First Shower Grenades for Launcher. Pros and cons of capacity?

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello gents. 

A bit embarrassing, but I have never used Shower Grenades/Launchers. (Never used Pyro/Tags/Blank firer either, but thats a different story!)

I picked up a well used AG36 for the G36 that needed a bit of fixing. Managed to fix the loading plate and missing bolts.

I am looking to get some Shower Grenades Maybe 2 or 3 of them. 

Is there an advantage to using lower capacity ones over high capacity? IE, less bbs to push so they travel faster and slightly further? Or do they generally have the same range? 

Looking at the cheap as chips Nuprol ones. I can get 3 75 rounders for 50 quid. 

Any other advice? I know they are quite short range, what is the effective range exactly? What gas should I be using? 

Cheers!

For gas - guarder black gas. I've yet to try MAPP though. Co2 is the best gas to use though it requires collateral. 

Capacity wise there's not much in it.

The absolute best showers you can get are madbull and s-thunder. The latter can also have 'co2 cores' which will allow to use co2.

Back in the day you could get packs of six 'eagle force' which were great value for money.

Paintball style shells are soooo much easier to load that i prefer them. Having said that, im sure the nuprol are fine, though ive not used them myself. 

Thanks

• Supporters

I had metal Madbull and Classic Army ones waaaaay back int'day, super not worth the weight of carrying them for the absolutely minimal usefulness.  Which is somewhat ironic as some militaries are making big moves away from rifle mounted 40mms in favour of standalones for similar-ish reasons.

Personally I found the lower capacity the better the range and that was the experience of everyone else I've talked to on the topic.  Which makes sense - for a given volume of pressurised gas you can only impart X amount of energy per BB end of the day, no way around that other than getting shells that can handle higher pressure propane or Co2.

46 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

For gas - guarder black gas. I've yet to try MAPP though. Co2 is the best gas to use though it requires collateral. 

Capacity wise there's not much in it.

The absolute best showers you can get are madbull and s-thunder. The latter can also have 'co2 cores' which will allow to use co2.

Back in the day you could get packs of six 'eagle force' which were great value for money.

Paintball style shells are soooo much easier to load that i prefer them. Having said that, im sure the nuprol are fine, though ive not used them myself. 

Thanks

The Eagle Force ones are Matrix. Couldn't find any here. 

Do you think Red Gas will be good enough for now? I have a couple of bottles. 

13 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

I had metal Madbull and Classic Army ones waaaaay back int'day, super not worth the weight of carrying them for the absolutely minimal usefulness.  Which is somewhat ironic as some militaries are making big moves away from rifle mounted 40mms in favour of standalones for similar-ish reasons.

Personally I found the lower capacity the better the range and that was the experience of everyone else I've talked to on the topic.  Which makes sense - for a given volume of pressurised gas you can only impart X amount of energy per BB end of the day, no way around that other than getting shells that can handle higher pressure propane or Co2.

Thanks for the advice. I probably wont use it alot either. Hence why I am looking at the cheaper Nuprol Shells. 

• Supporters

They're a catch 22.  Usefulness is niche so yeah makes sense to buy cheap ones, but the cheaper you buy the less range you might get which makes them even less useful and the loop goes round.  Very much site rule dependant too, sometimes you can be limited to quite literally a couple of metres in between the shells' max range and the site MED.  I could harp on that topic for ages but suffice to say there's a reason you almost never see these things on the field and if you do it's someone's first time using them.

Maybe get some Master Mikes, they aren't proper shower shells, but they're no 40 mike either.

People seem to not bitch about them too much.

• Supporters

When you come down to it in Airsoft what do you really ‘need’ bar an AEG and a couple of hi-caps ? Nothing really . What do you WANT is the question.

Shower grenades/moscarts/showershells/ what ever you want to call them are just like pretty much every other  ‘non standard’ weapon in Airsoft , you only get to use them literally once in a blue moon BUT when you do get to use it (properly that is) then it does put a bloody huge grin on your face !

Me personally I always say if you can carry XYZ bit of kit without any detrimental effect to how you can play then carry it , but if it’s effecting how you play because it’s too heavy/awkward to carry ? Then don’t carry dumbass !😂

So me I’d say simple as that really .👍

11 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

When you come down to it in Airsoft what do you really ‘need’ bar an AEG and a couple of hi-caps ? Nothing really . What do you WANT is the question.

Shower grenades/moscarts/showershells/ what ever you want to call them are just like pretty much every other  ‘non standard’ weapon in Airsoft , you only get to use them literally once in a blue moon BUT when you do get to use it (properly that is) then it does put a bloody huge grin on your face !

Me personally I always say if you can carry XYZ bit of kit without any detrimental effect to how you can play then carry it , but if it’s effecting how you play because it’s too heavy/awkward to carry ? Then don’t carry dumbass !😂

So me I’d say simple as that really .👍

Hell I cant carry anything. But in this case like most of my purchase it's about "The look". 

Either way I will be borrowing some mates shells this Sunday and will report back then! 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Hell I cant carry anything. But in this case like most of my purchase it's about "The look". 

Piece of PVC waste pipe +  Poundland black rattle can + couple of cable ties = She's got the look.

45 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Piece of PVC waste pipe +  Poundland black rattle can + couple of cable ties = She's got the look.

Well I'm no "common" m203 user. As a refined human being, I require the refined looks of the AG36 🙎‍♂️

Makes me wish I had a Scar H so i can have the excuse to get an EGLM.

kinda want one (tempting for a tommygun....) but by my closest experience of when I has a goblin that I found meh in all bar one shot where the guy prettymuch craped hisself does make me consider such again. am watching so do let us know what works please cheers

• Supporters

personally i'm not a fan, in terms of range you can under-load a larger shell to get a bit more boost, although i suspect if you go too far might have problems with fps.

tbh my experience with 40mm stuff (barring tag rounds) is kinda meh, even the "terrifying" 40-mike is kinda meh in-use, maybe it's just my play style but if they're close enough to be in range they're close enough that i'd feel kind of a dick for blasting them when i could just pop a couple of rounds out of the rifle and move on.

the paintball style shells are definately better, much easier loaded, although the multi-barrel types don't require a bung.

dont get me wrong, i love the look of the 203 mounted on the f2000 but it takes an average of about half a game before i'm questioning why i'm bothering with the extra weight.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

If you mean the look is of 'complete dogshit' then you are onto a winner there

What in the world can make a brown-eyed girl turn blue.
When everything I'll ever do I'll do for you
and I go: la la la la la

She's got the look.

I declare Friday night to be Classic Song Night.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What in the world can make a brown-eyed girl turn blue.
When everything I'll ever do I'll do for you
and I go: la la la la la

She's got the look.

I declare Friday night to be Classic Song Night.

Roxette? Classic? I think you need to go have a good long think about your life.

Im thinking of getting a couple master mikes.  Got one nuprol shower shell, but its a little lack luster.  

Fun in close quarters.  Also if i remember right at the gaol,  40mm shells fired and hitting a car counts as a hit to those in cover, so could be useful? At least that what i was told aaages ago and not as yet tested personally.

21 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Well I'm no "common" m203 user. As a refined human being, I require the refined looks of the AG36 🙎‍♂️

Makes me wish I had a Scar H so i can have the excuse to get an EGLM.

I’m so tempted for my SCAR H, but I know that the weight will be the end of me, unless I hit the gym and power up!

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Lozart said:

Roxette? Classic? I think you need to go have a good long think about your life.

30 years ago is half a lifetime.  I've embraced my inner geezer.

So I had a chance to play around with the launcher today, yes it was bloody heavy, but looked mean as. It was quite fun to scare the crap out of new players. However the four shells my mate had, only one worked well enough (Could hold gas and the BB's wouldn't escape the O-rings when tipped. 

I am looking at getting the type that uses caps or tape instead. Any recommendations on those? 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Asomodai said:

So I had a chance to play around with the launcher today, yes it was bloody heavy, but looked mean as. It was quite fun to scare the crap out of new players. However the four shells my mate had, only one worked well enough (Could hold gas and the BB's wouldn't escape the O-rings when tipped. 

I am looking at getting the type that uses caps or tape instead. Any recommendations on those? 

you can replace the o ring on those multi barreled style shells.

the asg shells are ok, as long as you keep them gassed not much problem with leaking, they can even take co2 (although frankly they don't perform much better on co2)

Archived