Magnified optic with CQB rifle?

Fosty
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I plan on lowering my FPS to 320-350 but I also want a magnified optic.

Would a 4x optic be practical in that FPS range or should I go lower?

I’ve got three sights, 1st was a 4x ACOG clone, thought it was the dogs bollocks when I got it. 2nd was a 1x red dot I got thrown in a parts purchase, It immediately replaced the ACOG. 
Why?

At Airsoft engagement ranges I can see where the target is and where the bbs are going. A 1x sight works better as I can keep both eyes open, increasing awareness and peripheral vision when using the sight.

3rd Sight I got was a holographic, same principle, ACOG is still in the garage.

I have a hard time recognizing the enemy though, which is why I want to try something magnified. 
Brought a monocular with me but it was no good with my goggles on.

How about a variable optic? x1 - x6  Some nice repo's and real steel not very expensive either.  (Run a vortex strike eagle personally on my short barrelled 416 and it's great)

I play at a 1J limit and anything above 4x is not only overkill, but straight up useless.

1x sights like red dots and irons are perfect, you can keep both eyes open (in theory you can do the same with magnified optics too but it takes some time to get used to), for spotting only purposes a 4x magnified optic is more than enough.

LPVOs have been mentioned already, go for one of those, they can be had for cheap on eBay, do not buy a magnifier for dots because repros are terrible and the real ones are just too expensive for what you get.

• Supporters

I'm at 1j and run a 1-4 variable on my cqdmr m4. Theyre not as good as an open dot for up close and personal but theyre passable.

You dont need magnification to get a hit, but for target identification and being able to see the bb's are making their mark it sure does help.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Fosty said:

I have a hard time recognizing the enemy though, which is why I want to try something magnified. 
Brought a monocular with me but it was no good with my goggles on.

I'm in literally the exact same boat, have been for about 10 years.  I often run a 3 or 4x to ID people, also tried a monocular and no dice.  The optic is not so much to aim as simply instinctive shooting without any sight is fastest and works well with a little practice at airsoft ranges, but being able to have the magnification on the gun and accessible at a moments' notice gives me exactly what I need personally.  Variables are a good option too, but either one works.

• Supporters

Hi Fosty.  It depends what you mean by "CQB".   In the UK, CQB can mean gun-in-the-ribs literally point blank.  In that situation, it's not about target identification, it's about shooting first and apologising later.

In woodland here at sub 350fps, I run a G36 with a 2.5x  red dot optic on top of a 1" high open high riser like this:

1-High-13-slot-Hi-profile-Full-Size-Rise

Why?  Because the G36 iron sights look right through that riser, so I can use them at close range, or drop the gun down slightly and use the optic at longer ranges. 

2,5x is fine at those ranges.  I wouldn't go much higher.

At the field I went to it's outdoors with some buildings. Under 350fps you can fire point blank, 350-400 needs a 20ft engagement distance.

Ny gun was just over 350 so I'm going to drop it down a bit so I don't have to worry about that bang bang or surrender crap when I move through a building.

I ended purchasing that variable optic last night and also got some angled picatinny for a $15 red dot just in case I don't have time to adjust the zoom.

The 1-4 is nice but definitely needed the riser which is heavier than I expected.

The $15 red dot is a bit blurry and a bit hard to see when it's sunny, but I think it should do what I need it to.

Looks a bit bulky but doesn't feel to bad after some adjustments.

EDIT: Changed the mags to a side by side tape job with a plastic bottle cap to separate them.

20191003_152553.jpg

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Fosty said:

definitely needed the riser which is heavier than I expected

You could get away with a shorter riser on there, maybe even not as tall depending on your cheek weld.

I use the long, 1" open one above specifically on the G36 because its iron sights are low enough to peep through it - yours aren't.

6 hours ago, Fosty said:

the riser which is heavier than I expected.

Cut it in half.

You don't need a) that weight and b) that length.

2 minutes work with a hacksaw and a file/sandpaper, less if you have power tools..

Also move the dot/protection further back if you can, keeps the balance towards the back making it less tiring to hold the gun for longer periods 

Looks like you already have your variable scope but for anyone out there that also whats the same sort of thing, forum wide the main suggestion for a short dot is the vision king. Believe it is 1x5 magnification and depending on which retailer you get it from sometimes it comes with a replica Larue mount ;) (I found this to be the case a couple of years ago when I ordered a few from MLE mart)

2 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Looks like you already have your variable scope but for anyone out there that also whats the same sort of thing, forum wide the main suggestion for a short dot is the vision king. Believe it is 1x5 magnification and depending on which retailer you get it from sometimes it comes with a replica Larue mount ;) (I found this to be the case a couple of years ago when I ordered a few from MLE mart)

any links to the model that is recommended? Looking at getting one as a gift for a friend as he's mentioned wanting one. I searched the forum last night for magnified optics and seen it mentioned a few times. 

5 minutes ago, Musica said:

I'm a scope noob when people say "short dot" what does that mean? 

In basic terms its a mix of a telescopic sight and a red dot. Obviously some shot dots will use other reticles and some may use cross hairs like one of the links I posted but generally they are just a telescopic sight with a small magnification window.

Hopefully ive explained that well enough without someone more knowledgeable jumping on me.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Skara said:

Cut it in half.

You don't need a) that weight and b) that length.

2 minutes work with a hacksaw and a file/sandpaper, less if you have power tools..

Also move the dot/protection further back if you can, keeps the balance towards the back making it less tiring to hold the gun for longer periods 

i'd go one step further and remove the canted dot entirely and either go for a smaller dot stacked on top of the main optic or more likely just not bother (which is my current setup).

after all that's what the 1x version is for, and if they're real close you don't need to use the sights at all.

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd go one step further and remove the canted dot entirely and either go for a smaller dot stacked on top of the main optic or more likely just not bother (which is my current setup).

after all that's what the 1x version is for, and if they're real close you don't need to use the sights at all.

Fully agree with this, you can then keep your adjustable optic at a magnified adjustment while still being able to swap to x1 quickly.

I've just been doing some research, as I was concerned about shifting zero/breaking it on a GBBR, but I've stumbled across a YouTube video of someone using it on a .308 AR, with no issues. Impressive for the money. Might actually hold me off on buying the Vortex Crossfire...

21 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

I've just been doing some research, as I was concerned about shifting zero/breaking it on a GBBR, but I've stumbled across a YouTube video of someone using it on a .308 AR, with no issues. Impressive for the money. Might actually hold me off on buying the Vortex Crossfire...

They are very good, nowhere near a .308 but I used one on my friends 22 rimfire for ages with no issues at all, having said that I'd still probably opt for the Vortex just for the warranty 😂 and because they are a bit gucci.

Archived