Airsoft in the rain

AmberYooToob
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 1st commando said:

I'm amazed that no one has pointed out the most obvious advice . Keep your muzzle pointed down !

It's amazing how often I see people with muzzle up in the rain and then wonder why the hop doesn't work at all 

100% didn't even think to mention that but a very valid point!

50 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

I would be more than happy for these fairweather players to fuck off and never come back - Frees up tickets for people who actually want to attend and give the day a proper go.

Or the site dies because it doesn't have enough income? In an ideal world everyone who showed up would play the same way with the same honour and integrity but everyone's different and enjoys different things.  If they pack up and go home as long as they don't expect money back I don't see the big harm a site should be able to adapt to changing player count, weather and play styles to keep it fun. 

Another point is if you do actually drop below enough players to have a fun game then the majority has clearly spoken at that point. 

I am speaking entirely about regular walk on skirmish days not events planned in advance that might require head count to work. If people sign up for these they should do so knowing it might not be a good weather day and be prepared to tough it out at least a little. I have heard of a few events being called off or postponed because of rain don't know how common this is. 

30 minutes ago, 1st commando said:

I'm amazed that no one has pointed out the most obvious advice . Keep your muzzle pointed down !

It's amazing how often I see people with muzzle up in the rain and then wonder why the hop doesn't work at all 

Excellent tip. 

20 minutes ago, Musica said:

I am speaking entirely about regular walk on skirmish days not events planned in advance that might require head count to work. If people sign up for these they should do so knowing it might not be a good weather day and be prepared to tough it out at least a little. I have heard of a few events being called off or postponed because of rain don't know how common this is. 

You're speaking past me then, because we are directly speaking about a specific event not related to a standard Sunday skirmish - you have constructed a strawman. I agree with you with regards to a Sunday skirmish. But we're talking about an event that has been directly threatened by people sodding off before it's over - the event organisers have said attendance issues like this will impact future events.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Reading back it's clear this is all a pretty nice strawman you constructed

Thank, I have been doing this for quite some time. ;)

Clumpy took the piss out of people online, as is his wont to do, and you took it to mean he'll be bullying people constantly on site.

Surely you're not suggesting a case of keyboard heroism?  I mean, I'm guilty of it all the time, but it's unfair to lump @clumpyedge in with me.

He's right that people going to an 8-hour all-day all-weather game *with no chance to actually leave the site* should be a lot better prepared for playing in adverse conditions, especially since they weren't too much of a surprise with forecasts etc.

As I was saying earlier, irrespective of the morals of piss-taking these players directly worsened (effectively stopped) the game by choosing to stop playing, despite other people being more than happy to continue on.

All of this is true.

We may differ on whether taking the piss (in person at the time or from the safety of a keyboard later) is a constructive response.

I would be more than happy for these fairweather players to fuck off and never come back - Frees up tickets for people who actually want to attend and give the day a proper go.

There you go with putting things in proper context again.  Where's the fun in that?

Sure, if it's some fully booked super leet milsim.

Most games aren't that though and most sites need more players, not fewer.

I will now seize the moral high ground by noting that on the few occasions when I've played outdoors in the rain, I brought a spare waterproof jacket to loan out.

Imagine a world where we helped each other to have a good day.

21 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

You're speaking past me then, because we are directly speaking about a specific event not related to a standard Sunday skirmish - you have constructed a strawman. I agree with you with regards to a Sunday skirmish. But we're talking about an event that has been directly threatened by people sodding off before it's over - the event organisers have said attendance issues like this will impact future events.

Yea I can understand the frustration more in these cases as they should be more committed to the event to a point at least. The thread was about a guy asking for advice and tips for playing in the rain so not sure how we specifically got on to only talking about a singular event that happened.

So far I've picked up 2 tips, get a cheap poncho (or two) and keep my muzzle down.  I've only been to two outdoor games and it lightly rained at one of them but it was more refreshing rain then getting soaked.  Did leave the grass soaking however which left my jeans below the knee absolutely soaking. Not sure if I should bother with waterproof trousers or not.  I like to do a bit of sprinting or bounding but unless I fork out for an expensive set of waterproofs I will be getting the boil in a bag issue when trying to do cardio in the rain.

Is it valid to be concerned about my AEG getting damaged in heavy rain? 

1 hour ago, Musica said:

Is it valid to be concerned about my AEG getting damaged in heavy rain? 

That’s an interesting question.

People often say that water and electricity don’t mix, but they don’t understand electricity with the problem being that they do mix very well with the potential to short circuit or electrocute 

If the board(s) are coated and sealed, and any other connections along the wiring, battery etc are protected and/or relevant areas of the body are sufficiently sealed then there is little to no risk. Then define ‘heavy rain’ - is that the danger of something getting wet or electrical areas getting swamped?  Next do you clean & dry off or leave it in a cupboard with the board sat in a puddle somewhere inside the body?  Unless someone tests these out then you don’t really know

Even if the electrics are safe, are moving parts going to be affected or not by water?

I’ve had paintball guns, both mechanical and electrical in most weather conditions and have suffered two casualties:

One touch board switch decided to not turn on when I next tried it, but it was roughly 10 years old (also second hand when I bought it) and had been subject to Sennybridge rain and freezing conditions even though it didn’t get played with

The second was the mechanical gun which I did play with that day, but wiped it down and put it in the cupboard for a few years.  It had touches of rust on some parts when taken out again.  15 minutes after being handed to Tippmann tech it was up and running with a full service, polish and a couple of new parts

In paintball we are more concerned in keeping our balls dry

I'll happily play in the rain, but like some people have already said, there comes a point where I draw a line. If its absolutely slinging it down and everyone looks like a drowned rat, standing water everywhere, and I'm more concerned about protecting my expensive electric toy gun than I am playing the game, it is no longer fun. Where it no longer becomes fun is clearly different for everyone, but its entirely down to the individual when they wish to call it a day. That said I don't see the harm in some light hearted banter if some players run for cover as soon as the rain starts falling. 

Something people haven't mentioned yet though is eye pro fogging up. Sunday just gone I played at Bawtry and was the worst conditions I've played in for fogging up. Combination of rain and humidity meant my usually reliable eye pro was fogging up along with everyone else's. We were all having to demist after every game, and given there were only 10 of us playing 5 on 5, they were short games.

End of the day If someone is miserable, cold and wet, they don't wont to risk damaging their AEG and they cant play 2 minutes without their eye pro misting up they are perfectly within their rights to say bollocks to this, this aint fun today. They are not in the military getting paid to train and fight come rain or shine, it is their own time and their own gear/guns they are risking with water damage. If some people leave, adapt. By mid afternoon on Sunday there were only 4 of us left, though it wasn't the weather that had forced the other players to leave (family, gear issues and car sharing). We just played some really quick and fun 2 v 2 and every man for himself games instead, and no-one cried about it what so ever. 

21 minutes ago, Immortal said:

When it's chucking down I wear this over my BDU:

WATERPROOF-RAIN-SUIT

Does the job and the jacket fit's in a small dump pouch if need be (not worth losing the trousers in a game!).

For a moment I thought it was the awesome sympatex flecktarn parka.

Cheap as chips and it's a proper membrane (just like the ultra common GTX dpm jacket everyone and their mom has, including me).

But hey, that works too!

iv played in allsorts. if its been heavy at the start of a day and its been how ive hoped to play turns itl pour the whole day I usually take the rare chance of a lie in instead.  but if its been an ok day and I got there and its changed iv put up with it. by that point im in the mind-set. course I find in certain ways it changes the day- visibility is reduced through haze, and googles getting wet/ steaming up/ sound of rain against hoods etc. the place I used to play put some plastic sheeting over its wooden corridors and a few out buildings so there was shelter when it was heavy but also made tat those building became more fought over in rain etc.

ive fond memories of once playing in hail wearing a trench coat and the hail bouncing off me so I couched down for ages in it realising I couldn't tell if I was being hit was near  covered in hail keeping my corridor covered. always wanted to lay in snow and wear a white poncho...,

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, _stylian_ said:

*laughs in HPA*

Tippmans maybe, but the solenoid systems are as vunerable as any aeg.

Although granted i've yet to have any actual issues beyond the odd poor connection on the fcu.

3 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Fuck that. I’d rather take a combat machine out then my setup 😂. Too expensive too risk it I’ll stay inside thank you :)

*laughs in fully mechanical HPA engine*

46 minutes ago, Immortal said:

I played last weekend and it chucked it down on & off all day. Great fun!

Seconded. 

Have you seen the pictures by the way, believe there is one of you. 

Archived