Anti-fog goggles

Adan
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was tired of dealing with fog all the time, tried different goggles, anti-fog additives and so on, and I wouldn´t ever try mesh goggles so I decided to make my own gear which in principle is an air blowing system that continuously removes the steam produced inside the goggles. I´ve tried it already twice at skirmishes on very hot days and worked perfectly, so good bye fog for me.

For this project I took as a support base a tactical helmet and I used a very quiet electrical 5V fan blower, powered by LiPo batteries 7.4 V, 1200 mAh. The fan is connected to an flexible silicone tube followed by a Y connector in which I attached a smaller ID flexible tubes, those are connected directly into the goggles.

The fan is powered by the battery but it´s controlled by a power module and a variable resistor to select different fan speeds. The system works quite well even at the lowest speed and the battery lasts between 5 or 6 hours at full speed.

I built a box with 0.8 mm aluminium sheets for the battery in case it receives shots and it´s placed it outside the helmet ,  to protect the fan I hardened the structure with expoxy putty so I´m pretty sure it can withstand shots.

The goggles are directly attached to the helmet so it´s easy to put everything on, and allowed me to wear face protection too.

So on my tests, the fan is super quiet and zero vibrations I barely notice when is on, there´s a lot of place for improvements but this was the first prototype, I´m currently working on a compact version to be used with caps and smaller goggles.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.49 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.49 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.47.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.46 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.45.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-21 at 23.26.43.jpeg

That's not a bad idea for a helmet set-up, I become a sweaty manbeast even without a helmet on. My ESS goggles have superb antifog and don't fog up but the problem is sweat dripping down the inside of the lenses, I wonder how this setup would cope with that?

Yes you could say that, before making this helmet I checked online and there´s plenty of products from cheap goggles on Amazon, which I wouldn´t trust to work, it comes with a tiny fan powered by AAA batteries, there´s also cyclone mike , Exfog and also the £280 version of the goggles but all powered by AAA batteries.

The fan I used is the same used for cyclone mike but cost me way less and I didn´t wanted to rely on AAA batteries, for me LiPo was a must for several hours of use. Another thing this products don´t have is the speed control. In overall it cost me a third of an Exfog and has the features I look for.

2 hours ago, Tiercel said:

That's not a bad idea for a helmet set-up, I become a sweaty manbeast even without a helmet on. My ESS goggles have superb antifog and don't fog up but the problem is sweat dripping down the inside of the lenses, I wonder how this setup would cope with that?

I sweat a lot too, and I fogged everything I´ve use even with antifog products, ventilated goggles and all the times I accumulate a lot of water on them. When I turned on the fan right from the beggining it blows away all the sweat, and scapes through the small gaps of the goggles so I think it wouldn´t work with completely sealed goggles. It is the first time I can be on a skirmish full time and not having to clean the goggles all the time.

Also to prevent my eyes to be dry from the airflow I deflected the tubes to blow directly into the screen, I attach a picture from inside the goggles.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-22 at 12.28.46.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

How much was all the parts for this? The fan systems tend to run at quite a high price.

If you have a helmet or anything similar and goggles it´s super cheap, I would say less than £60 and you´ll end up with a very reliable fan, reliable battery, nothing will brake dow in a few days besides everything can be easily replaced. 

I was tempted to buy the £25 fan goggles on Amazon, but the costumer´s feedback is quite bad, I would say they are disposable.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Very nicely done.  How are you achieving a seal between the fan output and the tubing?  Epoxy putty?

Thanks, yes epoxy putty and making sure the tube doesn´t touch the blades I made a cut of the tube on a C shape sort of saying to cover more volume inside the fan, also I got a tube to match with the internal diameter of the fan, I checked this previously on the specifitications so it won´t be lose. I tested using teflon tape, or other types of tape (as used for cyclone mike fan) but this seemed the best option.

I attach a picture of a newer version I´m working on, this one will be lighter and fit´s any cap, plus I think I can make it more air efficient.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-22 at 22.37.40.jpeg

• Supporters

[Desire to emulate intensifies]

I bought a couple of those fans and various tubing a while back intending to do just this, but then wussed out and went commercial.  The shop-bought fan goggles do just about work, but the fans are tiny and this looks like a better solution.

Archived