Getting rid of the rattle.

Stevo4345
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As anyone who has run a hi-cap knows the drawback of those extra bb’s is a teeth grinding eye watering rattle whenever you move.  An LMG box mag is exponentially worse.

In an effort to curb the noise I have modified my Krytac LMG-E box mag with sticky back Velcro padding, using the loop roll, not the hooks.

It hasn’t turned it into a super silent ninja assassin box, but it has cut out near 90% of the rattling.

7B5C1592-1231-44A4-B4B5-2885F450BCC1.jpeg

DFD121DD-4192-40EF-876B-AA484B28F18C.jpeg

840AB8A4-66DD-4B93-84AD-B89B6360EA43.jpeg

• Supporters

heard of folks doing these with odin speedloaders too, generally i go on the basis that i fill my odin, and if i need to use it mid-game stealth has long gone out of the window, same with support guns.

still, looks like a good job you've done there.

Craft foam is also useful for this sort of thing, cheap foam in Poundland etc is usually thin and in multi packs with odd colours.  If you’re just soundproofing the insides of something then who cares what colour it is?

Velcro is an interesting solution - especially sticky backed Velcro, simple and functional 

It was the first thing that came to mind when I thought about it. Got 5m rolls of sticky backed hook and loop tape for a few quid from Amazon. Whatever glue they used is spot on, very sticky stuff so I’m not too worried about it coming loose and getting sucked down into the feed hopper.

Was a bit off a faff cutting all the panels to size but a simple enough job.

Thinking about wiring in a pressure switch to activate the motor from the fore grip as well as the button mounted on the bottom of the mag. Will make winding easier when prone.

5 hours ago, Stevo4345 said:

Thinking about wiring in a pressure switch to activate the motor from the fore grip as well as the button mounted on the bottom of the mag. Will make winding easier when prone.

Did that with an electric M4 mag and it worked great, mine was placed on top of the handguard (yes, I c-clamp in airsoft because to me it's more comfortable than holding the gun by the magwell or a vertical grip) and was really intuitive to use. Then switched to the G&G mechanical winding drum magazine because I don't really trust electric winding stuff anymore. A couple of teammates did that mod as well and they're really happy with it! By doing it You can also bypass the sound activation, which more often than not is just a liability, especially on the cheaper box mags (yours is a KryKrack so it shouldn't be much of a problem).

On the box rattling suppression: you did a pretty neat job, although I don't think it'll make much of a difference in an actual gameplay scenario. Velcro (loop side) is used as a shim into the magwell to ensure magazines don't rock back and forth (is it spelt correctly?) causing feeding issues.

Archived