What paint to use

Hawkkw
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to paint m4 but don't know what type of paint to buy.  Can anyone help please.

Cheers

Hawkkw

6 minutes ago, E21A said:

Yea, first stuff I tried. It’s good for the price, but in my opinion krylon is better. 

Fair enough, Personally I never really do anything to fancy so I'm happy just paying for that. If I were doing anything with stencils etc id go with Kyrlon as I find the cap is less prone to dotting like the Halfords one is.

Halfords stuff works fine but the important thing is to make sure the surface is very clean of any oils.

Also recommended to sand any smooth areas a bit to give the paint a bit more purchase. (before cleaning of course)

49 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Halfords stuff works fine but the important thing is to make sure the surface is very clean of any oils.

Also recommended to sand any smooth areas a bit to give the paint a bit more purchase. (before cleaning of course)

I generally use a mix of iso-alcohol and warm water on a damp to take off anything so as not to damage the plastic or cause any removal of stuff I want to keep on there, that dries off pretty quickly and then get started on spraying.

Thanks for all the advice.  I've watched a few vids on YouTube and one thing I've noticed is that you don't have to strip down the weapon and tape off lenses etc.

Guys what is the best way of painting my M4.  Do I have to strip it down, or do want everyone say on YouTube is tape off some parts but don't strip down the weopon for painting 

Depends on the paintjob. Stripping is safer to the innards but makes a pattern hard to flow accross all parts (but not impossible). Tape and kitchen towel will work though...

What rif is it? Sorry if you've said, I haven't read the thread...

EDIT: An M4... I see. Take the barrel out, preferably the gearbox too, put it back together as a shell and paint. That's what I'd do. Less hassle than masking it all. Then once dry; reinstall...

• Supporters

Way too much effort to take the gearbox and barrel out! Stuff a big ball of newspaper up the magwell, tape off the muzzle and make sure the dust cover is closed and you'll be fine.  

Make sure you move the selector switch between coats too, or you'll end up with a patch with no paint on it. 

Hawkkw, I would do what mr cheesy above has suggested

when I painted mine, I just taped and kitchen rolled things up.

mask your scope lenses and tape round the adjuster turrets on the scopes too

there ain’t a lot that can go wrong, depending on if you want a battle worn look or if you want a factory finish look - best strip it down

Archived