Hug a Marshal !

Nick G
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Organised and ran my first game day today, my god marshals deserve a medal ! Organising airsofters is worse than herding cats . Think I am more knackered than if I had actually played the games 😂

BuT mErShAlS uNfeR REEEEEEEEE

:P

how was it like to finally have the power?

Lol, felt very God like ! But I swear the next person who asked ' what's respawn ?' during a game , after you made it very clear in the brief and asked for any questions , was in danger of a serious dose of sarcasm 😂

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

Lol, felt very God like ! But I swear the next person who asked ' what's respawn ?' during a game , after you made it very clear in the brief and asked for any questions , was in danger of a serious dose of sarcasm 😂

I always hate being the one to ask as I know this is definitely what's on their mind but sometimes I really did listen and I just forgot 😂

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Nick G said:

Organising airsofters is worse than herding cats .  

I like to equate airsoft to a red arrows air display , marshal gives the game brief , marshal gives the teams there objectives , you may even get a few ‘keen’ players saying “I’ve done this one before so we need to do X,Y and Z to win” most players start muttering encouraging noises to this sage advise , the marshal shout “game on !” and this is the red arrows bit , at the end of the display the team leader shouts “break break break !” In to his headset and the planes all shoot off in different directions AND that’s exactly what most airsofters do when game on is called ! They just run off in every possible direction and I swear to god if it wasn’t for the fact 9 out of 10 times you start off on the perimeter of the site so you can’t actually go backwards then I’m sure some would run off in THAT direction as well ! One minute you’ve got 20or30 players standing waiting to start and supposedly follow the game plan and the next there’s like 5or6 of you standing there thinking

“well that went as expected !” 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters

I've not done much in the way of marshalling beyond being mistaken for one occasionally when not playing, but i have herded cats and i can confirm that of the 2 the cats are easier, at least you can just open a pack of ham and lead them on a merry adventure.

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

open a pack of ham and lead them on a merry adventure

Imagine opening a pack of Mars or whatever is the most popular snack in the UK during a game.

• Supporters
47 minutes ago, Skara said:

Imagine opening a pack of Mars or whatever is the most popular snack in the UK during a game.

problem is you're gonna get that 1 guy who's like "screw you i dont want your chocolate bars"

that said, i have a cat that does exactly that with a pack of ham :P

• Supporters
  • At least half the players have no idea what's happening or what they should be doing. 5-10% are not even aware of the most basic rules or even safety.
  • If there is a slight chance they can screw up the designed gameplay, they will.
  • If you don't explicitly tell them about a rule that's usually true everywhere, there will be some who assume they can do it. ie.: breaking windows, climbing roofs, trees if you don't tell them not to.
  • You'll need to rebalance the teams during the day.
  • You'll need to be able to lend some equipment if you want to keep them in play.
  • Don't assume any teamplay or communication between players unless you give them the means. You think the team knows something but they are individuals and can't plan as a group.
  • Chrono needs at least 2 ppl for one chrono, 3 for 2 chronos.

It's cool to see if players are having a good time.

cats are easier... us a lazer and they will chase(got my folks one recently and its not pretty much a remote control cat...)

ike one of my most recent games my tem got to spawn hen started asking all the basic questions... resaid everything the marshal said showed how to use mags ec....

fortunately the other team heard even less.. including the start whistle so we very quickly had them surrounded. sigh never mind telling people to keep masks on etc

• Supporters
2 hours ago, remus said:

sigh never mind telling people to keep masks on etc

it's scary when you see folk doing that, remember i had a kid pull his mask in front of me mid-game, ran up to shield his face and get him to put it back on meanwhile folk are still shooting at us.

also plenty of instances of folk not keeping mags wound, failing to understand hop units are a thing, or my favourite "i had him square in my scope on 9x how did i not hit him?" when a quick check shows the gun's shooting 3' to the left.

Archived