Help with BB's

Harry Furness
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok Guys,

So i'm relatively new to air softing been playing around 4-5 Months and have really enjoyed it. the one issue i am having is the understanding of the different weights of BB's. i currently use 0.25g's and a friend of mine is using 0.20g's but i have no idea what the actual difference is in terms of performance or range or anything really. i ask as i'm thinking of getting into sniping and then there are a whole new range off BB's to consider. 

Please can someone explain the difference and whats best or just an explanation of the whole different weights of BB's to me please and thank you

• Supporters

Heavier the better until a point where the gun can't apply enough hopup to it.

As a rule of thumb: the FPS should be around 300-320, that's the sweet spot. Heavier BBs have lower fps in the same gun, but lighter BBs slow down in air much quicker. This results that heavier BBs get to the target quicker, are way more accurate and fly further.

In a field legal AEG 0.25-0.28g BBs work the best.

BBs affect accuracy and effective range of the gun more than anything else so it is imperative to buy the best quality available if not looking for the spray and pray play style.

16 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Heavier the better until a point where the gun can't apply enough hopup to it.

As a rule of thumb: the FPS should be around 300-320, that's the sweet spot. Heavier BBs have lower fps in the same gun, but lighter BBs slow down in air much quicker. This results that heavier BBs get to the target quicker, are way more accurate and fly further.

In a field legal AEG 0.25-0.28g BBs work the best.

BBs affect accuracy and effective range of the gun more than anything else so it is imperative to buy the best quality available if not looking for the spray and pray play style.

Ok great now at least i understand the difference and applications of them. 

So you mention that the sweet spot is between 300-320, the problem is im hitting 285 consistently with my gun running 0.25g's which for some reason i decided was my preference. have you any idea how i can increase the FPS slightly to reach the so called sweet spot?

6 minutes ago, E21A said:

The 300-320 quoted will be when measured with .20s 

If you put some .20s in and chrono you’ll probably be about right 

yeah its funny you say that as when chrono'd on 0.20g's it is hitting 300 consistently.  

OK so changing the conversation slightly, what do i need to upgrade in order to get that extra 5-10 meters distance out out of my gun? im currently around 40-50 but my friend has that exra few meters on me on 0.2g's so how do i get to where he is on 0.25g's?

8 minutes ago, Harry Furness said:

yeah its funny you say that as when chrono'd on 0.20g's it is hitting 300 consistently.  

OK so changing the conversation slightly, what do i need to upgrade in order to get that extra 5-10 meters distance out out of my gun? im currently around 40-50 but my friend has that exra few meters on me on 0.2g's so how do i get to where he is on 0.25g's?

Good place to start is barrel, nub and bucking.

What ones you get depends purely on your budget.

• Supporters

Don't touch your box, maybe a better hop/rubber, & give .28's a try, go for the simplest methods first before you rip it apart unnecessarily, sometimes it's all you need.

i once stopped a guy from wrapping his m4 round a tree mid-game, having a major paddy because it had no distance or accuracy, 15 minutes in the safe zone with it & I found the hop nub rubber was missing, with no alternative to hand I ended up substituting it with a similar sized bit of twig, not my finest work but f#ck me it was shooting like a Death Star laser afterwards, which proves sometimes simple tweaks work wonders, & I'm no tech.

4 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Don't touch your box, maybe a better hop/rubber, & give .28's a try, go for the simplest methods first before you rip it apart unnecessarily, sometimes it's all you need.

i once stopped a guy from wrapping his m4 round a tree mid-game, having a major paddy because it had no distance or accuracy, 15 minutes in the safe zone with it & I found the hop nub rubber was missing, with no alternative to hand I ended up substituting it with a similar sized bit of twig, not my finest work but f#ck me it was shooting like a Death Star laser afterwards, which proves sometimes simple tweaks work wonders, & I'm no tech.

Yeah i had one of the tech's local to me take a look at it recently as in before my last game and he put some grease and give it a clean and put a new spring in which did help but am i just being greedy? 

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Harry Furness said:

but am i just being greedy? 

of course not, we all want our kit to perform well, but before you start paying techs to squeeze a bit more fps out of it, look at things like the air seal, sometimes a bit if correctly applied ptfe tape gets you another 10-30 fps, costs pennies & maybe combined with an improved hop set up will get you where you want to be ?.

plenty of vids on youtube, & guys on here to point you in the right direction.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Harry Furness said:

285 consistently with my gun running 0.25g

That's 0.94J which would equate to 318fps with 0.2g, which isn't awful

The easiest way to get an energy boost without opening your gearbox is to fit a tightbore or longer barrel.  I'm not saying that it's guaranteed, and I'm not saying which one you'll want: it'll be tighter if your cylinder is under-volumed, longer if it's over-volumed.

Actually, the easier way is probably to give your barrel a good clean.

46 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

That's 0.94J which would equate to 318fps with 0.2g, which isn't awful

The easiest way to get an energy boost without opening your gearbox is to fit a tightbore or longer barrel.  I'm not saying that it's guaranteed, and I'm not saying which one you'll want: it'll be tighter if your cylinder is under-volumed, longer if it's over-volumed.

Actually, the easier way is probably to give your barrel a good clean.

Ok thanks for the advice ill give it a good clean thanks mate.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, E21A said:

The 300-320 quoted will be when measured with .20s

No. I meant regardless of weight. If you have a high powered sniper rifle, it still shoots best around 300-320fps measured with heavy BBs in my experience.

If your gun shoots 285, then get it fixed / upgraded by someone who actually knows how to.

Archived