Is it feasible to make your own eye protection

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Glasses under goggles fog.

Goggle lenses are made of polycarbonate. Goggles are a sealed fit around the face.

Polycarbonate can be bought, cut and bent around something.

Some cheap airsoft masks with mesh allow lots of air to circulate mainly from the base. 

I have been considering removing the mesh from such a mask, cutting a sheet of Lexan and bending it around the eye openings and securing it with small bolts. I know this might not be easy, but would it be impossible.

It probably wouldn't look good, but it might be effective.

What are the cons?  What haven't I considered that will make it impossible?   

• Supporters

Just to check, put plastic in place of the mesh and use the mesh goggle's frame?  What type of mask?

Personally on my plastic lensed goggles I take the foam out from around the edges = lots more air.  I do use fan goggles though which is an expensive 'cheat'.

Drilling the polycarb might cause strength issues and each drill hole will be imperceptibly different but possibly enough to leave a potential weakness, not something I'd trust my eyesight to.

13 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Drilling the polycarb might cause strength issues and each drill hole will be imperceptibly different but possibly enough to leave a potential weakness, not something I'd trust my eyesight to.

Perhaps bolting a rim onto the inside with some harder plastic, then sliding and even gluing the lens into place would work. 

I've tried everything bar fan goggles and the only things that don't fog are hero sharks

face pro, helmets and hot skin vs contrast in temperature on the other side of the lense always equals fogging and if you use soap etc to wipe the inside you may avoid the fogging but when you get hot then sweat runs down the lenses instead and distorts/ clings to the medium you coated the lenses with

V E N T I L A T I O N I S K E Y !

Will never shut up about it.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Skara said:

V E N T I L A T I O N I S K E Y !

Will never shut up about it.

Indeed it is, but not all fans goggles work, ive got both ESS and Revisions and still have the drizzle of doom at tmes...!!

note i have clean lenses, use fog sprays, no foam, thermal lens etc......they are not 100% perfect as you need to keep moving to allow the flow of air, . Remember, these 'googles' are not designed for Airsoft but for real life situations where you are generally putting them on in dusty / windy conditions etc, not sitting in a bush trying not to move somewhere!....otherwise you would wear glasses..... ;)

• Supporters

I don't really understand what you are planning. Mesh goggles with lens in front of the eyes?

Bending polycarbonate needs heat and that will screw the transparency. Bending it makes it varied in thickness, which will distort the view.

You can attach mesh to polycarbonate with glue gun.

Check out safety goggles. There are many types that allow you to wear glasses with them and they are fine for airsoft, they have CE 166F rating which has been tested with 600fps point blank shots.

This type for example has good airflow. ...ish.

fitoverlab_2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Samurai said:

I don't really understand what you are planning. Mesh goggles with lens in front of the eyes?

Bending polycarbonate needs heat and that will screw the transparency. Bending it makes it varied in thickness, which will distort the view.

You can attach mesh to polycarbonate with glue gun.

Check out safety goggles. There are many types that allow you to wear glasses with them and they are fine for airsoft, they have CE 166F rating which has been tested with 600fps point blank shots.

This type for example has good airflow. ...ish.

fitoverlab_2.jpg

Just make sure there are no gaps around where BBs can richochet up into ur eye.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, djben9 said:

Indeed it is, but not all fans goggles work, ive got both ESS and Revisions and still have the drizzle of doom at tmes...!!

note i have clean lenses, use fog sprays, no foam, thermal lens etc......they are not 100% perfect as you need to keep moving to allow the flow of air, . Remember, these 'googles' are not designed for Airsoft but for real life situations where you are generally putting them on in dusty / windy conditions etc, not sitting in a bush trying not to move somewhere!....otherwise you would wear glasses..... ;)

'Real' situations very often involve sitting in a bush (or equivalent), but fan goggles aren't specifically only for military purposes.  I've no doubt what you're saying is true for you, but in maybe 100 hours of wear I've had ESS Turbofans fog slightly for a short time maybe once or twice in the most sweaty and humid conditions, it all comes down to the individual.  

• Moderators

indeed its down to the individual, said that many times, what works for one wont work for another, i just get the drizzle of doom most times

the best anti fog wipe / solution ive come across though is fogtech......ive sat in a bush on a warm day with the revisions on, fan on full, hadn't removed the foam on them though, ans they worked fine :), guy next to me kept saying, 'there, can you hear it again?', that bee, where is it?'  :lol: :lol:................ i did eventually tell him it was the fan on the goggles!

• Supporters
On 28/09/2019 at 15:28, Samurai said:

CE 166F rating which has been tested with 600fps point blank shots

My understanding is that EN 166F is tested to 45m/s with a 0.86g 6mm steel BB.  That's only 0.87J.

EB 166B is tested to 120m/s with a 0.86g steel BB, or a whopping 6.17J (or about 2/3 of a Kicking Mustang point blank headshot).

However, only goggles can be rated as B (or higher). Individual lensed glasses cannot be rated higher than F.  That doesn't mean that they're not capable of taking a bigger hit, just that they can't be rated for it.

I may understand wrong, of course.  Your eyes, your research.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

My understanding is that EN 166F is tested to 45m/s with a 0.86g 6mm steel BB.  That's only 0.87J.

EB 166B is tested to 120m/s with a 0.86mm steel BB, or a whopping 6.17J (or about 2/3 of a Kicking Mustang point blank headshot).

However, only goggles can be rated as B (or higher). Individual lensed glasses cannot be rated higher than F.  That doesn't mean that they're not capable of taking a bigger hit, just that they can't be rated for it.

I may understand wrong, of course.  Your eyes, your research.

Those numbers sound about right, also there's stanag 2920 which is something stupid high (i have 30j in the back of my head).

Ultimately the only sure fire way to be sure is to give them a blast with the most powerful gun you can get your hands on, whilst most impacts will be nowhere near problematic all it takes is that one arsehole with a hot gun to ping you from a hedge and you could pay a hell of a penalty.

Archived