Inner barrel diameter

Craigmc1983
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

not sure, i suspect nominal bore size is secondary to overall quality/consistency.

i get excellent results from a 6.01 pdi, and i'm not going to argue against tightbores based on that alone, although they are much more demanding in terms of keeping them cleaned to get the best out of them.

what i have heard though, which makes some logical sense, is that widebores need a gun with plenty of gas going down the barrel, ie hpa's and gbb's rather than aeg's. but having never really done much experimentation with widebores i'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Diameter isn’t really that important, better internal finish is much more beneficial.

as @Adolf Hamster states, wide bore is more for hpa and gas guns. You need something that can provide an increase in air/gas volume to make up for the losses of a wide bore. 

I personally subscribed to the use of wide-bore barrel, in particular, the Orga 6.23  I use that in my AKs but it's also a combination of hop units, hop rubber and PTFE tape mods.

Currently using 6.05 PDIs in my normal aegs. Notice a bit better accuracy than the previous madbull/lonex types I used. 

Also picked up a 6.08 with the intention of using it with a PKM but have yet to install it.

Bore size only matters when adjusting fps to your limits.

I have noticed no difference between a 6.08 and the 6.03s I'm running in all my guns.

Wide bores are good for overvolumed guns like hpa, gbb and bolt action replicas, because (apparently) the excess air/gas creates a cushion between the bb and the inner barrel walls that keeps it centered. It also reduces joule creep as some of that gas doesn't actually push the bb

• Supporters

As said it's the quality and consistency of the finish that matters the most. The diameter is largely inconsequential as you'll get good results from either end of the spectrum. 

You can go mega tight at 6.01 to mid range at 6.05/.08 to mega wide with the orga 6.23s and get similar results. 

Just get the best brand you can with the money you have. The laylax ones are some of the best bang for your buck, ZCI are decent too. PDI and Edgi are at the top end but very strong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived