Baofeng BF 888 Licence

Delgado900
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Need a bit of help I keep looking into licences and get so god damn confused ....

So me and 3 mates have Baofeng BF 888's and 2 of us used to use them for driving holidays but the person who owns the licence is not in our airsoft group.

The radios have 16 preset frequencies so my question is do you need a licence to operate these ? I understand the radios power is too much so makes me think we need a licence.

Am I right in thinking the licence people apply for is a business simple uk licence ? Do I need to go on a course ?........ HALPPPPPP

I know this has been covered so many times but I just want to double check unless the law has changes recently etc.

Thanks in advance for your Radio wisdom 

27 minutes ago, Monkman said:

I don't know anyone who has a licence.... :)

I do, and I also know someone else who doesn’t speed 

Just because it’s common to ignore the law and the likelihood of getting caught is low does not mean we should all break the law

If using PMR unlicenced frequencies and PMR compliant handsets then no licence is required 

Baofeng 888s can operate on PMR frequencies but are not compliant handsets, because they are programmable beyond the PMR range and are overpowered.

They should be operated under licence, and at £75 for 5 years that’s £15 per year covering a group of people 

Archived