80% Frames

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Maybe not as odd as it sounds, does anybody know anything about 80% frames?

I have been informed by my local RFD that only pressure bearing firearms components require an FAC, but finding an importer is proving somewhat problematic.

Brownells advertise them on their UK site, but don’t actually import them🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks Hive Mind 👍🏻 

Brownells says they're a "call to order" item.  I'd think it was best to speak them directly as I doubt they're going to do anything sketchy and risk their business. Of course you could take the advice from some strangers on the Internet instead.

Ultimately, what's even the point? It's just going to bump you higher up the potential nutter watch list.

15 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Brownells says they're a "call to order" item.  I'd think it was best to speak them directly as I doubt they're going to do anything sketchy and risk their business. Of course you could take the advice from some strangers on the Internet instead.

Ultimately, what's even the point? It's just going to bump you higher up the potential nutter watch list.

Already spoken to them. As for what’s the point, that’s my business, surely? I don’t need to justify myself to strangers on the internet after all 😂😂😂

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

man needs his shiny, i see no problem with this.

from a legal standpoint i guess this could be interesting, afaik the point of them is that under american law it's the reciever/frame is the serialised "gun", and there are tin foil hatters who'd preferr to not have "the man" know they have a gun so they "manufacture" their own, and these are a means to skirt that. (bearing in mind i'm not american or a lawyer so take that with a pinch of salt)

as for what it means over here i'm not sure, afaik converting a deactivated gun to airsoft is not ok because it would require enough of the deactivation to be reversed to enable it to be used as an airsoft gun (regardless of any logic that an airsoft conversion will likely do more permanent damage to it's chances of being used as a real firearm than a standard deactivation), but i don't know if that applies to something that's "not yet a gun".

i'd be interested to know as part of me is tempted to have a crack at converting one of the GWACS polymer lowers for airsoft.

2 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

So Brownells have said they're legal to import and own but you just need an importer?

Sorry, where did I say that about Brownells?

39 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Sorry, where did I say that about Brownells?

You didn't.  Which is what I'm trying to get at.  You appear to be deliberately ambiguous.

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

but finding an importer is proving somewhat problematic
Brownells advertise them on their UK site, but don’t actually import them🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

Already spoken to them.

Could you elaborate on the situation then?  What have you found out you haven't disclosed?  Can you see why one would make that assumption based on what you've posted?  It's a bit difficult to help when we only have half the story.

23 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

You didn't.  Which is what I'm trying to get at.  You appear to be deliberately ambiguous.

Could you elaborate on the situation then?  What have you found out you haven't disclosed?  Can you see why one would make that assumption based on what you've posted?  It's a bit difficult to help when we only have half the story.

Nope, I asked if anybody new of any importers of 80% frames. That’s it

Is your wanting one based on your RFD telling you only pressure bearing firearm components need a FAC?  As I was under the impression the law changed a few years ago and the grey areas were cleared up when it came to components and now frames are specifically listed despite not being pressure bearing.  From my understanding, even an 80% would be classified as a firearm now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived