Opinion on new Sniper

XukeLho
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, a youtuber I follow just showed up a game with this new pre-upgraded sniper.

I'd like to know your opinions on it? Does it look to be any good or its just PR

https://www.sfcairsoft.com/product-page/upgraded-double-bell-vsr-10-real-wood

It is really worth the buy? Assuming the user understands nothing on upgrading a gun/sniper and needs something good out of the box?

How much money could I save if I did all those upgrades myself with VSR10 clone?

Their site isn't too helpful, there's a "read more" bit to click on the right to give:

Features:
- Accurate up to 90m with 0.45+ Gram BB under 500 FPS.
- Real Wood Stock which naturally absorbs vibration when shooting with high FPS
- Much Thicker Aluminum Outter Barrel compare with ordinary VSR
- Adjustable CNC Steel Sear
- 7mm VSR Spring Compatible ( Up to M190 )
- Light Bolt Push
-14mm Counter Clock Thread

FPS: 450-/500-/550- ( Please select in option menu below )

Upgrades:
- T-N.T. S+ 455mm Precsion Barrel
- T-N.T. TR Hop Up Bucking
- T-N.T. Hop Up Adjustment Arms for VSR
- T-N.T. CNC Steel Sear Set
- T-N.T. CNC Steel Cylinder Head
- T-N.T. CNC Aluminum Barrel Spacer

Package include:
- x1 VSR 10
- x3  30rd Extra Magazines
- x1 Manual

Sorry for the formatting, I just copied it straight from the page.

Personally, that is not a bad build all in all. The issues I would have with it is the vsr hop that would be in it. First thing I would change and action army would be my default along with a skee or Panthera nub.

One massive caveat, if that has a 45 degree trigger and cylinder that would be a massive weakness and an area that will fail sooner rather than later. 

You can achieve good results with the stock hop but you would need to carefully shim it. Not hard but time consuming and you would need a good 70-80m to check for hooking at the end of the range. You could get lucky but normally it takes a few attempts to get it right. 

Take the range with a pinch of salt that’s high end time and cost performance on 2.3j there. 

Or just buy a second hand upgraded vsr type build, clean it properly and then maybe replace the bucking and if the original owner knew what they are doing it will outperform most of the snipers you see on the field. 

My 2 pence worth based on years of sniping and fine tuning. OI

14 hours ago, Stodgy said:

Personally, that is not a bad build all in all. The issues I would have with it is the vsr hop that would be in it. First thing I would change and action army would be my default along with a skee or Panthera nub.

One massive caveat, if that has a 45 degree trigger and cylinder that would be a massive weakness and an area that will fail sooner rather than later. 

You can achieve good results with the stock hop but you would need to carefully shim it. Not hard but time consuming and you would need a good 70-80m to check for hooking at the end of the range. You could get lucky but normally it takes a few attempts to get it right. 

Take the range with a pinch of salt that’s high end time and cost performance on 2.3j there. 

Or just buy a second hand upgraded vsr type build, clean it properly and then maybe replace the bucking and if the original owner knew what they are doing it will outperform most of the snipers you see on the field. 

My 2 pence worth based on years of sniping and fine tuning. OI

In your opinion, this is a no-go then. Not worth the money?

I'm looking for more alternatives like this (pre-upgraded snipers like this one or the SSG), as I dont have the necessary knolege yet to upgrade one myself.

What are other good alternatives that I can buy?

25 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

I'm looking for more alternatives like this (pre-upgraded snipers like this one or the SSG), as I dont have the necessary knolege yet to upgrade one myself.

But you wont get that knowledge without upgrading one yourself. Sniper rifles are pretty simple beasts and easy to replace the parts on. 

If you want a sniper rifle that is "ok" out of the box then you have to spend the money on an SSG or an SRS. They still wont be better then a fully upgraded custom sniper rifle. Sniper rifles are built and not bought. If you really cant do it yourself, buy a cheap VSR10, research and purchase the parts needed and hire a tech to upgrade it for you. 

Just now, Asomodai said:

But you wont get that knowledge without upgrading one yourself. Sniper rifles are pretty simple beasts and easy to replace the parts on. 

If you want a sniper rifle that is "ok" out of the box then you have to spend the money on an SSG or an SRS. They still wont be better then a fully upgraded sniper rifle. Snipers are still built and not bought. 

SSG is a bit out of my pocket range XD, and the SRS is definitively way out, although I would love to have a bullpup sniper like it.

What are good starters for me to read on upgrading my sniper?

There is no cheap way to get a high end sniper per se and all the options have pros and cons. Your best bet is to take a look at the airsoft sniper forum that has an international flavour and has loads of build guides and reviews that are full of details. 

Building a sniper isnt hard it just takes time patience research and attention to detail. 

I fully concur with what asomodai suggests. 

If it was me i I would be looking second hand at a vsr comparable build. To give you an idea of where a good build will end up the only original parts on my vsr is the stock, scope rail, bolt and trigger guard. Everything else is aftermarket. Total cost I dread to think. 

Out the box the SRS edges the SSG because it has more aftermarket options. That said I believe sniper mechanics is looking at aftermarket parts that will probably level the playing field. 

You thought airsoft in general is a money pit? Welcome to the eternal chase sniping entails to get that flat shot consistency at range. Money and time will disappear faster than any other discipline in airsoft lol. But god it’s worth it for those games when it all comes together 😜

Ps. Sniping isn’t like YouTube. You miss more than you hit as all it takes is a blade of grass or a twig to deflect a shot. Also it takes a fair while for the bb to get to the target and if they move you will also obv miss. 

Where abouts are you? I may be playing at combat south in Portsmouth on Sunday and I can lend you a fully upgraded vsr rifle so you can see if you want to invest in sniping as an intro. 

20 minutes ago, Stodgy said:

There is no cheap way to get a high end sniper per se and all the options have pros and cons. Your best bet is to take a look at the airsoft sniper forum that has an international flavour and has loads of build guides and reviews that are full of details. 

Building a sniper isnt hard it just takes time patience research and attention to detail. 

I fully concur with what asomodai suggests. 

If it was me i I would be looking second hand at a vsr comparable build. To give you an idea of where a good build will end up the only original parts on my vsr is the stock, scope rail, bolt and trigger guard. Everything else is aftermarket. Total cost I dread to think. 

Out the box the SRS edges the SSG because it has more aftermarket options. That said I believe sniper mechanics is looking at aftermarket parts that will probably level the playing field. 

You thought airsoft in general is a money pit? Welcome to the eternal chase sniping entails to get that flat shot consistency at range. Money and time will disappear faster than any other discipline in airsoft lol. But god it’s worth it for those games when it all comes together 😜

Ps. Sniping isn’t like YouTube. You miss more than you hit as all it takes is a blade of grass or a twig to deflect a shot. Also it takes a fair while for the bb to get to the target and if they move you will also obv miss. 

Where abouts are you? I may be playing at combat south in Portsmouth on Sunday and I can lend you a fully upgraded vsr rifle so you can see if you want to invest in sniping as an intro. 

I am in Portugal. Airsoft here is still very underwelming. The amount of people playing is low, amount of places is low, amount of stores is low.

The buying power in my country is pretty low so I need to be extra carefull with the parts I order. I don't have that much margin for error otherwise I'll take a huge hit to my budget.

Assembling a sniper is not hard to do. What I find hard is the research, as you all sugested. I have considered 'hiring' a mechanic to do all of this for me, but cannot find any in my country.

Perhaps hire one online for the research only?

Go on airsoft sniper forum. Tons of guides there along with the technical research that backs it up. There is no golden bullet as airsoft tolerances in manufacture can be rather ropey so what works for one gun may not work in another. 

Im afraid to say there is no cheap way to get what your after. Even on a budget your still looking at circa £500 to get to the high end of performance. Can it be done for less? Yes possibly. I mean a trigger for 90 degree pistons is around £100. Barrel group same cost again. Base gun same if you buy a clone. Piston cylinder etc prob about the same it’s been a while since I brought those parts. Plus time. Lots and lots of time to tune it all to work properly. 

If I could play airsoft every weekend, I could consider such an investment. But I play maybe 2 a month, sometimes just once a month. 500$ is too much money to spend on a single toy, for the use it is getting. My max budget is 350$. Performance doesn't have to be top, It only needs to be the best it ca be for that price. I'm still building my loadout, wich makes investing on a single item even harder.

If that’s your max budget then you will not get what you want. Sorry it’s not feasible in my experience. 

Second hand is your only option and then there is no guarantee it’s been built properly. So you would still have to invest in it. 

32 minutes ago, Stodgy said:

If that’s your max budget then you will not get what you want. Sorry it’s not feasible in my experience. 

Second hand is your only option and then there is no guarantee it’s been built properly. So you would still have to invest in it. 

It is unfortunate then :S

Can anyone point me to some links for me to start reading on upgrading snipers?

• Supporters

If you're wanting to limit your cost, then I'd suggest looking into doing a TDC mod.

The material cost is one bolt/screw and a spring, maybe a nut and washers.  You'll need something to drill and tap a hole (or drill a hole and glue a nut on top).

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/32-general-sniper-talk/4634-top-dead-center-mod-tdc-guide.html (other guides are available, have a look on YouTube for videos)

Patience is required to get the location of the hole spot on, but it's not technically difficult.

This will allow you to put enough consistent pressure on to hop any weight of BB.  Of course, it might still hook left or right if your arm (or your TDC screw) isn't dead centre, but that's the point about snipers, you need to test and make tiny adjustments.  You can't just buy one and have it shoot like you'll see in a heavily edited YouTube video.

Now.

I do not know what the fps/J limit is in Portugal, but if it's like Italy or Ireland where everything is set at 1J max, you can just buy a TM vsr10 and you'll be set for ages.

If you have a higher limit, consider a vsr clone (I heard Cyma makes one with really sturdy externals), they are cheaper than dirt and the few upgrades you'll need aren't even that expensive. Mostly it'll be hop/barrel upgrades/mods (rogerborg already told you one you can do for pennies) and go from there.

The Ares Striker series could be a nice alternative (mainly the AS02, requires less stuff to change).

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Skara said:

I do not know what the fps/J limit is in Portugal, but if it's like Italy or Ireland where everything is set at 1J max, you can just buy a TM vsr10 and you'll be set for ages.

Good point.  Looks like a 1.3J blanket limit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_in_airsoft#Portugal :( 

I honestly don't think I'd bother with a bolt action gun then.  Just run an AEG.  The only thing that's going to matter is how heavy a BB you can hop (and again, DIY TDC FTW, I've even done one on an AEP just for laughs) and how fast you want to spam it downrange.

1.3 ain't far from 1.

He can literally buy a TM and use .3s or .4s and be bang on the limit.

He gets a really good gun out of the box that needs little to no modification and it's well within his budget. And it's whisper quiet too.

You can get the same results with a well tuned AUG but it takes A LOT of money to do that, and a lot of teching and tinkering, which is exactly what our friend doesn't want to do.

Archived