Sending RIFs within the UK - My Experiences

Smooth_Operator
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've seen a few threads regarding which courier or postal service to send RIFs with. 

I figured I'd share my experience in the hope that it'll be helpful for someone! 

Would be interested to hear any experiences that others have had also. 

Parcel Force 48: Would Recommend

Used for sending a TM MK23 Socom. 

No hassle when I sent it (from my local post office). Although I've heard that they can be a bit funny about sending gas magazines because they're technically a pressurised container. 

I specified that it is a low powered air gun (as per the instructions on their website) and all was well. Delivered well within the 48hr time window and arrived undamaged. 

UPS: Would Recommend

Used to send a WE G39C GBB and 6 gas mags. 

Booked online via their website and dropped off at my local UPS collection point (in a wee shop in the centre of Perth). 

Easy process to follow to book the delivery and print the label. Marked it as 'Airsoft Toy'. 

Delivered inside the 48hr estimate without any issues - brilliant tracking for both buyer and seller as well. 

I went with UPS because I've been sent a few AEGs from shops by their service, so it's clear that they won't mind sending RIFs. 

DHL: Would Not Recommend

You may have seen my recent thread regarding this, so I'll keep it brief. 

DHL and UKMail merged a while back and it seemingly didn't go well for their IT systems. 

DHL lost a rare (out of production) AEG that was being sent to me a month or so ago. 

I've not sent a RIF with them, but from the recipient end it has left a really bad taste. 

That said, they're reasonably priced and will ship RIFs without question - so may be an option for some sellers. 

• Supporters

Eh.  I just send stuff through MyHermes, marked as "sporting goods".  I assume they're all pretty much equally incompetent, averaged over time, and that none of them really give a stuff what they're carrying.

That's vendor trash though. If I were sending anything actually valuable, I'd probably go Parcel Farce 48, although once you get above £200 value the costs are usurious: £4.50 for every further £100.  That's as much as admitting that they lose or damage at about 1 in 20 parcels.

I’ve bought and sold a couple of hundred RIF’s more or less.

Almost all via postal services, only a handful face to face.

So far, haven’t lost anything. One near

miss with MyHermes but a short call to their customer complaints and an explanation of what the package contained and that I’d  have to inform the Police that a replica firearm went missing, and it turned up the next day funnily enough 😂😂😂😂.

Im fairly careful, packaging batteries correctly, removing valves so mags cannot be pressurised etc etc.

Received RIF’s from all the major players, but only ever use RM or Parcel Force to send, zero sensing issues.

I use parcel force and Royal Mail - had no issues what so ever with them. Just ensure they are tracked and the addresses are very clear!

As far as I know Parcel Force 48 is the only carrier who will (knowingly) ship a RIF in the UK but this is without insurance.  When the other half has sent stuff he's always declared it as a low powered air gun, the local post office know us now so we don't have to do the 'we can't ship them', 'yes you do ship them' , 'Oh, i'll have to check' dance.  Batteries cannot be shipped on their own with any carrier unless they're installed in the thing they're powering.  I'm sure you can post anything and it'll most likely get through, but have heard RIFs and batteries being destroyed by various delivery companies so it is a risk.

We've had to jump through many hoops and provide lots of information in order to get special licenses to ship RIF's and batteries through the UPS network as a business, it's been beyond painful.....

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Airsoft Anonymous Ltd said:

but have heard RIFs and batteries being destroyed by various delivery companies

Destroyed, as in "We destroyed your item, and we're not sorry at all"?

I would genuinely be interested to know where you heard this, and whether it was ever evidenced directly by the sender.

30 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Destroyed, as in "We destroyed your item, and we're not sorry at all"?

I would genuinely be interested to know where you heard this, and whether it was ever evidenced directly by the sender.

It's not happened to us personally so no evidence as such but have heard about it through others.  Maybe it's just an airsoft urban legend 😂

Archived