Gate Aster kinda review 👍

TmMP7gbb82
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So having recently purchased the gate aster and installed in in my krytac lmg I thought I would write a sort of review/summary of the performance and problems I have had and see if anyone else has had problems? 

So installation was relatively easy if you have some experience opening up gear boxes but onto the first problem, gate and all the sites selling the aster claim it is a drop in for krytacs with 'no dremmeling of the gearbox required, only the removal of the bolt lock' this is wrong, the aster instead of 2boards (1 sending the light signal and 1 receiving it like the titan) has a single trigger board and you place a reflective sticker on the other half of the gearbox, accept the spot you place this sticker has a reinforcement strip running through it that you have to dremmel away or the trigger sensor cannot read the sticker reflection as its not flat, hardly 'drop in' but no biggy. The bolt catch I can't comment on as the lmg does not use one. 

Once installed the gun fired intermittently, turns out this is a problem with light getting in where the trigger hole is in the receiver /gearbox and confusing the trigger sensor, a little black electrical tape over the hole solved that. 

Now once trigger/selector plate were calibrated everything worked as it should until I began to reduce the trigger travel on my maxx model adjustable trigger, I could not get into 'trigger programming mode' after some communication with gate and from what I understand the aster will only allow you to program it via the trigger if the tavel is set to 'full' if you adjust it via the trigger grub screw and in the gate GCU app to anything much less than full travel it won't let you 🤔🙄. Now when I have it set so I can trigger program if I switch fire modes the gun won't fire once I set it untill I unplug the battery and plug it back in, more worryingly when I did program it this way the gun would fire when I switched from safe to semi with out me touching the trigger! I contacted gate again and they said update to the latest firmware (which only came out the day before🤔) this seems to of solved the firing on its own problem but not the dead trigger after a fire selector change and I have still yet to hear from gate about it 😔 now all these problems were no major issue as I can program the gun from my phone/USB link but would just of been nice to be able to switch fire modes on the fly. 

Now it sounds like am slating the aster but am not, it has some glitches/teething problems but is great! My fire rate is up and adjustable, my trigger response on an 11.1v volt is amazing (40ms) and the adjustable features like active brake, fire rate, trigger sensitivity, fire mode option, statistics and diagnostics is great and I do recommend it to anyone even based on my slightly negative experience the pros out way the cons 👍 would also recommend a motor swap for UK krytacs if you are going to use an 11.1v and active brake as the 20k motor is not quite up to it (I used a classic army 25k, nice torque /speed balance) hope this info helps someone and my problems may just be limited to my unit /setup, every other gate product I have used was perfect so I will give them the benefit of the doubt 👍

• Supporters

Mite of been better posted in the reviews section ? 

I’m having issues with mine, installed it checked sensors everything good, test fired all seemed well, went back in the house to get the chrono, came back out and it stopped working, checked on gcs error: trigger being pulled when battery connected. So I tried to recalibrate but no joy so stripped cleaned the sensors reassembled it same issues but fires intermittent so tried to connect to the gcs to recalibrate but now the usb doesn’t even change colour just stays blue and now it doesn’t fire either. Tried different tablets and phones. USB works fine with my Titan. Waiting on gate to reply to my emails 

7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Mite of been better posted in the reviews section ? 

Yeah sorry dude it was abit of both really review/issues reporting, probably should of put it in both 😂

7 hours ago, ProPain87 said:

I’m having issues with mine, installed it checked sensors everything good, test fired all seemed well, went back in the house to get the chrono, came back out and it stopped working, checked on gcs error: trigger being pulled when battery connected. So I tried to recalibrate but no joy so stripped cleaned the sensors reassembled it same issues but fires intermittent so tried to connect to the gcs to recalibrate but now the usb doesn’t even change colour just stays blue and now it doesn’t fire either. Tried different tablets and phones. USB works fine with my Titan. Waiting on gate to reply to my emails 

I've had the problem with the USB link having trouble connecting the plugs don't exactly push in far, but it could be that your connection on your phone has fluff/dirt in it and won't let  the cable plug all the way, that worked for me. Gate were pretty good at getting back to me after my first issue so they should help you out 👍

• Head Moderator
45 minutes ago, TmMP7gbb82 said:

it was abit of both really review/issues reporting, probably should of put it in both

Moderator Comment

Moved to Reviews section.  Duplicate topic removed (please see Forum Rules).

1 hour ago, TmMP7gbb82 said:

but it could be that your connection on your phone has fluff/dirt in it and won't let  the cable plug all the way, that worked for me.

Nope, unfortunately not. Tried multiple phones and tablets and it works fine with my Titan 

5 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Moderator Comment

Moved to Reviews section.  Duplicate topic removed (please see Forum Rules).

OK cheers dude I will know for next time 👍🍻

Archived