Fitting metal pistol slide to Marui

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that even with the best custom slides this is rarely a straight fir.

Which is the preferred method of getting the slide to fit:

1. Taking tiny bits off the rails  as required using a file and repeatedly checking for fit? 

2. Putting polishing compound on the frame rails, attaching the  slide and repeatedly racking it until it fits itself? 

The second method has more appeal to me. What's wrong with just forcing it on with a bit of teflon grease as an alternative to polishing compound and racking it to break it in?

I've fit detonator, pgc, guarder, shooters design all straight fit. On the rails anyway. Guarder was a 226 where you had to file the bbu housing to fit.

I've been looking at the Elite Shooting Centre site and pondering.

Is there any point in paying 200 quid for an exotic AW custom gun like a Combat Master or SAI when for £250 you can get a TM 5.1 with a metal slide and a few other little enhancements?

Of course if you don't really like Hi Capas the question would never arise for you, but then you wouldn't be interested in a John Wick lookalike gun or an SAI 2011 either. 

Now the Mike Cripps £250 custom hi capa might not be the best but you could always improve it over time by adding a metal barrel, steel recoil rod etc. But it would probably be a better long term bet than an AW. 

Has anybody bought a custom gun from Mike? Bury is not far from Bolton, where I live. Might be worth a visit.

I thought ESC was in Saffron Waldon?

The AW are basically WE with better quality control, the split slide AW H-Capa’s fire amazingly fast though.

I’ve owned two AW 2011’s both with poorly fitting slides. That’s is, loose. One was brand new, so it wasn’t a wear issue.

4 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks. I was thinking mainly of Hi  Capas.

If you had had to fit them would you have used a file or the natural erosion method?

Yep had few capa slides. Some were a tad loose but nothing terrible. If I needed to I would lightly and evenly as possible file the rails on the frame and keep checking till it ran smooth. That said you do need to diagnose where it's binding first and work on those areas. That's where the other method would come into it's own were it not for the case my wife would probably bludgeoning me to death with it after the 29th rack of the slide. 

Archived