Which weapon to choose

Pewpewpetie
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, relatively new to airsoft. Currently running slightly upgraded raider, but still heavily outranged ony local outdoor site. Am I best going down the sniper route i.e an ssg24 or are there any aegs that are fairly accurate around the 250 ft mark. Have a budget of £400, so ideally need something that's not going to need upgrading

• Supporters

When you say ‘heavily out ranged’ who by ? Are we talking a few players or everyone else on the field ? plus what range ARE you getting from your gun ? Mite be your just over estimating the capabilities of your gun or giving the other players guns too much credit and not factoring the weather (wind even very slightly against you) or even the fire isn’t coming from the players you ‘think’ are hitting you ?

plus what ‘slight’ upgrades has your gun got ? Plus who did them , did they know what they were doing or where they one of those “oh yes I’m a gun tech !” Types who actually have the tech skills of a monkey after it’s had a stroke ! 😳

will help a lot with a bit more info mate .👍

4 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

When you say ‘heavily out ranged’ who by ? Are we talking a few players or everyone else on the field ? plus what range ARE you getting from your gun ? Mite be your just over estimating the capabilities of your gun or giving the other players guns too much credit and not factoring the weather (wind even very slightly against you) or even the fire isn’t coming from the players you ‘think’ are hitting you ?

Hey thanks for reply. I'd say I'm outranged by the more expensive guns (aegs like krytac, g&g tr's, and the more expensive weapons) I understand the more I spend the better quality I'll get. But currently my g&g is only reaching 150 then drops off( not accurately) , I also have alot of flyers, I understand that changing hops will help alot, just don't want to throw any money into this gun. Already reshimmed, fixed compression and got a new green g&g bucking. I was looking at the g&g tr16 but as relatively new didn't want to spend that sort of money if it's not going to be great (as far as a stock gun goes). Also I'd say I'm outranged by at least 60% of players. Also considering switching to an ssg24.

• Supporters

Sadly, it sounds like you've got a lemon.  Plenty of us have, or have played with, G&G Raiders and found them to be very decent, and I don't qualify that with "for the price".

I mean, we all get the urge to buy new toys, but purely in terms of value for money, sorting what you've got will knock the socks off of buying new.

Just for starters, does your hop unit still have the spring attached at the front to keep it under tension?  Are all the screws in fairly tight?  Have you cleaned the barrel and rubber (with isopropanol, not silicone!)?  Have you reseated the rubber and checked that it's on straight and not kinked?

You are using 0.28g or above BBs, right?

• Supporters

I'd suggest adjusting playstyle too, 250ft I a heck of a long way in airsoft terms, most people with sniper rifles won't be hitting accurately at hat distance so you should be fine with a rifle that can hit half that 

12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sadly, it sounds like you've got a lemon.  Plenty of us have, or have played with, G&G Raiders and found them to be very decent, and I don't qualify that with "for the price".

I mean, we all get the urge to buy new toys, but purely in terms of value for money, sorting what you've got will knock the socks off of buying new.

Just for starters, does your hop unit still have the spring attached at the front to keep it under tension?  Are all the screws in fairly tight?  Have you cleaned the barrel and rubber (with isopropanol, not silicone!)?  Have you reseated the rubber and checked that it's on straight and not kinked?

You are using 0.28g or above BBs, right?

Yes I have no air leaks, all seals replaced with double o rings, all screws tight. I'm using .25 bbs. Hop up is clean and grease free, under tension still creating a good seal. Is there any stock guns that you would consider above average?

7 minutes ago, Pewpewpetie said:

Yes I have no air leaks, all seals replaced with double o rings, all screws tight. I'm using .25 bbs. Hop up is clean and grease free, under tension still creating a good seal. Is there any stock guns that you would consider above average?

Heavier BBs will typically give you more range, try 0.28s

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Pewpewpetie said:

Is there any stock guns that you would consider above average?

G&G Raiders.

Sorry, I know you're looking for a gun that will be guaranteed to just work perfectly out of the box and give you no trouble, but the honest answer is that:

1) Pretty much anything from a basic CYMA M4 or AK up should do that these days.

2) The quality control on toy guns means that any particular example might not.

Oh, how's your barrel?  Good and clean?  Not absolutely mullered inside?

I ask, because as an example of 2) above...

11 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sorry, I know you're looking for a gun that will be guaranteed to just work perfectly out of the box and give you no trouble, but the honest answer is that

Can confirm I wanted this and read the Evo was one of the best OOB guns you could get yet mine was broken on delivery. 

It's the luck of the draw sometimes. Just know when to fold em and when to hold em.

Yep, really is just a roll of the dice sometimes if you get a decent gun or not. It shouldnt be that way, and if you do get a lemon the retailer or manufacturer should sort it. But the QC in airsoft for many manufacturers is sadly pretty poor. An example of this is a cheap plastic tri shot shotgun I picked up last year in a black friday deal for 35 quid thats shoots just as well as any other shotgun ive come across, including a mates 350 quid metal, shell ejecting all singing all dancing shotgun. Whilst a G&G TR16 MBR 308 I dropped over £300 on and has rave reviews has given me nothing but problems since owning it. 

Archived