Showing you got a 'kill' in a video

BibbsOnTour
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've seen it mentioned here and there that sometimes the way people represent themselves getting a 'kill' in their videos can be a bit annoying or otherwise frowned upon as some people edit in their hit markers when it's quite possible that they didn't even hit their target but hey, it makes for a better kill streak!

My question to you lovely people is:

How would you prefer for these 'kills' to be represented?

I'm editing a video at the moment and at first I did opt for the choice of just doing nothing but without having been there on the day sometimes some of the more obscure shots are difficult to make out whether I hit or not (even I have trouble telling from watching the video just once or twice so I have to squint for some of them before I can make out the player raising their hand!)

What's your guys' thoughts anyway?

Ultimately no mater what people say on here the kills are the meat and potatoes of the videos. No one wants to watch me hold a stairwell for 10 minutes not firing a shot. Although if I'm honest no one wants to watch me kill 5 guys or hold a stairwell for 10 minutes heh. Not a fan of the hit markers myself and when they shoot 5 times and 5 markers pop up on the same guy I am very sceptical. I don't know if it matters all that much how you edit it so just do what you prefer.

I keep my deaths in so to not give people the wrong idea and to set peoples expectations on what airsoft actually is. No kill screen or hit markers for me hell I don't even put music over the top because if people wanted to listen to music while they watch they would put some on IMO. Occasionally I freeze frame and highlight something happening or about to happen if it's not obvious. 

I also keep my team kills in I got 2 last game day and both of them were so salty they went back to safe zone instead of respawn 😤

This post makes me feel so old.

I’ve never even gotten into music videos, let alone any other films on the interweb, I just don’t give a shit, I am officially an old man 🥃🥃

imo, It's all about being ahead of the trend, back in the day, not many people could record themselves playing video games, so people flocked to them on Youtube. Now everyone and their Nan has the ability to record their video games and no one gives a shit about a generic player's generic double kill w/e. Novritsch was one of the first people to bring a professional recording level to airsoft gameplay,  and now its the same scenario, lots of people bringing GoPros to their skirmishes thinking that their gameplay, regardless of how good the editing / actual content is, will make it big in a very saturated 'video market'.

I'd say the next step that most people haven't been able to nail is to stream Airsoft gameplay live to Twitch, I reckon whoever is able to pull that off successfully will make a decent buck.

The only one I've seen that uses a decent method of showing a kill is swampsniper, solely because his "hit markers" are small circles placed where the BB actually hit the person. He also uses slow motion a lot, which helps with tracking the BB..

Another idea is what CamMan's been doing lately with the reticle flashing when hitting someone.

BF style hit markers are lame, too big, too chaotic, 9 times out of 10 in random places..

• Supporters

tbh unless i see the player take the hit, or it's possible to see in the camera that the round made it's mark i generally assume a miss.

whilst it's possible they're editing in the battlefield style markers for hits they remember making but can't be seen in the camera i doubt it, ask yourself this- can you remember any of the hits you made last game day?

alexander has the right line though- there's much more to this sport than just a kill reel. and i'm not sure the whole "airsoft cheater gets shot in the balls by 500fps sniper that should be banned" clickbait is that good for the hobby either.

I prefer seeing a small red dot to a stupidly big marker.

If you see the player raise their hand you know they took a hit so I trust those but adding a hit mark and not seeing the player reaction suggests a miss.

I don't watch any of the sniper videos anymore.  Airsoft Camman is good but even those get a bit samey and I don't like bloody camping snipers :D

Action vids are hard to do because of all the shaking so I guess that's why there aren't more.

The US games are OK to watch but they're always urban combat so it would be good to see more woodland general gaming.

I only recently started recording my game day and I have no intention of trying to become a youtube super star. I recorded my footage to show my family what I get up to and why I have tiny little circles over my body. I also like to watch it to see who  shot who first or to see if I actually did shoot people. I had to learn video editing to do this so it was a learning curve but by the time I got to this video I had learned enough to make a semi serviceable video. For the video it helps that I have a tracer as you see my hits clearly as long as you actually see my target. Sometimes you just see red flying  in to the darkness and you hear a "HIT". Any criticism is welcome I was torn on if I shout cut out cheaters from my videos entirely but I went with just not highlighting them or ranting about them. Sometimes you don't feel the hit and I think it shows the hobby how it is. You might get some calls that don't go your way just move on and keep playing. I seen Silverfox leave him getting told off by a marshal in his video for over killing which he could of cut out and played it cool like hes above the law (he might be) but he left it in so people have a realistic expectation that lighting someone up with 5 shots is a bit much. 

Best airsoft videos of all time have to come from Caferacing in my opinion the best and most original video mounted shooter in airsoft. Some of the things this guy came up with were insane and I'm surprised more people didn't follow suit in the way he changed camera mounts etc. Hit markers while good only mean something if you can actually see the BB in flight and landing on target, there's no point having a video full of hit markers if I can't see the BB hitting. Some videos are so full of hit markers I'd rather be watching videos of the yanks shouting bang bang at each other.

Caferacing was dank.

His "latest" scope cam is dope af, the one that uses a gopro and a 45° lens, so that the camera looks directly through the optic..

Its still boring target shooting at stationary unsuspecting enemy.

We need to see more action and firefights.

I know its easy to talk but I am gona try and do a vid with a 360 cam next time...

28 minutes ago, Skara said:

Caferacing was dank.

His "latest" scope cam is dope af, the one that uses a gopro and a 45° lens, so that the camera looks directly through the optic..

His was very engineered, you can get the same results using a 45 degree lens out of an element scope and then have get the same results from a 3d printed cage but actually installing it in his old scope was fucking incredible.

12 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Its still boring target shooting at stationary unsuspecting enemy.

We need to see more action and firefights.

I know its easy to talk but I am gona try and do a vid with a 360 cam next time...

It is but there's something about caferacing's videos that put majority of airsoft snipers today to shame. maybe its the fact hes not just after kills for his videos and actually shows patients and skill with his shots. Makes for a more enjoyable watch than the monotonous "sniper kills airosft player with MOAB firing sniper rifle from 1000000000000000000000000000 feet away" clickbait shit.

3 minutes ago, Musica said:

airsoft cam man did one of those it looked pretty cool. 

KM also uses one

• Supporters

Why not just have a counter bottom right corner for deaths and kills. And add to it every time you get a change?  Make it small enough not to get in the way, but big enough that those who want to see your KD can.

16 hours ago, Musica said:

Ultimately no mater what people say on here the kills are the meat and potatoes of the videos. No one wants to watch me hold a stairwell for 10 minutes not firing a shot. Although if I'm honest no one wants to watch me kill 5 guys or hold a stairwell for 10 minutes heh. Not a fan of the hit markers myself and when they shoot 5 times and 5 markers pop up on the same guy I am very sceptical. I don't know if it matters all that much how you edit it so just do what you prefer.

I keep my deaths in so to not give people the wrong idea and to set peoples expectations on what airsoft actually is. No kill screen or hit markers for me hell I don't even put music over the top because if people wanted to listen to music while they watch they would put some on IMO. Occasionally I freeze frame and highlight something happening or about to happen if it's not obvious. 

I also keep my team kills in I got 2 last game day and both of them were so salty they went back to safe zone instead of respawn 😤

Yeah I'm keeping all the goods and bads in as it's more of a 'what went on that day' than a look how good I am type video (because I'm not that good😂) and yea I agree with the 5 hitmarker thing haha

15 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

I've never made a vid, don't have the recording equipment just yet. Something I don't really like about most vids I watch is how they're literally just kill-reels - not highlight reels. If I were to make one it would be a mishmash of various clips - mistakes, accidents, kills, failed attacks, blah blah

That's exactly what mine is haha, I don't get enough kills to make a full video out of them maybe a Vine if it was still about😂

12 hours ago, UKCYukarin said:

I'd say the next step that most people haven't been able to nail is to stream Airsoft gameplay live to Twitch, I reckon whoever is able to pull that off successfully will make a decent buck.

Very true, however, that would certainly push away some people as you'd get the odd bit of action with all the walking from point to point and BS in between... Plus, unless someone was able to interact with their chat whilst they played it wouldn't be all that different from watching hours of raw footage!

6 hours ago, Skara said:

small circles placed where the BB actually hit the person

6 hours ago, EDcase said:

I prefer seeing a small red dot to a stupidly big marker.

This is the direction in which I was leaning to be honest, haven't seen him before though so I'll check him out!

6 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh unless i see the player take the hit, or it's possible to see in the camera that the round made it's mark i generally assume a miss.

whilst it's possible they're editing in the battlefield style markers for hits they remember making but can't be seen in the camera i doubt it, ask yourself this- can you remember any of the hits you made last game day?

alexander has the right line though- there's much more to this sport than just a kill reel. and i'm not sure the whole "airsoft cheater gets shot in the balls by 500fps sniper that should be banned" clickbait is that good for the hobby either.

I tend to remember if I watch the clip back 'oh yeah, I remember getting that one' but without the prompt, no 😂 and for sure, I wasn't planning on one of those titles anyway, you'll be glad to hear! Clickbait in some cases is a wise move, but as you say, other examples just tar the hobby with the wrong brush!

6 hours ago, EDcase said:

If you see the player raise their hand you know they took a hit so I trust those but adding a hit mark and not seeing the player reaction suggests a miss.

I don't watch any of the sniper videos anymore.  Airsoft Camman is good but even those get a bit samey and I don't like bloody camping snipers :D

Action vids are hard to do because of all the shaking so I guess that's why there aren't more.

The US games are OK to watch but they're always urban combat so it would be good to see more woodland general gaming.

That's mainly what I watched out for when picking my 'kills' so who knows, might have even got more than I thought!😜

My fancy new GoPro has 'hypersmoothing' which is genuinely amazing to see the comparison between my old one so that's not a problem here😉

And this video is all woodland so I've ticked your boxes!😂

6 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Best airsoft videos of all time have to come from Caferacing in my opinion the best and most original video mounted shooter in airsoft. Some of the things this guy came up with were insane and I'm surprised more people didn't follow suit in the way he changed camera mounts etc. Hit markers while good only mean something if you can actually see the BB in flight and landing on target, there's no point having a video full of hit markers if I can't see the BB hitting. Some videos are so full of hit markers I'd rather be watching videos of the yanks shouting bang bang at each other.

I'll have a look at him as never heard his name before! Might even nick a couple ideas if they're as good as you say!😁

And yeah that's the idea I'm going for, as minimal as possible whilst still showing the hits🤔

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

Why not just have a counter bottom right corner for deaths and kills. And add to it every time you get a change?  Make it small enough not to get in the way, but big enough that those who want to see your KD can.

That's actually a pretty good idea, didn't even cross my mind yet it's rather simple!

Video finished, I went for a red dot with a fairly quiet (yet noticeable if you're listening for) metallic 'ting' sound...

Let me know what you think😁

'kills' start at 1:05

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. You've done well with headcam footage alone. Using more than one camera would improve the video though I believe. Scopecams are good to help see the hits and a selfycam helps to show what kit you have and what stance your using at the time, although it's a bit like 'hey look at me, I'm cool', it does look better in videos and it is what people want to see IMO. It's more interesting to watch as well I would say, when you can break the footage up with the different camera angles. Your footage looks good though and the camera is set up well as far as I can tell, the editing seemed nice too. I am no expert in these matter though.

17 hours ago, Luke9K said:

I like it. You've done well with headcam footage alone. Using more than one camera would improve the video though I believe. Scopecams are good to help see the hits and a selfycam helps to show what kit you have and what stance your using at the time, although it's a bit like 'hey look at me, I'm cool', it does look better in videos and it is what people want to see IMO. It's more interesting to watch as well I would say, when you can break the footage up with the different camera angles. Your footage looks good though and the camera is set up well as far as I can tell, the editing seemed nice too. I am no expert in these matter though.

Thanks mate! And yeah, I was speaking to someone the other day about it and he runs a few cameras and said exactly what you said about keeping the video flowing and it's also useful for transitioning from one clip to another!

I'll start saving for a second camera!😅

27 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

Thanks mate! And yeah, I was speaking to someone the other day about it and he runs a few cameras and said exactly what you said about keeping the video flowing and it's also useful for transitioning from one clip to another!

I'll start saving for a second camera!😅

If I was getting a zoom camera I'd get https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/fpv-camera-gimbals/runcam-scope-cam-airsoft-security-25mm-35mm-50mm 35mm for regular  AEG engagement  25mm for CQB  but honestly at this point head cameras or regular cameras are just as fine, 50mm for snipers. 

1 minute ago, Musica said:

If I was getting a zoom camera I'd get https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/fpv-camera-gimbals/runcam-scope-cam-airsoft-security-25mm-35mm-50mm 35mm for regular  AEG engagement  25mm for CQB  but honestly at this point head cameras or regular cameras are just as fine, 50mm for snipers. 

Yeah they're definitely a contender for me.

I do really like the little peq box that Jet runs with the two cameras in it (selfie and zoom cam)... IIRC it's made by BrainXploder but can't remember much else about it, would assume it'll be fairly pricy though

14 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

I do really like the little peq box that Jet runs with the two cameras in it (selfie and zoom cam)... IIRC it's made by BrainXploder but can't remember much else about it, would assume it'll be fairly pricy though

https://www.brainexplodermerch.com/

Archived