Do I need a Bergen

CDT-BABZ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys

New to Airsofting. I've got a Plate Carrier, AEG, uniform, boots and a smaller backpack, however, do Airsofters here often get Bergens?

I want to get into MilSims which last 24-48 hours, but do people bring everything in one Bergen which they're expected to carry around throughout the ex for 24/48 hours, or, do they leave the bergen back at base (which has sleeping bag etc) and go out with a smaller pack like a CamelBak assault pack etc (20-30L or so)?

Thanks

• Supporters

milsims vary by site or event, but if your playing is gonna be focused on mainly milsim I'd say yeah, pick up one, even if its a bit of a trek from the safezone to a fob, you'll be glad of a decent pack rather than a sports bag etc, especially if your carrying water & other kit for 2 or 3 days, weight soon adds up.

good thing is they can be picked up dirt cheap s/h, don't worry about specific camo such as mtp which push the price high, as camo covers are available, I've got 2 different sizes in OD.

• Supporters

I've been playing MILSIM games for about 7 years now and in that time I've only been to 2 that absolutely required a bergen.  Most of the time you end up living in a FOB style setup and having all your stuff there for the whole weekend.  99% of the time I take a big holdall with my stuff in it, and very rarely do I take a day sack out with me, if you need food when you're out and about take some mars bars and a bottle of water. 

• Supporters

same here, I think only once did I carry it constantly, I reckon out of 48hrs I was was wearing it for about 40, but that was a B20 style E&E game, hard work & a lot of guys dropped out, most others have been working out of a fob, much easier.

I'd say have a mooch on ebay, maybe save a couple of searchs with varying terms, ie bergan/Bergen/military backpack etc, & set a relatively low price range, that way you'll hopefully pick up a bargain, last thing you need is a load of money tied up up in something you hardly ever use.

• Supporters

Plce will serve you well, what colour or camo did you go with ?, & is it long or short back ?

I ask about the length as the long can be a pain with belt order rear pouches or similar kit in that area, if I'm gonna need to use my long Bergen due to the amount of kit I'm gonna need to carry, then I usually use a bulle molle platform, it's a molle platform somewhere between traditional webbing & a chest rig, exceptionally comfortable & no pouches on the rear section so nothing to interfere with the Bergen, or more importantly nothing to cause you pain.

theyre also very cheap (but good quality), so worth considering as an alternative to your pc depending on what types of milsim your attending.

my earlier post I mentioned a 48hr game that was pretty hardcore, & where a lot of guys dropped out throughout it, thing was, at the time I was 46ish & still recovering from a stint in intensive care 5 or 6 months before (pancreatitis/burst ulcers/sepsis), & my fitness was not great, but most of the guys that dropped out were half my age, but the biggest problem was their kit, or lack of it, weather was shite & mismatched load carrying equipment along with poor choices of clothing for the conditions meant many were on their uppers only twelve hours in.

while I wobbled a bit, the right kit must have played a critical part in me keeping going, something to consider if you get in to it seriously, & ffs, make sure your prepared for the weather, half of the numpties were in t-shirts in October, BBC weather website is your friend for a few days before the event.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Plce will serve you well, what colour or camo did you go with ?, & is it long or short back ?

I ask about the length as the long can be a pain with belt order rear pouches or similar kit in that area, if I'm gonna need to use my long Bergen due to the amount of kit I'm gonna need to carry, then I usually use a bulle molle platform, it's a molle platform somewhere between traditional webbing & a chest rig, exceptionally comfortable & no pouches on the rear section so nothing to interfere with the Bergen, or more importantly nothing to cause you pain.

theyre also very cheap (but good quality), so worth considering as an alternative to your pc depending on what types of milsim your attending.

my earlier post I mentioned a 48hr game that was pretty hardcore, & where a lot of guys dropped out throughout it, thing was, at the time I was 46ish & still recovering from a stint in intensive care 5 or 6 months before (pancreatitis/burst ulcers/sepsis), & my fitness was not great, but most of the guys that dropped out were half my age, but the biggest problem was their kit, or lack of it, weather was shite & mismatched load carrying equipment along with poor choices of clothing for the conditions meant many were on their uppers only twelve hours in.

while I wobbled a bit, the right kit must have played a critical part in me keeping going, something to consider if you get in to it seriously, & ffs, make sure your prepared for the weather, half of the numpties were in t-shirts in October, BBC weather website is your friend for a few days before the event.

Thanks for your reply. I know the PLCE system quite well as I was issued it many years ago, however I thought things would've moved on by now and expected more Gucci kit to be out there, but it seems PLCE is the way to go. I've bought a PLCE Bergan in Multicam alongside a normal day sack which can attach the rocket pouches for extra gear.

It's a short back Bergen, however I'll be running it alongside a Warrior plate carrier, but as you've mentioned, I guess I'll be using it mainly to transport gear from car to FOB and can then take my day sack out with hydration and other bits and bobs in the back.

With milsims, do the FOBs have creature comforts like running water and toilets, or are they just outposts/shed/billet type buildings? I am starting off with normal Skirmishes but really want to get into games with the full immersive experience. 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, CDT-BABZ said:

With milsims, do the FOBs have creature comforts like running water and toilets, or are they just outposts/shed/billet type buildings? I am starting off with normal Skirmishes but really want to get into games with the full immersive experience. 

Again, depends on the site, the scenarios, or even what side your lucky (or unlucky) enough to be on, some sites have facilities akin to the Hilton, others just have a muddy bomb crater on offer, just luck of the draw, but to be fair, fob's tend to be out in the playing areas, so unlikely to offer the facilities usually only found in the safe zone.

While I've never played any of their games, my understanding is that Sterling are the people for the full immersive experience, I'm sure plenty of other members here tried their games.

you said you were issued plce years ago, so if you've served ?,are you sure you want to get in to the hardcore milsims, sometimes the more realistic "games" involve more tabbing/map reading/hanging around etc, than actual contacts, yep it is therefore fairly true to life, but if you've done it as a job, the idea of paying to do the sometimes mundane bits can quickly lose its appeal.

the only true milsims I've played were because there was a "hook" to them for me, mates playing/legendary sites etc, otherwise I stick to regular gamedays as an "outlet".

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

Again, depends on the site, the scenarios, or even what side your lucky (or unlucky) enough to be on, some sites have facilities akin to the Hilton, others just have a muddy bomb crater on offer, just luck of the draw, but to be fair, fob's tend to be out in the playing areas, so unlikely to offer the facilities usually only found in the safe zone.

While I've never played any of their games, my understanding is that Sterling are the people for the full immersive experience, I'm sure plenty of other members here tried their games.

you said you were issued plce years ago, so if you've served ?,are you sure you want to get in to the hardcore milsims, sometimes the more realistic "games" involve more tabbing/map reading/hanging around etc, than actual contacts, yep it is therefore fairly true to life, but if you've done it as a job, the idea of paying to do the sometimes mundane bits can quickly lose its appeal.

the only true milsims I've played were because there was a "hook" to them for me, mates playing/legendary sites etc, otherwise I stick to regular gamedays as an "outlet".

Yeah as weird it as it sounds, although I may not miss the tabbing as much, I do miss the night-ex/camping element, the full day immersion rather than like rocking up to a site for a few hours. I'm not saying I'll always do Milsims, probably one every few months as due to work commitments I can't always be away for 48 hours, however when I do, I do want it to be realistic as possible. 

However resonating with what you've said, I'm taking MilSim to be the YouTube videos that I've seen of like MilSim west and the like? Does that sort of stuff only happen in the U.S?

Archived