How good is the Thundermaul?

AmberYooToob
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Jing gong are fairly hit and miss could be spot on could need work. They are however just m4s so standard version 2 gearbox with lots of parts available.

11 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Jing gong are fairly hit and miss could be spot on could need work. They are however just m4s so standard version 2 gearbox with lots of parts available.

According to the site I’m looking at (A2Supplies) it’s 380 FPS which would make it a DMR

No, it would make it an illegal RIF under the Policing and Crime Act 2017

E: You will need to find it from a source which supplies it with a UK friendly FPS (375 or lower for .2) - I know I'm splitting hairs but you can't just call something a DMR because it shoots hotter than other guns

A "DMR" within Airsoft generally means a RIF which has been mechanically locked to only fire semi-automatic (thus allowing higher FPS), which out-of-the-box Thundermauls definitely aren't.

1 minute ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

How is it different to a DMR then, I’m new so I could be mistaken quite easily and unknowingly 

Check my reply, I realised I was a bit abrupt earlier so went back and edited my comment

Basically if you proceed with the order I would strongly advise calling the supplier asking if they can test the RIF before shipping it to you, giving you a solid FPS number - if it's above 375, ask them to clip the spring or put another one in giving you a lower FPS, or disable full-auto via mechanical modification.

E: Another thing to consider is that whilst under the law 375 (with .2s) is the acceptable high-end for a fully-auto RIF, many sites will only really allow around 350 or so. Your gun might be shooting too hot for the sites you want to attend.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, AmberYooToob said:

How is it different to a DMR then, I’m new so I could be mistaken quite easily and unknowingly 

Because it's capable of full auto, due to the high fps it makes it illegal, you could dmr by permanently modifying it to single shot only, but whether sites would then accept it as a dmr is doubtful ?

• Supporters
2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Yup.  Just to get the [citations] in, it would be an illegal fully automatic lethal barrelled firearm under Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968.  PCA 2017 defined the maximum allowed energy for airsoft guns to not count as firearms, which is 1.3J for automatics, using "any missile" that the State cares to drop in there (not 0.2g plastic BBs).

No UK retailer should be selling anything which shoots that hot fully auto.

There are much better guns around for less. You can get a G&G ARP9 for around £180. These may be a standard M4 internally but it's one that's encased in creaky ABS plastic and capped-off with a disintegrating rubberised stock. 

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup.  Just to get the [citations] in, it would be an illegal fully automatic lethal barrelled firearm under Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968.  PCA 2017 defined the maximum allowed energy for airsoft guns to not count as firearms, which is 1.3J for automatics, using "any missile" that the State cares to drop in there (not 0.2g plastic BBs).

No UK retailer should be selling anything which shoots that hot fully auto.

So you’re saying report A2Supplies?

20 minutes ago, AmberYooToob said:

I would say give them the benefit of the doubt and contact them to let them know they haven't updated the details of this particular product and that it would be a good idea to check their other products didn't also display such a copy and pasted statement from before the law was changed on FPS rules.

1 hour ago, AmberYooToob said:

Although FPS is usually referred to using 0.20g BB's. I've seen some mention what it shoots at with 0.12g, which in that case would be within legal limits. Besides looks like they're sold out. Personally I would just get on with my life.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, AmberYooToob said:

jordan.png

I'm saying nothing beyond that they shouldn't be selling it (and you shouldn't be buying it) if it's that hot.

But since they don't have any in stock (does anyone?) it's not currently an issue.

7 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

But since they don't have any in stock (does anyone?) it's not currently an issue.

Yes! Crawley Surplus have one on their racks, I should imagine they have already downgraded in order to avoid being reported by TS though.

12 hours ago, AmberYooToob said:

You say that like it means something to me 

It might not mean much to folks on here actually!!

Archived