WW2 Weapon bias

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is it just me that notices umpteen different manufacturer's that make airsoft k98's, a few mp40's, lugers and mg42's. 

Where as on the allied side theres gradually less and less providers of rifs.  I know of a few makes of m1 garands and a fair few thompsons knocking about.  As for british guns theres next to nothing. A sten gun made by agm and redwolfairsoft's lee endfield.  I know there was a bar but i have never seen one at a game and shootnscoot used to put vsr internals into a lee enfield body kit.  But also why no bren gun?

How come allied weapons are not as popular?  I can only assume its a demand thing.  Personally im waiting for any further news on the g&g lee enfield that was teased about a year back.  

Just a small rant at what i can only see as a gap in the market.  Or the extention of the internet view that anything made by the germans was better.

11:30 is the reference i was after 

• Supporters

i suspect it's because when it comes to the ww2 stuff a lot of it is aimed more at re-enactors than actual players, a lot of ww2 stuff isn't as skirmishable when put up against the sea of m4's. in that case it stands to reason that german kit would be more popular as it's much more expensive to get your hands on than say a lee enfield so more folk would want a cheaper replica. that said, i've seen a decent amount of allied kit, we're forgetting the mosin's, ppsh's, tokarev's, bren's etc that you see floating around.

as for that video i disagree, if the mg34/42 was a poor platform then i'd like to know why all they did after ww2 was fit it with a polymer stock and chamber it for .308 while the rest of the world said "hang on maybe this universal machine gun idea ain't half bad". what guns an individual soldier has aren't the only part of winning a war- look at the russians running around with arguably the worst bolt action rifle a bunch of maxim's and tactics lifted straight from 1915 flanders and they still managed to give the reich a thrashing.

however granted the bren wasn't a bad gun, and probably deserves more recognition, as light machine guns go it certainly had merit and in that specific role would be better for door kicking than a '42 but then door kicking with a '42 is a dumb ass thing to do when you have someone with an mp40 or stg for that very job.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

as for that video i disagree, if the mg34/42 was a poor platform

It doesn't say that it was a poor platform.  It says that it was intended for a different purpose (area suppression) than the Bren, and that it did that pretty well, although with a big appetite for ammunition and barrels.

As noted by multiple contemporary observers, that tended to result in the squad becoming focussed on supporting the MG, rather than the other way around.

As to length of service, if you want a Bren (or a close derivative), they're apparently still making them in India.

@Adolf Hamster i will admit to completely forgetting about russian gear.  Also i have never seen a bren in person or online that isnt a home built or modified zb-30. 

I dunno. This all boils down to wanting a bren of enfield.  Hope g&g do a good one.  But i doubt it.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

There was a company called "Zeta Labs" that started to make an Enfield in 2012, if memory serves. They took a shitload of money in pre-orders, then shut down abruptly overnight. Bailiffs entering the property found racks upon racks of unfinished RIFs :(

There are a fair few out there. On the Allied side we've got the Garand, Thompson, Grease gun, BAR, M1919, M1 Carbine (para and non), Sten, Springfield and the Lee Enfield, off the top of my head. Might actually be more than the German ones to be honest. And most of those are quite accessible (not looking at you Lee Enfield, you pricey, pricey bugger).

I know what you mean about the Bren through. The ZB30 has been out a while, and S&T have released their Type 96. They're so close, but no cigar 😂  And another thing, early war Thompsons? Nowhere. I need a M1928 in my life 😁

@Greg147  you say that. But how many are still in production?  And often there was only one manufacturer that made them. Maybe 2.  

Whereas the k98? There g&g, double bell, tanaka, d-boys with options in gas type or springer.  Clearly a much bigger market in buying these replicas.

Mp40's thompsons and stens are however more likely to standup to the hoards of m4's as @Adolf Hamster said so i understand those as being more popular.

Tbh. Double bell do a spring k98 thats quite cheap on taiwangun.  Though i have never heard of them before now. Shell ejecting though. So even less skirmishable.  £11 for 5 spare shells.... i see how they plan on making their money

All the ones I've listed are in production, some are just a little pricey. I think except the Springfield, my local airsoft shop has offered all of those in the past year (and the Springfield from G&G is readily available online). Indeed, often it's only one manufacturer who offered each model, but one's better than none, right? 😉

S&T seem to be coming out with some new and interesting ones, not Allied but they've released two Japanese rifles and a machine gun this year. The King Arm's M1A1 and RWA Enfield are quite new as well. I think we'll be seeing more coming in the future, there's clearly a market for it. Only a matter of time before a Bren comes along.

Archived