Recommend me Some PC Games!

Philby21

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi gang,

Just got a gaming laptop (not a stupidly high spec one but still not cheap) and I'm looking for some interesting ideas for games to try.

I'm not a huge gamer to be honest, I started out playing the likes of Manic Miner and Pyjamara etc back in the early days!

Not a big fan of online gaming, more interested in something with a good story/campaign to be able to dip in and out of when I have the opportunity. Although I have to admit that I'm probably going to get Kerbal Space Program!

TIA! 😁

Rainbow six siege - advise to watch online or wait until they offer a free weekend as it's relatively expensive however it is fun and a good go to when you're bored

Divinity original sin 2 - In depth RPG with team building. Good on co-op/team. Open play until fights where it's turn based actions. Easily sink hours into it, has replay ability to discover different quests, ways to improve, better fighting or spells etc

Prison architect - Prison building simulation game, easy going and has a low learning curve to begin with

Minecraft - you've probably heard of it, install mod packs to have a questing side of things, or just do your own thing. More fun with friends if you ask me.

Red dead redemption 2 - Possibly the game of 2018? With a good pc you'll see why, excellent attention to detail and a fun game - online mode is not great though

Cooking simulator - You control hands and try to keep up with orders, fun and quirky, frustrating and unforgiving but great. Recipes are always on display bit can get difficult to manage everything going on 

Green hell - Survival genre, difficult and no real tutorial so to speak. Learn from your mistakes. Very fun but again unforgiving.

Ancestors - not out yet, similar to Green Hell, survival type game but more evolution based as you're a monkey working upto a human

Football manager 2020 - out in November, if you're into football, manage a team however you don't play the actual football game itself. Can be tricky, huge depth of game. Very customisable and enjoyable, easy to sink hours into

Baldurs gate 3 - Not out yet, been years since a balders gate came out, but the folks at Divinity Original Sin are bringing this one out so could be fantastic

Age of Empires 4 - Again, not out, worth a pre order, of you think you'll enjoy it, recommend buying Age of Empires 2 (best of the set)

Skyrim - Old, memed and glitchy, but one hell of a game. Open world exploration. Many quests, random encounters, be an ass or be a law abiding citizen and kill of the various guilds etc. Magic and melee skill moves. Great views from mountains 

Don't Starve - a few iterations of this game, there is a base edition as well as a sea/pirate one as well as an online version. The game is on the name, don't Starve, as well as don't get eaten in the dark etc. Survival game, unique graphics and gameplay. Fun, but again no real tutorial in game. Ramps up in terms of the learning curve the further you go in.

Oxygen not included - From the makers of the above game, similar to don't Starve but this time it's trying to get people to stay alive in side of an area with a lack of oxygen. Unique graphics. Quite fun, big learning curve due to depth of in-game statistics 

Call of duty modern warfare (the newest iteration) could be as good as the previously good COD whenever that came out, time will tell. 

Dark souls 3 - Never actually played this, however based on what friends have said to me and what I've seen online, it's a very good game. Dubbed one of the hardest games in recent times. 

There is a small list of most of my favourite games. I tend to play online with friends now on most games but every now and then I just leave a game on in the background ticking away. I can't recommend Divinity original sin 2 enough though. 

Look at YouTubers playing these games, however I'd maybe watch 3/4 different people playing as some people give games a bad review/bad look by their way of playing - I know I do. Obviously it comes down to what you like as well. Try g2a.com to get a slightly lower price on some games however sometimes they are cheaper from original source i.e steam/Ubisoft etc. Let me know if you get any from the list and if you need help with anything 

I put some pre orders on there as well because these all look great

• Supporters

Too much range of games to pick from with what you've given. I'd recommend any of these.. Good solid games are in bold

Open World: The Division, Wildlands, GTA V, Just Cause, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas/4, Dying Light, Mad Max, Mafia 2

Story driven shooters: Metro 2033/Last Light, Spec Ops: The Line, Mass Effect 2/3, Bioshock, Deus Ex Human Revolution

Puzzle: Portal 1/2, Mirrors Edge 

Horror: Alien Isolation, Dead Space 1/2, Outlast

Driving: Euro Truck Simulator 2, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally/3

Sci-fi: Elite Dangerous, KOTOR

RTS: Men Of War, Stellaris, XCOM, Star Wars Empire at War, Total War franchise

Building games: Cities Skylines, Frostpunk

Few of my favourites include This War of Mine, Hitman, The Forest and Subnautica. All of these can be played solo. Telltale games, noticably The Walking Dead (Season1+2), are choice based games with good stories. Will add more to the list later.

Highly recommend Halo Master Chief Collection when it comes to PC.

The Last Of Us is a great game and worth buying a second hand PS3 for imo. 

@Robert James Red Dead Redemption is only on consoles atm but it's a goodie for sure.

Get Steam and download your games primarily through that. Check out r/patientgamers and r/gamedeals on Reddit. You can often find free games and heavily discounted items along with the general consensus on them there.

Epic Games have the Lego Batman Trilogy and Arkham collection for free on their store. They're basically the devil of PC gaming but free is free. Next week they are giving away Metro 2033 Redux so if anything just make an account for the weekly giveaway to bump up your library. 

Origin have a monthly subscription service for £3.99. A good price for the amount of games you get and includes basically 1/3 of this list plus much, much more.

If there's a multiplayer game you're interested in but want some more info about it - or even just soneone to play and explain the basics - I've probably got it.

Cheers guys, certainly a lot to take a look at here.

@Robert James thanks for the tip about YouTube, will definitely look into that.

@Gepard quite a few of your bold suggestions had popped onto my radar, some of them I've already played/completed on Xbox!

On a related subject, any recommendations for reasonably priced headsets or headphones? Not necessarily gaming as I'd like something that would be useful for watching movies too.

👍

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

On a related subject, any recommendations for reasonably priced headsets or headphones? Not necessarily gaming as I'd like something that would be useful for watching movies too.

The Superlux HD668B should get you started. End of the day though you do pay for what you get. I use these with a ModMic and it works quite nicely for not only my gaming but piano and guitar too, as well as late night Netflix binging.

1 hour ago, Philby21 said:

Cheers guys, certainly a lot to take a look at here.

@Robert James thanks for the tip about YouTube, will definitely look into that.

@Gepard quite a few of your bold suggestions had popped onto my radar, some of them I've already played/completed on Xbox!

👍

Or turtle beach headset. Kraken from razor 1st edition are about £60 and haven't failed me yet for about 3/4 years

9 hours ago, Robert James said:

Kraken from razor

Had a quick look on Amazon for these, there seems to be about half a dozen different models! Can you help narrow it down? 😁

Don't get a gaming headset IMO, the only point of a gaming headset is to have an integrated microphone and you're going to be playing single player, audio quality isn't the best on most of them with lower ranges. If you really need a microphone I'd recommend getting a decent pair of standard headphones like ATH-M40X or the ones Gepard suggested, then a £5 desktop microphone.

32 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Don't get a gaming headset IMO, the only point of a gaming headset is to have an integrated microphone and you're going to be playing single player, audio quality isn't the best on most of them with lower ranges. If you really need a microphone I'd recommend getting a decent pair of standard headphones like ATH-M40X or the ones Gepard suggested, then a £5 desktop microphone.

Kind of agree... Worse case I can gift you my blue yeti that I don't use anymore (it's a microphone) 

Hmm, maybe I'll stick with a decent pair of headphones then, I don't really need the mic so much.

Cheers guys 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly if your not a big gamer try some of the tripple A games that are a bit old so can be had cheap. GTA 5, The Witcher 3, Diablo 3, Batman Arkham Asylum. All pretty different games there if you want to get online and shoot people(my preferred pass time) Overwatch, CSGO, BF5 are all different types of shooters. 

3 hours ago, Musica said:

Honestly if your not a big gamer try some of the tripple A games that are a bit old so can be had cheap. GTA 5, The Witcher 3, Diablo 3, Batman Arkham Asylum. All pretty different games there if you want to get online and shoot people(my preferred pass time) Overwatch, CSGO, BF5 are all different types of shooters. 

GTA 5 is already on my Steam wishlist, used to play it on the 360 before moving up to the Xbone and never got round to getting the remastered version.

Will definitely look into some of the others too, cheers!

3 hours ago, Samurai said:

Planetside 2. It's very hard to get the hang of it.

Not come across that one before, thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have bought Far Cry 5 from steam store, a pretty good game I would say. You can try it out too. BTW, I was having one strange issue after purchasing this game, but that was not the game's fault, so if you also face issues after purchasing it, you can try these remedies from this article(which helped me too).

• 2 months later...

I’m playing mythology game Hades. Like all SGG creations, the game is distinguished by gorgeous visuals, a cool soundtrack authored by Darren Korb and unique mechanics. The game's plot is quite simple. The game does not have a specific genre - it is a mixture of action and slasher. There are six types of weapons, but each has four types. It is more convenient to play on the joystick, since the dynamics of the game are quite frantic. However, the difficulty of the game is not so high, sooner or later it will turn out to escape. The game has only four worlds with several rooms in each and a boss at the end, which change. In general, if you were looking for something similar, then you should not pass by. The game is really worth your attention.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporters
5 hours ago, bedolaga said:

GTA 5 is the only game on my list that I play. I passed it completely, even all the extra missions. 

Well, hello and welcome.

• 1 year later...
On 21/09/2019 at 04:52, Robert James said:

Rainbow six siege - advise to watch online or wait until they offer a free weekend as it's relatively expensive however it is fun and a good go to when you're bored

Divinity original sin 2 - In depth RPG with team building. Good on co-op/team. Open play until fights where it's turn based actions. Easily sink hours into it, has replay ability to discover different quests, ways to improve, better fighting or spells etc

Prison architect - Prison building simulation game, easy going and has a low learning curve to begin with

Minecraft - you've probably heard of it, install mod packs to have a questing side of things, or just do your own thing. More fun with friends if you ask me.

Red dead redemption 2 - Possibly the game of 2018? With a good pc you'll see why, excellent attention to detail and a fun game - online mode is not great though

Cooking simulator - You control hands and try to keep up with orders, fun and quirky, frustrating and unforgiving but great. Recipes are always on display bit can get difficult to manage everything going on 

Green hell - Survival genre, difficult and no real tutorial so to speak. Learn from your mistakes. Very fun but again unforgiving.

Ancestors - not out yet, similar to Green Hell, survival type game but more evolution based as you're a monkey working upto a human

Football manager 2020 - out in November, if you're into football, manage a team however you don't play the actual football game itself. Can be tricky, huge depth of game. Very customisable and enjoyable, easy to sink hours into

Baldurs gate 3 - Not out yet, been years since a balders gate came out, but the folks at Divinity Original Sin are bringing this one out so could be fantastic

Age of Empires 4 - Again, not out, worth a pre order, of you think you'll enjoy it, recommend buying Age of Empires 2 (best of the set)

Skyrim - Old, memed and glitchy, but one hell of a game. Open world exploration. Many quests, random encounters, be an ass or be a law abiding citizen and kill of the various guilds etc. Magic and melee skill moves. Great views from mountains 

Don't Starve - a few iterations of this game, there is a base edition as well as a sea/pirate one as well as an online version. The game is on the name, don't Starve, as well as don't get eaten in the dark etc. Survival game, unique graphics and gameplay. Fun, but again no real tutorial in game. Ramps up in terms of the learning curve the further you go in.

Oxygen not included - From the makers of the above game, similar to don't Starve but this time it's trying to get people to stay alive in side of an area with a lack of oxygen. Unique graphics. Quite fun, big learning curve due to depth of in-game statistics 

Call of duty modern warfare (the newest iteration) could be as good as the previously good COD whenever that came out, time will tell. 

Dark souls 3 - Never actually played this, however based on what friends have said to me and what I've seen online, it's a very good game. Dubbed one of the hardest games in recent times. 

There is a small list of most of my favourite games. I tend to play online with friends now on most games but every now and then I just leave a game on in the background ticking away. I can't recommend Divinity original sin 2 enough though. 

Look at YouTubers playing these games, however I'd maybe watch 3/4 different people playing as some people give games a bad review/bad look by their way of playing game grumps genocide run- I know I do. Obviously it comes down to what you like as well. Try g2a.com to get a slightly lower price on some games however sometimes they are cheaper from original source i.e steam/Ubisoft etc. Let me know if you get any from the list and if you need help with anything 

I put some pre orders on there as well because these all look great

I would appreciate if someone could point out some good PC games for me. Offline and online, doesn't matter. I've only got 2 PC games right now which are Starcraft II and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I'm really thinking of getting Far Cry 2. -Btw, my setup is able to play probably any game with ease.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, mowej said:

I would appreciate if someone could point out some good PC games for me. Offline and online, doesn't matter. I've only got 2 PC games right now which are Starcraft II and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I'm really thinking of getting Far Cry 2. -Btw, my setup is able to play probably any game with ease.

Well, hello and welcome.

If you want a game that you can live inside, Red Dead Redemption 2  holds up well.

I like a wee play of War Thunder, used to play the WoW etc before that. MWII too but I don't play often enough to get any better than the 55yr old I am.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.