting too dark and they will be doing game days instead. Hopefully they'll bring them back in the new year as im glad someone is filling the saturday night niche!

All my bad points are easily sorted and its still early days. 

• 2 months later...

Archived